Virgin in Newcastle

weelarry

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Virgin in Newcastle Hope no one has booked into the Swallow Imperial in Jesmond.....it burnt down last night! Hotel evacuated after large-scale fire By Bruce Unwin

A HOTEL was evacuated after a large-scale fire broke out today. The blaze is believed to have begun in the kitchen and spread to the rear and first floor of the Imperial Hotel at Jesmond, Newcastle. It was reported to the fire brigade at 5.53am and within an hour an estimated 64 firefighters, with up to 18 appliances, were involved tackling the blaze. advertisement empty.gif About 100 guests and staff were safely evacuated and moved to other hotels. After initial doubt that everyone was accounted for, the all-clear was given by about 8am, by which time the blaze was well under control. Among those evacuated were a group of 17 Russian students. One of the party, Eugene Vasillis, said he and other guests were swiftly able to evacuate the hotel within minutes of hearing the fire alarm. He said: "I smelled smoke and got out down the stairs without taking my belongings. My passport is still inside so I hope it can be saved. "I did not want to be trapped but there were lots of fire doors." Mr Vasillis said the fire brigade was quickly on the scene. The man in charge of the operation on behalf of Tyne and Wear brigade, group commander Ian Robertson, said: "We have no reported injuries and everyone seems to have made a good clean evacuation. "The hotel's evacuation procedures have worked without any hiccups or issues and we are continuing our operations as we go." Deputy chief fire officer John Hindmarch, who was at the scene between 8 and 9am, said: "We're confident the fire is now under control and that it will soon be extinguished." He praised the crews involved in the operation for, "their professionalism in tackling the fire under difficult weather conditions". Surrounding roads were closed after the blaze was reported, causing major rush hour tailbacks in both directions, back along the A1058 Coast Road and to the Tyne Bridge. Jesmond Road, between Portland Terrace and Sandyford Road, was closed to traffic and diversions put in place via adjoining roads linking to the Cradlewell bypass. Speaking at 9.15am, a Northumbria Police spokeswoman said Jesmond Road either side of the hotel was expected to remain closed until at least lunch-time. The cause of the fire is being investigated although it initially appeared there was nothing suspicious.

Re: Virgin in Newcastle I was looking at all the V points I have and was wondering if Virgin had any plan to allow them to be redeemed for entry to future festivals. At present it seems that you can only use them to cash in or trade for air miles (both good!) but how about allowing them to be used for this live tourneys too? I like the idea of online qualifications and the idea is obviously to ensure most players are Virgin regulars. But sometimes good players will miss out or don't have the time or inclination to play in the qualifiers. But if the have the 10k or so V-points to buy-in then they have certainly paid their dues. What do you all think? Personally I am not sure I will try to qualify for this one (I'm starting a new job and don't think I can make this weekend) much as I'd like to, but good luck to y'all anyway!

• 3 weeks later...