Playing the Antes ! Pot Odds

Rivrd

Was just wondering what your opions were when you are playing a game when the antes kick in ? I defintely not against antes but what are your thoughts when you have gone deep into a tournament and the antes have reached a large figure plus you have your Blinds going through at even a larger figure. An example was a $20 rb game i played on 32Red where i am in the Small Blind with 5000 with a running ante of 750 and get dealt utter crap like 8 4os everyone has folded except one caller. Now you have 22500 in the pot plus the caller making it 32500, yes you are getting great pot odds to make up the BB with a 5k call,yes you are getting 6-1 for your money but in hind site what are you expecting to hit with such trash cards, so i was folding these hands. Would you play for pot odds ? or fold as i was doing ?

Re: Playing the Antes ! Pot Odds I think it would depend on a few factors, - my stack size relative to the caller and BB, my read on them, my position in the tourny wrt the bubble/cashing/FT etc Another point, don't forget the BB still has to act, so the problem is you can't really say you are getting 6:1. You may make up your blind with the 5k, only for the BB to raise....then all you can do is fold. Just my thoughts...

Re: Playing the Antes ! Pot Odds I agree with Fonzie that there are other factors to take into account. Personally, I think a lot of players get too hung up on 'pot-odds' and in situations like this I would not hesitate to fold, or if you are feeling brave raise it up. Calling just because maths advises you should without thought to other factors doesn't seem like good play to me. However, I am sure others will differ in their view. PS Nice win last night:clap

Re: Playing the Antes ! Pot Odds i tend to tighten up when short stacked and loosen up when deeper stacked. if you are shortish then most pots should be all in or fold, so i would mostly be folding crappy hands like 35 . if i had a big stack then i would be calling and hopeing for a great flop.as you say pot odds are good ,also if you do hit people are unlikely to put you on 35:ok