RussP's Handicap Hurdles

RussP

As most of you know, I have had some success with my flat racing handicaps this year, but my jumps bets have been somewhat limited with no real focus. After a lot of review over my methods over the jumps, I have decided to stick with probably the most tricky races to solve, handicap hurdles! All bets will be 5pts EW and expected SP's should be around the double figure mark. So, here goes with 2 bets for Boxing Day: 1.35 Sedgefield 13 runners go to post for this Class 4 race over 2m1f. Bobs Gold and Sculastic battle for favouritism in this but I prefer one that finished behind both the aforementioned 2 weeks ago in: Cheer Us On (9/1 Paddy Power) - Is 11lb better off with Bobs Gold and 5lb better off with Sculastic for lto run 15 days ago. Finished 5th that day, 22L behind the winner Bobs Dream, but is entitled to strip much fitter today with that last race being only its 2nd back from a 6 month absence. Off its lowest ever mark today and has better ground too which is a plus as it seems Cheer Us On needs good ground or better to show its form. Easterby yard is also in great form with 3 winners from its last 7 runners so everything points to a decent run today. Other bookies go only 6's or 7's so take the early 9/1. 2nd bet from Kempton to follow.

Re: RussP's Handicap Hurdles 2nd bet for today is at the King George meeting: 3.45 Kempton With 3 NR's, now just 11 head out for this Class 3 race over 2m5f. The front 3 have solid credentials here and hail from decent yards but the one I expect to upset their applecart is available at a double figure price in: Rio De Janeiro (14/1 Betfred) - Ran only 4 days ago in the big hurdle at Ascot and ran a poor race but excuses for that. Trip too short, ground too firm and out of its depth. No such excuses today for this horse. Is back to Class 3 today from Listed, where it has encountered some success, back on G/S where it is 2 from 2 and is stepped back up past 2m. Has twice ran further than 2m, winning one in Class 2 over 2m3f on this ground, the other when running very well at Cheltenham finishing 5th over todays trip only 4L behind the winner (the front 6 well clear of the rest in a very competitve race so form looks solid). Spoiled its chance with a crucial mistake that day at the business end and the ground turned very very soft just before the off. Optimum conditions today and useful jockey takes 3lb off its back with its valuable claim. Horse is very well thought of and, provided Saturdays race didn't too much out of it, looks a cracking EW shot at 14/1.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.