backtesting systems for greyhounds... How many races to test?

sprath

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not. I'm new to greyhound racing systems, so I've got what might be an elementary question. How many races do you look at when you are backtesting systems? So far, I've been using a couple of months worth of data to test systems with. Is that too much, too little? Anyone care to share their opinion? Thanks, Steve

Re: backtesting systems for greyhounds... How many races to test? hi, i had a greyhound system that was successful for over 9 months & over 400 races which was proving successful, but then it all started to go wrong & never really picked up again!, i believe that systems run in circles you just never know how big the circle is!!, so with that in mind it would be best to make hay while the sun shines!!!

Re: backtesting systems for greyhounds... How many races to test?

hi' date=' i had a greyhound system that was successful for over 9 months & over 400 races which was proving successful, but then it all started to go wrong & never really picked up again!, i believe that systems run in circles you just never know how big the circle is!!, so with that in mind it would be best to make hay while the sun shines!!![/quote'] have you heard of the bank barrier technique ?

Re: backtesting systems for greyhounds... How many races to test? Thanks for the answers. I read a book that suggested much what davyboy ran into, that one system won't work forever even at the same track in the same grade and distance. It suggested that you should reevaluate the system consistently and adjust it as needed. Right now, I'm looking at doing both long term (12 months) and short term (1-2 months) backtesting. I am interested in hearing about the bank barrier technique. I would appreciate more info or a link.

Re: backtesting systems for greyhounds... How many races to test? the bank barrier © techniques is used to protect your betting bank of course. A normal punter with a betting bank would bet 3% of his bank until it finishes right ? well with the bank barrier techniques (deciding on how much risk you want) the technique can cut of your gambling when you decide. eg lets say i have a starting bank of £100 and the amout of risk i want to expose to it is 50%. This means my bank barrier is £50. So you gamble as normal. If the bank balance is above £50 you gamble as normal but if it goes below £50 then it comes the bank barrier comes into play. so say today your bank was £51 and you had a bet for £2 and the bet lost, you now have £49. Now you paper trade any bets you have and calculate it to the £49 bank (but not really - or + cause you paper trading.) so you just keep paper trading until you the balance goes above £50. eg if your balance today is £49 (still paper trading ) and you have a selection today at £2 stake odds 3 and it wins. you win £4 in profit papertrade. Add that to the £49 which gives £53. So really this technique has cost you £3 insurance, something you could have won today. It cost you insurance to have the bank barrier come into play aswell. So any losing runs wont really cost you cause your protected. I had a starting back of £156 my bank barrier is (60%)£93.6 my real bank balance now is £84.48 due to fluctuations between real bank and papertrading. My paper trading balance is now £68.15 . when this balance reaches £93.6 then i will start using my real balance of £84.48 again. Hope everyone understands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: backtesting systems for greyhounds... How many races to test? It's a pity there isn't an equivalent for greyhounds of the searchable Adrian Massey horse racing database. It would be useful to know, for example, how much profit or loss would be made from backing the dog with the fastest sectional time in all races over the past 5 years, or what the effect on profit is of backing dogs who have just moved up a grade. Jeff