Offensive Username? Apparently not.

Valiant23

Yesterday I came across a player on Poker Stars with the username "coonskinner1". I was really surprised that stars allowed a name that could be so offensive and so I e-mailed them to ask them if the thought it was appropriate. I must be honest I had faith in their customer support to do something as they are quite pro active.

Thank you for contacting us. I appreciate the time you took to write us regarding your concern. As we cannot monitor every table 24 hours, we are glad to have players as our "eyes and ears". While we do screen each user ID, sometimes a bad one can slip past our screeners. The term coonskinner was used in the south before the word coon actually became derogatory, and therefore we dont consider this username as offensive. Regards,
I'm tempted to to reply to this and ask if its possible to change my name from Valiant23 to SlaveTrader, as that too had historical southern roots before it was considered offensive. :unsure

Re: Offensive Username? Apparently not. I don't find it offensive but that's because I don't know what a "coon" is:unsure:unsure Can't remember off the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen usernames on other sites with proper swear words in them - never took any notice. Would anyone be bothered if they wrote that word in the chat box? The "online rights" thread shows much worse being said. Some people are just weird and like being a keyboard warrior or trying to make other players mad. I try to just ignore it all, because they must be pretty sad to do such things;).

Re: Offensive Username? Apparently not. A few Ive come across are urabollox and ihumpedurmum while there is a niggakilla on the Boss network. Ive never bothered reporting them though as you normally get a standard reply saying it'll be looked into and then another version comes out and its the same again... Surely they should have a system to ban some words or spelings like they have in chat ?? Makes no sense to me when chat bans a word and then a username has the exact same word more visable.. :unsure:unsure

Re: Offensive Username? Apparently not.

I stand to be corrected here but I don't think the word 'coon' has the same connotations in North America as it has here. Over there' date=' I believe it's just shorthand for the raccoon, in which case 'coonskinner' would have a certain logic to it.[/quote'] It certainly has that meaning there. But I'm pretty sure it also has the meaning we know, at least to the extent that it's not really plausible that somebody could choose that user name without being aware that it might seem offensive.

Re: Offensive Username? Apparently not. Google search shows loads of forums and such with a member with that username. also...

The CoonSkinner is a slender knife, perfect for bird and trout and great for small general utility. The knife is 7 3/4" over all and made from 1/8" bar stock. The blade is 3" clip point with 1/4" stainless steel guards. The base model has a black linen Micarta handle. The version shown is with Giraffe bone scales. Base price is $130.00
If the site were based over here it would surely be banned inastantly.