Best Bet Of The Day - Friday 23/05/08

My two main bets today (Big Noise and Mad Rush) are similar, both are first time out and fitness must be taken on trust. I have no inside knowledge regarding this so there is no real logic in picking which is the better bet. Just edged towards Big Noise as it is a less competitive race. 4.05 Newmarket John Scargil's Big Noise had an impressive season last year - I backed him on all his four handicap starts after his 5l winning debut. Here is a run down of those four handicap runs (earliest first);<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2nd - caught a tartar, running into Royal Rocks who was running off just 77. An impossible task.

1st - yardstick Kings Bastion in 2nd, unlucky 3rd was Bee Eater (running off 76), she won her next three starts and finished the year rated 99.

1st - bolted up off 76, won with plenty in hand.

2nd - Ran off a 7lb higher mark but found one too good in a field of 16. The 3rd was beaten a SH twice after including off a 4lb higher mark, the 5th Don't Panic won his next two and is now rated 22lb higher than he was then. Big Noise travelled so well in the race and I remember sounding off about the ride he got from Ted Durcan.

He has been raised another 5lb since that run but I believe he is better than an 88 horse and looks set for another good season. Fitness as issue obviously, but he'll pay for it NTO if he does need the run here, hopefully!

The stable having an 8l winner this week is a bonus.

Big Noise - win

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.