Is Sandown too hard on jumpers?

With Bewleys Berry's injury it reminded me of something. I asked a racing farrier if there was any racecourse which is particularly hard on horses legs / hooves? He told me those racing at Sandown seemed to have a high level of tendon and other leg / hoof injuries, possibly due to the type of soil. When you look at last years Whitbread (Betfred, B365) nothing has done much at all since. On firm ground,

1. Hot Weld
  2. Reveillez
  3. My Will
  4. Jack High
  5. Zabenz

I believe these five have only managed one disappointing run between them. Jack High running poorly in February. The others to run, Cornish Sett, Juviegner, Wee Robbie, Sweet Diversion and cowboyboots, have not done much this season. The winner of the Celebration Mile, Dempsey has also not been seen since. 2006 winner Lacdoudal (good-firm) never showed the same form in 06-07 and not seen this time around. Presumably most, if not all of these horses had injuries either at Sandown or since. Is Sandown particularly hard on racehorses when the ground is on the firm side? Do other racecourses have such a bad record on a firm surface? Ginge

Re: Is Sandown too hard on jumpers? Very interesting Ginge. There has been many Whitbread winners that have struggled after. 1998 Call It A Day - winless after 1999 Eulogy - lost his only other start 2000 Beau - winless after 2001 Ad Hoc - won twice after 2002 Bounce Back - winless after 2003 Ad Hoc - winless after 2004 Puntal - winless after 2005 Jack High - won once 2006 Lacdoudal - winless after 2007 Hot Weld - Not seen 2008 Monkerhostein - winless after :lol Just three post Whitbread wins from bundles of attempts. I think it's a combination of things, the tough test of 3m5f uphill finish, the usual fast ground and the fact that it comes at the end of a hard season. Perhaps it's just too much for most to take.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.