Top players proving themselves again at WSOP

Nade

With Negreanu winning a bracelet in the $2k Limit Hold'Em event it means already 4 top players have won bracelets at this years WSOP. The others being Matusow, Lindgren and David Singer. I've been quite critical of Negreanu and Matusow as they've got a lot from poker in terms of endorsements the last few yrs without major success but now they rank amongst the elite again and all credit to them i think they're reputable players again :clap Lindgren has got his first bracelet too in the $5k mixed Hold'Em event which marks him out now as one of the best players around now he's proven it in the WSOP. I wonder why top players are starting to have consistent success again. Maybe they've been worried about the slowing poker economy in the US with the gambling bill and poker shows on TV getting bad ratings so they're putting more effort in to succeed at the game to make money again. Whereas the last few years they've been able to rely heavily on endorsements for income (and still do) but maybe they know it's not a guaranteed economy anymore so are working harder to get better or maybe they've adjusted to the modern game with internet kids changing it up. It's open to debate.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Is it that much different from recent years? There've been 20 events decided so far. In the first 20 events in 2007, Allen Cunningham and Phil Hellmuth won bracelets. In the first 20 events in 2006, David Williams, Sam Farha, Allen Cunningham (though maybe at the time he wouldn't have ranked in a lot of people's "top players" list) and Chip Reese won bracelets. OK, Chip Reese's was in the $50k HORSE, which was a relatively small field packed with name pros. But so was the $5k+rebuys 7-2 Lowball event where Matusow won his bracelet this year.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP

Clearly, yes. 50% mark up in success rate for top players ....
If you were doing a proper degree like maths, you'd understand things like Poisson distributions. :tongue2 One thing that's changed this year is the increase in higher buy-in events, which is likely to lead to smaller fields in those events, and hence more pros winning. I'm not sure that's been too much of a factor yet, though, although two of the "top player bracelets" you mentioned were in $5k+ events.

If you were doing a proper degree like maths' date=' you'd understand things like Poisson distributions. :tongue2[/quote'] I think that's the most condescending thing I've ever posted on PL! :lol Sorry. :$

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Yes yours was condescending but mine was pure laziness :lol I really don't care for maths, sorry slap ;) Point of my OP was just to praise the Pros anyway.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Add Greenstein and Kenny Tran to that list ;) And have you seen the final table for PLO event :eek Seat 1: John Juanda 740,000 Seat 2: Phil Hellmuth 150,000 Seat 3: David Benyamine 1,020,000 Seat 4: Kirill Gerasimov 620,000 Seat 5: Phil Galfond 660,000 Seat 6: Daniel Negreanu 1,080,000 Seat 7: Brian Rast 910,000 Seat 8: Adam Hourani 390,000 Seat 9: Chris Ferguson 300,000 Seat 10: Johnny Chan 530,000 Poker is all luck American politicians you're right !

Add Greenstein and Kenny Tran to that list ;) And have you seen the final table for PLO event :eek Seat 1: John Juanda 740,000 Seat 2: Phil Hellmuth 150,000 Seat 3: David Benyamine 1,020,000 Seat 4: Kirill Gerasimov 620,000 Seat 5: Phil Galfond 660,000 Seat 6: Daniel Negreanu 1,080,000 Seat 7: Brian Rast 910,000 Seat 8: Adam Hourani 390,000 Seat 9: Chris Ferguson 300,000 Seat 10: Johnny Chan 530,000 Poker is all luck American politicians you're right !
If I had $85,000 spare, I might be able to do that too.... Negreanu has to finish 8th or higher to make a profit in this event......

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP I can't wait to see what the odds are for that final table for Event 28. I think only Sportingbet and Stan James are bothered about having a go. EDIT: Didn't check in the past hour and they've already done the seating assignments: Seat 1: John Juanda 694,000 Seat 2: Phil Hellmuth 119,000 Seat 3: David Benyamine 1,041,000 Seat 4: Kirill Gerasimov 558,000 Seat 5: Phil Galfond 1,393,000 Seat 6: Daniel Negreanu 460,000 Seat 7: Brian Rast 1,176,000 Seat 8: Adam Hourani 300,000 Seat 9: Johnny Chan 624,000 Yeah, Chris Ferguson is the unfortunate 'TV bubble' boy. EDIT 2: Sportingbet first off the blocks! wsop08-event28-ft-sportingbet.jpg

