** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

A Self Analysis

Guest Punter66

Guest Punter66

Thought i would use this Forum to keep a track of my bets this season (if this is ok)? It will be my second season of internet gambling, though i have been wasting my money for many years now on just about anything there is to gamble on. Last season i stayed out of the dreaded bookie shops during football season and my gambling improved, not much but enough to realize that i have to give it a go again. I think that if i stick to rules then i may have a small chance of being able to fund my two loves (outside of the family of course) football and gambling. I have no real system, just rules; Singles only, (or nothing more than a max' 3 way result). Matches only from English, Scotish, Italian and Spanish Competitions and all the major Euro comps, No Friendlies. No Ante-Post (except insurance bets on the Mancs) And no backing my beloved Liverpool. Maximum stake will be no bigger than half my bank and smallest stake will not be less than ten. Stakes will be based on strength of confidence, time of season and how the bank is doing. I have a bank start of 300 Its going to be cautious gambling up till xmas, (if i survive till then), :\ but if i'm still in the game around this period then expect larger stakes. :b Feel free to add any thoughts or just to take the piss at any time in the duration of the thread. I'm doing this to see if i can justify my gambling habbit, if i fail i will allow myself a fiver a week on last resort gambling (Irish lottery):lol , from then on I will post my first bets before saturday. :)

Guest crowie1969

Re: A Self Analysis If its not really a system and your just wanting to keep track of your bets then would it not be simplier just to use a spreadsheet? Just a thought. Anyway, the only other thing I can suggest is to stick to what you know. Its taken me a long time to come to the conclusion that I do not know enough about or can devote enough time to making money betting on horses. I realised I was wasting my money on them. And on most other sports where I would have a bet for "interests" sake - thats one of the worst things you can do. If your into footy then your basically reading up on the "form" everytime you read a match report or a news item on an injury, or any newspaper to be fair. Stick with football, don't have interest bets just cos a games on the telly. And your % of bank is a bit high (maximum 50%) - one bad result and you have halfed your bank - not a good tactic.

Guest Da Hannanah

Re: A Self Analysis

don't have interest bets just cos a games on the telly
Thats a bit harsh, Crowie. It may not be good business, but its damn good fun ;) And besides - chances will always be better than in the lottery... As long as stakes are kept low, I see no reason not to go for interest games as well - be it first goalscorers or whatever. Like Crowie says, however, it is important to know your own limitations when going deep pockets (and 50% is too high). Lord knows, I am still trying to get to grips with mine... :lol Rather than what you or your frinds think, looking at the bottom line over a period of time is what will tell you whether you are in the know or not. Somewhat opposite to our Celtic friend, however, I do not think it necesary to stick to one sport only. You can, in effect, control your knowledge level over the season much like players control their form. With regard to tennis, for instance, I let it slide for most of the season, picking up my research about 2 weeks before each slam, and in golf, I simply have a few players which I always pick for certain tournaments. Anyways - thats my 2 cents of wisdom for ya... :)

Guest Irish TW

Re: A Self Analysis If you look in Worldwide leagues, Footie Addict has started a thread on the same lines as this, so maybe you want to post your bets there?

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis Thanks chaps, I'm probably gonna need a few helpful points made during the running of the thread.

If its not really a system and your just wanting to keep track of your bets then would it not be simplier just to use a spreadsheet? Just a thought.
To right Crowie, trouble is i'm a bit of a thick cnut when it comes to programmes, however i have just brought a new comp and it has Microsoft works spreadsheet on there, i will be logging details on there until i can learn about formula's??? I even tried getting into one of the PL spreadsheets off yahoo but i couldn't even manage that simple task :lol :lol
Its taken me a long time to come to the conclusion that I do not know enough about or can devote enough time to making money betting on horses. I realised I was wasting my money on them
Again to right, you wont see any of my bets on them while there's a football season about.
your % of bank is a bit high (maximum 50%) - one bad result and you have halfed your bank - not a good tactic.
Like Crowie says, however, it is important to know your own limitations when going deep pockets (and 50% is too high).
Bollocks :lol (no offence) this will stand. I may need to do it, If my bank goes down to 150 then i'm chasing money and i may adopt the @#%$ or bust attitude, if my bank more than doubles and i feel confident with a single selection then i may adopt a nothing to lose attitude.
As long as stakes are kept low, I see no reason not to go for interest games as well - be it first goalscorers or whatever.
Though tempting, i will not go there as it breaks the no more than the max 3 way result rule.
I do not think it necesary to stick to one sport only.
I dont know about this Da Hannanah, i only know football stuff and i haven't the time to study or have the experience of anything else, i would back on a tennis match though if you posted on this thread a tip that you felt very confident about, (must add to the list of rules that i will not be backing anything shorter than 8/15). Irish, thanks, i posted in here because i consider the rules to be a strategy??? But i'm happy to have the thread moved if ness'. Thanks for the comments chaps, i always take on boared what other fellow gamblers have to say. We'll see how it goes. :)

Guest Da Hannanah

I dont know about this Da Hannanah, i only know football stuff and i haven't the time to study or have the experience of anything else
In that case... ;) Anyway - good to see some positive self reflection.

