Is the Paul Nicholls domination good for racing?

mowgli77

Every Saturday he sends out a handful of horses and seems to return with at least a treble but the owners are sending the best horses to him and he seems to have a monoploy on all the best races. I think he is a fantastic trainer but what hope is there for the smaller stables that only have a dozen runners or so and what chance do they have of success if all the owners are abandoning them and going to Nicholls? Is this dominance good for racing and also is it good for us punters? As Carl has stated on another thread the fancied Nicholls horses often get backed blindly and go off at false prices. Is this bad for the punter seeking some value or is it actually a positive as Nicholls horses come in and the others all drift out? What does everyone else think of the Nicholls super circus? He has many favourites for Cheltenham and some of the odds suggest the horses only have to turn up to win but it won't be that straightforward come March. It seems more of an achievement for one of the small stables to send out a festival winner.

Re: Is the Paul Nicholls domination good for racing? Good topic phil Personally, i dont have a problem, he places his horses so well that we dont see the monoploy of individual races until the festival comes. Pipe used to do the opposite & send out 4 horses in a handicap hurdle & get the winner! That isnt training nouse, thats just lets go with a handful & see what we get. Nicholls is excellent IMO & always conducts himself well. he listens to his owners & quite often goes with their plans instead of his. I never really liked Pipe to be honest & i think he holds a grudge over a number of people in racing. Ok, nicholls has got about 15 runners today but he has to get a run into them before Cheltenham & this is the time to do it, 4 weeks prior. Keep it up Paul.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.