Richard Hughes

Love him or hate him. He splits racing fans, always has, always will. He is a great horseman and can settle a horse as good as anyone, BUT he isn't great in a finish. He just said "I don't ride for punters, I ride for owners" Although I understand the sentiments. Should a jockey be saying: "I don't ride for punters" Saying such things openly really gives you an insight to his mindset. Remember that when you've had a chunk on one of his E/W and he is 3rd going to the line. ;)

Re: Richard Hughes

Love him or hate him. He splits racing fans, always has, always will. He is a great horseman and can settle a horse as good as anyone, BUT he isn't great in a finish. He just said "I don't ride for punters, I ride for owners" Although I understand the sentiments. Should a jockey be saying: "I don't ride for punters" Saying such things openly really gives you an insight to his mindset. Remember that when you've had a chunk on one of his E/W and he is 3rd going to the line. ;)
Hughes is definately not a favourite of mine but have mellowed my opinion of him recently. Although you say he is not good in a finish, it is true he does not find as much as most off the bridle. But it could just be horses find more on the bridle for him than other jockeys. Do horses show worse form when he is aboard than other riders? That is all that matters, not how much they find off the bridle. Think his ride on Nahoodh was overly criticised. Did not do anything wrong in my opinion. Not the best PR for a jockey to say such things, then again owners might appreciate it. So it might do him good. Ginge

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.