Questions to ask ourselves

Don't know if this is the right place but... I have been getting increasingly concerned about someone I meet at the races. His gambling seems to be out of control, betting beyond his means. And no it is not me! Have been in contact with Gamcare to ask how I can say "I think you might have a problem" / help him. They are nice people and are not anti-gambling at all. They are just there to help. I found some good questions that I think we all should ask ourselves from time to time. Self Assessment Have you bet more than you can afford to lose? Have you needed to gamble with larger amounts of money to get the same feeling of excitement? When you gambled, did you back another day to try to win back the money you lost? Have you borrowed money or sold anything to get money to gamble? Have you felt you might have a problem with gambling? Has gambling caused you any health problems including stress and anxiety? Have people criticised your betting or told you that you have a gambling problem, regardless of whether it is true or not? Has gambling caused any financial problems for you or your household? Have you felt guilty about the way you gamble or what happens when you gamble? It occured to me that a betting website should have a link to Gamcare for those who might have a problem. We don't want it rammed down our throats, but if there is any of us with a problem I would like to think all members would want them to ask for help. What do other members think? If you need any help call Gamcare 0845 6000133 www.gamcare.com

Re: Questions to ask ourselves Ginge-You raise a very serious and valid point. We should be there for those that fall into the trap, believing that they can gamble their way to success and constantly coming up short. With regards to the person at the races, if I was you I would approach them and ask if they are all right. You may get a rude reply but alternatively you may get someone who desperately needs help and who may breakdown in front of you. At worst in your own mind you will have done the right thing and whether or not you succeed in helping them your conscience will be clear! Always remember with anything addictive the person needs to realise that they have a problem first before they can deal with their problem. I have a close family member who although clever just cannot get way from their habit and they are the typical Betting Shop punter, we have all seen them, when they win they are top of the world but when they lose it is everybody else's fault except their own! Sport is to be enjoyed and having a few quid on it only enhances the experience, my life would be truly over if I couldn't watch sport, have a bet and a drink so my heart really goes out to the poor soul who you see at the races. Best of luck and I hope what ever course you take It works out for the best! :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.