How am I perceived at the table?

GaF

Seriously I'm interested - yep I'm curious about what I'm perceived to do well, but most of all I want to know what others view my weaknesses as - I'm sure some of you know my game pretty well - but what do you think I could do better? Where should I focus most on improving? I have my own ideas of where my weaknesses are and what I should focus on improving, but I'm not necessarily right - so I think others views would be good :ok

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How am I perceived at the table? I haven't played vs you Gaf too much, not as much as i'd like as you're a great player, and by that i mean you're one of the only players who does things totally opposite to what i expect. I'd put you in the patient, maybe too tight at times can be taken advantage of with good aggression but i know a couple of times i've applied aggro. vs you and either you did actually have the goods those times or you as i expect do the opposite to what others perceive you as doing and take advantage of that. (don't think that makes any sense at all) In keeping with the thread though: PassiveAggressionFull.jpg (Multi faced/ Dynamic) ------ Anyway what does it matter if you're quitting poker from 1st July ;)

Re: How am I perceived at the table? I haven't played a lot against you recently, so I'll comment about the HU you played the other night.... You were SHITE! :\ You were about 50/50 in chips, but you just let the other player limp preflop and raise post flop, every single time. I mean, at some point you have to put a stop to it and 'smack his fingers' but you didn't... However, on the point of your MTT play, I haven't watched you enough recently. So its unfair of me to comment. :ok

Re: How am I perceived at the table?

I'd put you in the patient, maybe too tight at times can be taken advantage of with good aggression but i know a couple of times i've applied aggro. vs you and either you did actually have the goods those times or you as i expect do the opposite to what others perceive you as doing and take advantage of that. (don't think that makes any sense at all)
I was going to say that you represent strength when you have shite and represent shite when you have the goods very well. :ok But that was what I thought of you before my break, so I thought it a bit unfair to comment, but I think I'm agreeing with Nade so I'll say it. :ok

Re: How am I perceived at the table? I think you are good, solid and predictable :ok You rely too much on fold equity and maths that don't work. You need a goooood 6 month not playing low stakes for you to realise just how good you are (preferable playing 2/4 SH cash) The fact you started this thread shows you may be little insecure and not confident about your game, you need to brag more and get a big ego like me. I also believe you could benefit from a few good live tourneys :ok

You rely too much on fold equity and maths that don't work.
Maths works. If it doesn't work, then you're doing the wrong maths! :D
you need to brag more and get a big ego like me.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :loon

Re: How am I perceived at the table? WASP's right, you need a bigger ego GAF, change your name to HE MAN or something He-Man.JPG To succeed in cash it helps to act like the Don at the table, as if you are the best and are going to crush the other noobs !! (That's what i try anyway, then when i get a bit too clever and lose a big-ish pot i find it's best tto tell your opponents how bad they are :ok :lol)

I think you are good' date=' solid and predictable :ok[/quote'] My perception of me is that I'm a lot more capable than most, in the right circumstances, of getting my money in with any 2 cards. Maybe that is predicatable, becaus ethe situation is pretty easy to see - and almost always takes the form of an all in Fold equity is the cornerstone of my game - in line with the first comment above - I believe I'm totally fearless if there is a sound case for positive ev in a hand. The old discussion of AA in first hand of WSOP - I'd get all my chips in in the blink of an eye, with no hesitation, regret or worry - that's where I view I have my most significant edge over my opponents (an attitude which applies equally to a $5 STT as a $10,000 WSOP MTT) I have no self confidence or belief in my game - you are right (and I have a lot less than most people will realise). That can be a serious strength too though. I seriously believe that those players amongst us (and I'm talking of noone in particular) who think that they know it all and have nothing left to learn are the ones who wont improve and will get left behind.... Am trying to dig out the HH from the HU that MR V referred to - cannot remember it at all :$ When I've got it, I'll post it in it's entirity (good or bad) in a seperate thread :ok

Re: How am I perceived at the table? Rightly or wrongly these are my own crude notes on you, expanded: Early - The odd limp with connectors and small pairs but mostly premium hands only, and you bet hard when you have a hand. Mid - Quiet. Again bet hard with premium hands combined with good position play when blinds are worth stealing. Query, over-use of continuation bet. Late - Uber aggressive, from 3rd gear straight to 6th. Best part of your game, making the most of people like me who are trying to limp past the bubble.

Rightly or wrongly these are my own crude notes on you, expanded: Early - The odd limp with connectors and small pairs but mostly premium hands only, and you bet hard when you have a hand. Mid - Quiet. Again bet hard with premium hands combined with good position play when blinds are worth stealing. Query, over-use of continuation bet. Late - Uber aggressive, from 3rd gear straight to 6th. Best part of your game, making the most of people like me who are trying to limp past the bubble.
I think they're pretty good notes ;)

Re: How am I perceived at the table? Interesting that this is in poker strategy rather than poker chat. However I have you classed as dangerous. You are rather passive and therefore can be the subject of blind stealling, but once you get involved in a pot you're aggressive and not afraid to put a lot of chips into the middle. Now I need to find a picture that says "dangerous"

Re: How am I perceived at the table? I put you down as a good solid player as was mentioned very tight in the early stages of a mtt which I think you use to your advantage now, with your table image allowing you to steal and get away with it more than most players. Your strongest part of your game is when you have a large stack and you have the confidence to walk over the table. Very surprised to here you say you have no confidence or belief in your game, never comes across that way at the tables, always put you down as a supremely confident player:ok

Interesting that this is in poker strategy rather than poker chat.
The purpose of the thread is to help me work out where to focus my development and improvement - that's why I put it in strategy, but I think you're right - moving it to chat :ok

The purpose of the thread is to help me work out where to focus my development and improvement - that's why I put it in strategy' date=' but I think you're right - moving it to chat :ok[/quote'] It wasn't a criticism, just interesting. I think it will help your strategy a lot to know how people perceive you.