Wolverhampton 03/01/08

6.50 - 5f Handicap I have previously mentioned before the fact that I have a very small stake in a horse named Desert Light. It runs tonight, and I thought I would share the information I have been given from the trainer about its chances.

"Well at least he's got a decent draw." was Derek's initial reaction when asked about the chances of Desert Light tomorrow at Wolverhampton. "It can make such a difference, particularly over this trip." he went on. "If you are stuck out wide you can be using up two or three lengths at the start just to get yourself inrto a challenging position - and often those two or three lengths can be crucial at the other end of the race." "We've booked Dean McKeown to ride him and Dean has won on him before so he should know what is required." "We will try and get him bounced out of the stalls and sat in fifth or sixth. If we can cruise round the inside in that sort of midfield position we can ride him for a finish along the straight and see where that takes us." Derek added: "We certainly don't want him stuck right out the back and left with too much to do but riding these hold up horses is not always a completely straight forward task." "If he gets the position through the early stages of the race and the gaps appear for him then he should not be too far away at all. He is fit and in good form with himself and I'm looking for a decent effort." On the drop in trip Derek commented: "I think the course at Wolverhampton is riding a little slower than usual at the moment. They did some re-waxing on it recently and it just seems to have taken the edge off the track a bit. We know our runner gets 6f and so this might just play into his hands if a couple of the five furlong horses are not getting through it as easily as they might. He's better at six, but at the moment this race over five looks worth a try." Derek added: "It is though quite a competitive looking race for this grade. There are a number who come here in pretty good form with recent wins to their name and so it's not a race that we can stick our necks out on." Derek concluded by saying: "It is a decent race and might be over a slightly sharp trip but I think if he gets the race run to suit him he should have a chance of going quite close." It sounded like Derek was expecting a good, solid effort from Desert Light but was more hopeful than confident about the horse getting his head in front. The race is due off at 6-50 and Wolverhampton will as usual be covered by Attheraces.
So, it seems that Desert Light has a chance of running into a place... These chances have been bolstered by the withdrawal of - By the Edge, Bond Becks and Triskaidekaphobia. The full race has also been previewed by the yard my horse runs from:
This looks quite a competitive race for the grade with six of the field registering wins in one of their last two outings. We like the chances of Stoneacre Boy, Music Box Express and By The Edge - but in a tight race there are a number who will not be far behind and if it's their day could well be good enough to land the spoils. Stoneacre Boy can be excused his last run and back in this grade should not be too far away. The slight question mark is that he has not yet registered a win at this track in eleven attempts and has won at all the other sand courses. He can go close but looks likely to find a couple too good. Music Box Express has some scope to keep improving being so lightly race and should go close here. The literal interpretation of his collatoral form with several runners in here looks convoluted but the fact remains he comes here in good form and should put up a decent show. David Barron runs By The Edge and though he might be drawn slightly wide for a horse that likes to go from a prominent position he might not be too inconvenienced by that in this race and we expect could make a really bold bid. He has a little bit to find with Triskaidekaphobia but we think could well be up to turning tables on that runner in this race. Triskaidekaphobia won a poor race last time out and is better judged on his effort from 03 December. He has not really been given and ideal draw in this event and though he arrives here seeking a hat-trick might just find a couple of these too good. At decent odds we think Almaty Express might be ready to step up on recent efforts. He usually takes a couple of runs to find his feet and has slipped to an attractive mark and takes a drop in grade. From a competitive looking draw we think an improvement is on the cards. In form Derek Shaw runs two - Sands Crooner and Desert Light. Neither look ideally suited by today's conditions with chances compromised by draw and trip respectively. Of the pair Desert Light could get closest but looks likely to be fighting for place money at best. Perlachy comes here in form but this looks a slightly tougher race but we thinks Bond Becks might be capable of putting his last disappoiting effort behind him and he too can go close. It is a competitive race and Music Box Express and By The Edge look the percentage calls. We are going to take a chance with Almaty Express dropping back to this grade.
Reading between the lines here, it looks like it may be worth siding with ALMATY EXPRESS, at odds of around 4/1. I will, of course, be having a small punt on DESERT LIGHT, who has now got a solid chance of making the top 3 after the withdrawals. DESERT LIGHT'S best price is now just 6/1, after money has been seen for it this morning. ALMATY EXPRESS 5pts WIN @ 4/1 DESERT LIGHT 2.5pts E/W @ 13/2

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.