Best Bet of the Day - Tues 19/8/08

3.45 Brighton Eight runners face the starter for this class 5 handicap and Gracechurch looks a strong contender off the back of a course and distance win last time out. R J Hodges' gelding is up 3 lbs for a one length win here 13 days ago in which he had horses rated 65 and 59 close behind. Unlike a few of his rivals tomorrow, he is at least proven to see out the trip and he has acted on good/soft ground in the past. Bearing in mind he is rated 60 for this, he should have strong claims running in the same grade once again. 5/2 on Betfair at the moment. 1 pt win.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Tues 19/8/08 Centennial 2.50 York– Progressed the right way from maiden, class 2, group 3, group 2 and group 1. Has not impressed on last 2 starts over 12f but both races were Group 1 class on different ground. Was 2nd in a Group 3 on soft ground and although this trip looked like it might be too far the trainer states: Quote:

“We were not disappointed in the slightest. I said before that a mile and a quarter at Sandown on good to soft was a stiff test, this was a fast race today on quick ground and those horses have quickened past him. He has run a very nice race, he needs further and we will pick him up in trip to a mile and a half and very much have the Leger in mind for him later in the year. He is in the Irish Derby and we would like to have a run there - I hope there is a bit of rain about”
I think the longer trip may bring improvement and it seems it lacks pace and a turn of foot but has stamina and is being aimed at the Leger. Trainer won this race last year with Lucarno and that went on to win the Leger. Only real concern is the need for blinkers, could suggest the horse is not totally genuine. I fancy it ew but for purpose of BBOTD will go WIN.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.