Pontefract 25/9

Spooner

4:00 Weet A Surprise Arganil looks worthy favourite in this race but I will take Weet A Surprise to be the best of the rest, Most of her runs have came on the all weather, ran a few times on turf and has looked ok, She won at the start of her career at Warwick. The 5f trip is her favourite and she should go ok on the ground. Hayley Turner has rode this horse four times, With two wins in them four rides. Has chances at a big price. @ 20/1 Ladbrokes (Each-way)

Re: Pontefract 25/9 3.30 Pontefract I think previous course form is important at Pontefract because of the steep climb up to the finish. This race is only a nursery for 2 yo's so understandably few of the 9 runners have run here before. However, Maid for Music does have a run here under her belt and that may possibly put her at an advantage over the other 8 perhaps? Her career started out really well as she finished a fair second at Haydock on her debut run. She had Rosabee and Haven’t A Clue well back and both of those rivals have picked up wins since they went handicapping (off 67 and 76 respectively). Rosabee finished 2nd in Group 3 when last seen and was rated 84 for that run. She was then tried here over 6 furlongs and finished a fair 3rd. Although the form of the race isn’t anything to write home about I think that she will at least have benefited from having some experience of the Ponte hill that day. She shed her maiden tag at the third attempt when scoring over 7f at Salisbury. Again she didn’t beat much but at least the run highlighted she is able to get her head infront, something that cannot be said about all of these on the evidence of their form to date. Her last two runs have come in listed company and she has been outclassed on both occasions, finishing never nearer than 6.38 lengths off a winner and 6th on both runs. However, dropping down to class 4 level and making her handicap debut here she may be racing more at her level. She concedes weight all around here (rated 10 lbs higher than even the 2nd top weight) so for that reason my bet is more speculative than confident, but I do think there are positives about her - she should get the trip on breeding, she acts on the ground and has previous course experience. 10/1 Lads EW

Re: Pontefract 25/9 4.00 I've backed Hotham a couple of times this year and he carries top weight for this. As a CD winner drawn in stall 2, who acts on any ground, he ticks many boxes, but carrying a 6 lb penalty he is now 9 lbs above his latest winning mark. A drop in class may help here but I'm looking elsewhere. Comptonspirit is a CD winner too but stall 9 may not be ideal so I'm on Mr Wolf here who runs from stall 5. David Barker's gelding will race prominently so his draw is ideal and he has a fair CD record - 25327 this year. What those numbers do not indicate is how narrow some of those defeats were by - a short head second to Namir and half a length second to Comptonspirit (who had a favourable draw that day). What must also be taken into consideration is that two of those CD runs came from bad draws, in stalls 12 and 15, where he would have expended a great deal of energy getting into his favoured position, energy that he could have saved had he been drawn lower, in reserve for the steep climb in the final few furlongs. 5 of his 9 career wins have come at the West Yorkshire track, two over CD, and he is still on a competitive mark of 71. He's ran off 71 on his last two runs at Catterick, where he finished a 0.81 l 3rd, and at Chester when he again finished 3rd, this time beaten by a length by the 80-rated Bo McGinty and the improving Supermassive Muse who picked up that race off a mark of 79. He has his ground so if he can hang on to his lead he should have a chance here at 13/2.

Re: Pontefract 25/9 4.00 Joyeaux 25/1 BetDirect/Stan james Open looking class 5, 5f handicap here and although the golden rule is to follow sprinters in form, i am taking a small punt on joyeaux here. Admittedly the filly has not been setting the world alight this season, but has had only two runs back since having a pretty good last back end. the handicapper is helping however dropping her from a mark of 67 1st run back to 60 today, with the useful duran duran fentiman taking another 3lbs off. looking at the runs last year, which included two seconds at ponty(one being todays corresponding race), off marks of 59 and 61 over todays trip. any reproduction of those runs should see her go close, so i reckon the 25's on offer is too big.

Re: Pontefract 25/9 What time was Ascot Lime declared a non runner? I fancied Luberon but also because I didn't fancy the fav. I don't think i'd have backed Luberon at 11-4 fav. Same thing happened other day when I posted a horse at 6-1, it won but a non runner brought the price in to 7-2. Frustrating recently, I try find fav's to oppose then the bloody things keep getting withdrawn affecting the whole market.