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis Well i've picked a couple of dodgy looking verdicts for bets 1 + 2, but its the opening day of the season and anything can happen. Bet 1 Eng' Div 1 Wimbledon v Crewe. 10 win on Crewe @ 5/2 Bet365 Having a go on Crewe because their pre-season form has been excellent and i dont fancy Wimbledon to do well this term because of the amount of decent players they've sold in the summer, including top scorers Connolly to West Ham and Shipperly to C.Palace Bet 2 Eng' Div 2 Wycombe v Stockport 10 win on Stockport @ 2/1 Bet365 Wycombe finished poorly last season i expect them to struggle again this season. Stockport finished the season well, pulling away from a relegation battle and i have a sneaky feeling they could be promotion contenders. So two outsiders to start off, only one result needed to show a profit. Little confidence, but the prices look worthy of a minimum bet. :)

Guest Punter66

Outcome Bet 1 Eng' Div 1 Wimbledon v Crewe. 10 win on Crewe @ 5/2 Bet365 :( Bet 2 Eng' Div 2 Wycombe v Stockport 10 win on Stockport @ 2/1 Bet365 :( Not a good start but not to much lost, already feeling more confident about a premiership bet next week. :) Start bank 300 present bank 280

Guest Punter66

Re: Outcome Hello Irish TW, I change the photo, not always after one post though. Just thought i would bring up players and managers from past and present, who i consider worthy of an appearance. A bit like my own kind of Panini sticker album if you like, :) which i guess is kind of sad considering my age :lol

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis I know an early Monday morning is not a good policy to make a selection for the following Saturday but i have wanted to back Newcastle away at Leeds for about a week now. Last week Newcastle were priced 7-4 at Premierbet while William Hill were as short as 6-5. There has since been support and best price is 6-4, odds shortened before and after the 2-0 friendly loss by Leeds to Shelbourne ( surely this is a very bad result for Leeds even though it was an unimportant game, or am i underestimating Shelbourne a bit)?? I just think Leeds are in trouble and will struggle all season but i've kept the stake small incase they play an eleven man defence and go for a draw. Bet 3 Eng'Prem Leeds V Newcastle 20 win on Newcastle @ 6-4 Premierbet

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis Bet4 Conference Hereford v Morcambe 10 win on Hereford @ 11/8 Skybet Have been to watch Herefords opening 2 games, admitedly they played a couple of poor sides but i have seen them score 8 goals and have a couple disallowed. There's a good atmosphere amoungst the fans and so far they have impressed me. Morcambe on Saturday will be the real test for Hereford but i think they can do it and the 11/8 for the home win surprised me, i was expecting Evens at best. :)

Guest Punter66

Re Bet 4 Re Bet 4, Skybet are still going 11/8 :eek while William Hill and Blue Sq both are currently 10/11 :eek , most other firms are going around Evs. Cant believe the difference in the price on this one.

Guest Punter66

Re: Outcome Bet 3 Eng'Prem Leeds V Newcastle 20 win on Newcastle @ 6-4 Premierbet :( Bet4 Conference Hereford v Morecambe 10 win on Hereford @ 11/8 Skybet :D Total bets 4 Winners 1 Start Bank 300 Present Bank 273.75 1/1 home wins 0/3 away wins Struggling but not to disasterous. A good home pick and price with Hereford but another bad away pick with Newcastle. This time next year Rodney:rollin

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis Bet 5 E.Prem Bolton v Blackburn 10 win on Blackburn @ 13/8 Premierbet Bet 6 Div 1 Wimbledon v C.Palace 10 win on C.Palace @ 13/8 Premierbet Bet7 Div 1 Derby v Reading 10 win on Reading @ 13/10 Bet365

Guest cjamars

Why take the early early price? I know there is some sense in taking early prices if you think that there is good value but at the same time by taking a price for a game on Tuesday aren’t you leaving yourself wide open to problems cause by injuries and so on? Taking an extreme example would you be so keen on Blackburn if both Cole and Yorke were out next weekend. Could be talking b####x of course but I generally wait as long as possible before getting on unless the price is such a standout that I couldn’t let it go by.