Hellmuth at 25/1??? I know he needs a good few double ups but those odds are huge.
Actually, I was thinking exactly the opposite. I wouldn't take 50/1. This isn't an anti-Hellmuth comment, but he has less than 1 in 60 of the chips in play and he's against some extremely good Omaha players.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Here he goes ... Quick Double-Up for Hellmuth The table folded around to the blinds, and Hellmuth completed. Benyamine checked his option. The flop came 6h.gif4d.gifks.gif. Hellmuth checked, Benyamine bet 25,000, and Hellmuth called. The turn was the qd.gif and Hellmuth quickly moved all in. Benyamine called. Hellmuth showed K-Q-9-7 for top two, and Benyamine K-6-6-4 for a lesser two pair. The river was the qc.gif, giving Hellmuth the boat. Hellmuth doubles up about 240,000.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Phil Hellmuth Eliminated in 8th Place ($100,292) Phil Hellmuth raised to 80,000 David Benyamine reraised, Hellmuth moved all in and Benyamine called. Hellmuth: as.gifkc.gif10c.gif4c.gif Benyamine: ah.gifac.gifkd.gif4h.gif The flop was 8d.gif6c.gif2s.gif, no help for Hellmuth. The turn was the 10d.gif, the river was the 2c.gif and Hellmuth's quest for a 12th bracelet ended at least for today as he made his exit in eighth place.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Daniel Negreanu Eliminated in 7th Place ($123,437) Phil Galfond opened for a 60,000 raise, Daniel Negreanu reraised all in and Galfond called. Negreanu: kh.gifkd.gifjd.gif5c.gif Galfond: ah.gifac.gif2h.gif2d.gif The flop was 9h.gif7h.gif5h.gif, Galfond flopping the nut flush. The turn was the ks.gif, eliciting an "Ooooh" from the crowd as Negreanu made a set and picked up outs to a full house. The river, though was the 2c.gif and Daniel Negreanu became our seventh-place finisher. After $85,000 worth of rebuys, he'll leave this tournament in the black with a $123,437 payday

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP John Juanda Eliminated in 6th Place ($154,296) Johnny Chan limped in from the small blind and John Juanda checked his option. The flop was9s.gif8s.gif2c.gif . Chan bet 48,000, Juanda raised pot to 196,000 Chan moved all in and Juanda called. Juanda kd.gif10s.gif9c.gif7s.gif Chan 10h.gif9h.gif8d.gif2s.gif Chan was ahead with two pair, but Juanda had an open-ended straight flush draw. The turn was the 7c.gif , the river was the 2d.gif and John Juanda left us in 6th place, earning $154,296.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Kirill Gerasimov Eliminated in 5th Place ($192,870) The action was folded to Kirill Gerasimov in the small blind. He moved all in and Phil Galfond called. Gerasimov: ah.gif10d.gif8s.gif7c.gif Galfond: ac.gifjc.gif8c.gif5c.gif The flop was js.gif9s.gif6s.gif, the turn was the 6h.gif, the river was the 6d.gif and Galfond won the pot with trip sixes with A-J. Gerasimov was eliminated in fifth place and will take home $192,870.

Re: Top players proving themselves again at WSOP Galfond beat Harouni for the bracelet after well over a hundred hands of heads-up. Benyamine 3rd and Chan 4th. Not a bad result for me in the Full Tilt fantasy league: I had Galfond and Benyamine in my "A" team and Ferguson in my "B" team for this event. :cow

Lindgren has got his first bracelet too in the $5k mixed Hold'Em event which marks him out now as one of the best players around now he's proven it in the WSOP.
I was lucky enough to win a seat for the Aussie Millions in 2007 and had the absolute pleasure of being on a table with Eric Lindgren on day 1 for about 5 or 6 hours. When he got moved to our table I was the chip leader on it, with about $45,000 (starting chips $20k). When Eric sat down he had a quick look round the table, at the stacks not the people and only looked up at anyone when he got to my stack. (I was dead opposite him in seat 1, he was in seat 4.) He smiled at me and said "high..how you doing? I just smiled back at him as I knew what he was up to. I did chat to him though as time went by, and he seemed a genuinely nice guy with a great sense of humour and some great one liners. He said a couple of funny things about Matusow and Phil Ivey too. We stayed out of each others way and in all the time we played he raised my blind only once, and when I passed he showed me A,K and that was the only time he showed his hand voluntarily all day. I raised his BB only once. I had 6,7 suited and couldn't resist it. I was glad he passed though. I really didn't fancy my chances of outplaying him after the flop. He is an amazing player. When he sat down he had about $27,000, and he never won a pot with more than $4 or $5,000 in it all day. But somehow at the end of the day he had passed me and had $70,800 to my $67,000. To this day I still don't know exactly how he did it. It was a joy to watch though, and his reading ability of peoples hands was simply jaw dropping. On one occasion he passed on the river and said to the guy I think you have A,J. The guy was so shocked that he'd named his exact 2 cards that he turned them over for all to see. He always looked to keep the pots small, and only raised sensible amounts, but just enough to put a little pressure on his opponents and keep them guessing. He won countless pots without showing down a hand. Now I know he was more talkative to me than anyone else as he wanted me onside, but after the day had finished and knowing that we'd be on different tables the next day. He still took the trouble to come over to me after the chips had been counted and bagged up, and said "good luck for tomorrow buddy". He didn't need to do that, but I was as pleased as punch that he did. He got knocked out on day 2 but I managed to stay in and he wished me luck the following morning as I was on my way into the card room. Again he didn't need to do that. He doesn't know me from Adam and in all likelihood we are never going to sitting on the same table ever again. (not unless he fancies playing in a £50 freeze out in the Midlands anytime soon) I was thrilled to see he's finally won his 1st bracelet, and you can take it from me that not only is he a wonderful player, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.