Re: Pontefract 25/9

4.00 I've backed Hotham a couple of times this year and he carries top weight for this. As a CD winner drawn in stall 2, who acts on any ground, he ticks many boxes, but carrying a 6 lb penalty he is now 9 lbs above his latest winning mark. A drop in class may help here but I'm looking elsewhere. Comptonspirit is a CD winner too but stall 9 may not be ideal so I'm on Mr Wolf here who runs from stall 5. David Barker's gelding will race prominently so his draw is ideal and he has a fair CD record - 25327 this year. What those numbers do not indicate is how narrow some of those defeats were by - a short head second to Namir and half a length second to Comptonspirit (who had a favourable draw that day). What must also be taken into consideration is that two of those CD runs came from bad draws, in stalls 12 and 15, where he would have expended a great deal of energy getting into his favoured position, energy that he could have saved had he been drawn lower, in reserve for the steep climb in the final few furlongs. 5 of his 9 career wins have come at the West Yorkshire track, two over CD, and he is still on a competitive mark of 71. He's ran off 71 on his last two runs at Catterick, where he finished a 0.81 l 3rd, and at Chester when he again finished 3rd, this time beaten by a length by the 80-rated Bo McGinty and the improving Supermassive Muse who picked up that race off a mark of 79. He has his ground so if he can hang on to his lead he should have a chance here at 13/2.
:notworthy:notworthy Another nice winner Fin:clap

4.00 I've backed Hotham a couple of times this year and he carries top weight for this. As a CD winner drawn in stall 2, who acts on any ground, he ticks many boxes, but carrying a 6 lb penalty he is now 9 lbs above his latest winning mark. A drop in class may help here but I'm looking elsewhere. Comptonspirit is a CD winner too but stall 9 may not be ideal so I'm on Mr Wolf here who runs from stall 5. David Barker's gelding will race prominently so his draw is ideal and he has a fair CD record - 25327 this year. What those numbers do not indicate is how narrow some of those defeats were by - a short head second to Namir and half a length second to Comptonspirit (who had a favourable draw that day). What must also be taken into consideration is that two of those CD runs came from bad draws, in stalls 12 and 15, where he would have expended a great deal of energy getting into his favoured position, energy that he could have saved had he been drawn lower, in reserve for the steep climb in the final few furlongs. 5 of his 9 career wins have come at the West Yorkshire track, two over CD, and he is still on a competitive mark of 71. He's ran off 71 on his last two runs at Catterick, where he finished a 0.81 l 3rd, and at Chester when he again finished 3rd, this time beaten by a length by the 80-rated Bo McGinty and the improving Supermassive Muse who picked up that race off a mark of 79. He has his ground so if he can hang on to his lead he should have a chance here at 13/2.
Didn't see this earlier, Nice one Fin. :ok and Striker. :ok

good shout fintron:ok bit disappointed with the run of joyeaux, the more i looked at her, the more i liked her. the sporting life websites official rating was 4lbs wrong. i have noticed this a few times just lately especially when an animal is due to go up or down in the next week or so. was the same with raptor in the ayr gold cup(3lbs wrong) so be advised....the racing posts official rating is normally spot on well done the other guys as well today:clap:clap:clap

Re: Pontefract 25/9 Cheers guys and good laying Striker :clap Tish, I noticed another Sport Life error yesterday too. I clicked on a Stoute horse at one point and in the horse profile is said "Sex: none". It was only a 2 yo so I'm sure it probably hasn't had any yet, but I would have liked to know whether it was a filly/colt! The other day Caldeonia Princess' penalty was not added onto the racecard after her win in the nursery at Leicester. I never checked if SL finally added it on but I'm guessing she was due to carry a penalty as the handicap was a nursery and not an apprentices race? Errors seem to be highlighted with the Sporting Life database all the time but I just can't seem to adapt to using the RP site, I've used Sport Life ever since I got into racing and to me it is much more navigatable. I will continue using at my peril!