Guest Punter66

Could be talking b####x of course but I generally wait as long as possible before getting on unless the price is such a standout that I couldn’t let it go by.
Not talking B******s at all CJ. I totally agree with what you say but at these minimum stakes i am just looking for what looks like a little bit of value without to much concern for the team news, though i have had a bit of a read up and there was nothing to put me off these bets, injuries could also happen to Bolton players between now and then. To be honest i probably should be leaving the betting alone until further into the season, but its been a long summer without the footie to gamble on and i'm a little bored so they are just minmum bets to see how i fair early season. :)

Guest cjamars

Re: A Self Analysis Know the boredom feeling well m8:lol I have a new footie system ready to go but have to have a minimum number of games played before I can go. I need another 4 games and am chomping at the bit for them to start! Discipline never my strong suit

Guest Punter66

Outcome Bet 5 E.Prem Bolton v Blackburn 10 win on Blackburn @ 13/8 Premierbet :( Thats 2/2 losers in the E.Prem for me so far, this was my worst league for strike rates last year (less than 30% correct). Maybe i should stick to the lower leagues. Bet 6 Div 1 Wimbledon v C.Palace 10 win on C.Palace @ 13/8 Premierbet :D Enjoyed this result most, i thought the 13/8 was way to big for a team who had won 2/2 and were the team more at home than Wimbledon. I got on on Tuesday and watched the price come down, they actually started 10/11 with Ladbrokes at kick off. Bet7 Div 1 Derby v Reading 10 win on Reading @ 13/10 Bet365 :D Made me sweat for the last nine minutes but managed to hold on. 2/3 results today, staking 30.00 returning 49.25, Overall: 7 bets 3 winners Start bank 300 Present bank 293

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis Bet 8 Div 3 25/08/03 Oxford v Swansea 10 win on Swansea @ 11/4 Bet365 Bet 9 Div 3 25/08/03 Oxford v Swansea 10 win the Draw @ 12/5 Bet365 Surely Bet365 have got this wrong?? Ok so Oxford have started well enough with 7 out of a possible 9 points and a good away win in the Carling cup at Millwall but 11/4 for a Swansea win? The team are sat nicely at the top of the league with 9 points out of 9 have a goal difference of +6 and they are definately not the same team that just avoided relegation last season thats for sure. I've not even bothered to wait and see what other bookies are going to offer on this one, i cant see any of them going 3/1 I've taken the draw too so only an Oxford victory can give me a loss

Guest Dranny

Re: A Self Analysis Skybet are early to show 3/1.... I'd go home win myself. Oxford a promotion favourite, good at home, and defensively sound. Good luck though! :D

Guest Punter66

Re: A Self Analysis :o Skybet do go 3/1, you plonker Rodney:lol Still confident the Swans will come away with something though. Who's the man in your pic Dranny?

Guest Dranny

Re: A Self Analysis Its Peter Manley.... A dart player. Looks kinda squashed up ther but rest assured he is "ample" when in full view :D He won me a fair wedge a couple months ago so sits as my avatar in honour :D

Guest Punter66

He won me a fair wedge a couple months ago so sits as my avatar in honour
:lol A top man then! Looks like i got it wrong with the Swansea price, TBX go 10/3 :o and i have just found out Matinez is out, he's a key player so now i'm thinking a draw at best :( One more bet for Tomorrow though that looks possible value (nothing negative with team news) is Stevenage at Margate. Blue Sq. are offering 7/4 while V.C are as short as 11/10. Bet 10 Conf' 25/08/03 Margate v Stevenage 10 win on Stevenage @ 7/4 Blue Sq. :)

Guest Punter66

Re: Outcome Bet 8 Div 3 25/08/03 Oxford v Swansea 10 win on Swansea @ 11/4 Bet365 :( Bet 9 Div 3 25/08/03 Oxford v Swansea 10 win the Draw @ 12/5 Bet365 :( 6 mins' from time Oxford 0 Swansea 0, FT Oxford 3 Swansea 0 :eek Bet 10 Conf' 25/08/03 Margate v Stevenage 10 win on Stevenage @ 7/4 Blue Sq. :D

Stevenage just scraped through then....
Yeah had to smile when this one came over the loud speaker at Hereford during Half time yesterday, winning 0-4 :eek . You were right about Oxford Dranny. 25/08/03 3 bets, 1 winner Staked 30.00 Returned 27.50

Guest Punter66

30/08/03 Bet 11 30/08/03 Conf' Scarborouogh v Telford 20 win on Telford @ 13/8 Bet365 May have found a bit of value here though i have yet to see any team news. Telford have now got their season going with 2 straight wins and Scarborough havent won since beating a poor Farnborough side on the opening day of the season. Just hope Mills and Clarke are fit, if they are the 13/8 looks very big. :)

Guest Punter66

Re: 30/08/03 Away for a couple of days so placing my last bets for the month now. Bet 12 30/08/03 Div 1 Sheffield Utd v Coventry 10 win on Sheffield Utd @ 8/11 Totalbet Bet 13 30/08/03 Div 3 Hull v Boston 10 win on Hull @ 8/15 Totalbet Bet 14 30/08/03 Div 2 Luton v Hartlepool 10 win on Hartlepool @ 11/4 Skybet Bet 15 30/08/03 Div 1 Wimbledon v Reading 10 win on Reading @ 5/4 Skybet Will update bank on Sat/Sun