Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping

GaF

Are you particularly proud of the way you played a hand? Is it a text book example to others of how to induce a bluff/trap? Then post the hand history and thoughts and let us see :ok We dont care about results - whether you win or lose the hand is of no significance, whether you make money/chips or lose, makes no difference to the strength of your play - we dont want your bad beats here ;) Note: By posting your hand here you are inviting feedback, analysis and comment from others

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping Well, this is a bit 'fishy' but as there's a severe lack of activity on these threads i'm going to bang it in anyway (especially as i'm not putting my amazing bluff in, in fear of my life ;) though that was in cash.) PokerStars Game #13426471950: Tournament #68116185, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2007/11/23 - 20:04:30 (ET) Table '68116185 1' 9-max Seat #5 is the button Seat 2: RexKing (1690 in chips) Seat 4: JSpot55 (1285 in chips) Seat 5: Villain (3430 in chips) Seat 6: oldRP (600 in chips) Seat 8: Blavdes (3085 in chips) Seat 9: capadp (3410 in chips) oldRP: posts small blind 25 Blavdes: posts big blind 50 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to Blavdes [Td Tc] capadp: folds RexKing: calls 50 JSpot55: folds Villain: raises 150 to 200 oldRP: folds Blavdes: calls 150 RexKing: folds *** FLOP *** [3d 5c Th] Blavdes: checks Villain: checks *** TURN *** [3d 5c Th] [5h] Blavdes: bets 200 Villain: calls 200 *** RIVER *** [3d 5c Th 5h] [3h] Blavdes: bets 350 Villain: raises 1000 to 1350 Blavdes: raises 1335 to 2685 and is all-in Villain: calls 1335 *** SHOW DOWN *** Blavdes: shows [Td Tc] (a full house, Tens full of Fives) Villain: shows [Ah Qh] (a flush, Ace high) Blavdes collected 6245 from pot *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 6245 | Rake 0 Board [3d 5c Th 5h 3h] Seat 2: RexKing folded before Flop Seat 4: JSpot55 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: Villain (button) showed [Ah Qh] and lost with a flush, Ace high Seat 6: oldRP (small blind) folded before Flop Seat 8: Blavdes (big blind) showed [Td Tc] and won (6245) with a full house, Tens full of Fives Seat 9: capadp folded before Flop (didn't bet) ------------ My thinking through the hand is: Pre flop i'm calling to take the hand away on any flop. But the flop was great for me, but i check for 2 reasons: firstly, to trap and induce a raise, but also with the flop texture as it is - no flush or realistic straight draws - no matter what card comes i'm certain i'm still ahead with the hope the card will hit my opponent to hang themselves. The turn seals the deal for me but i do some sort of double bluff as a raise here looks so obvious at an attempt to steal the pot as i've called and checked showing weakness then the board pairs and i'm betting, it can only have confused them. It works as they call - not putting me on a FH. The river's a great card for me as i'm putting them on any of the 2 hands which they could have hit on the river i.e a 5 or flush. Standard to bet out as you might not get any more chips from checking as we know. Also the river bet is a value bet to get paid off but is low enough to make the opponent feel i can't have a full house as surely i'd be betting it stronger to get a bigger pay off, added with my bet on the turn i feel these two bets got me the pay off. Personally i'm not re-raising on paired boards even with the ace flush (learnt from bad mistakes made in the past) so that is fishy. The reason he does re-raise and call though is because not for one second do they think i have a full house because of the way i played it. I think if i checked the turn as well then went all in on the river they'd fold as it's a standard full house play, but by betting the turn , it disguised the hand and induced the bluff, i think.

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping nicely played nade:ok i play these sort of hands in a very similar manner ,smallish bets to either induce a value call or to give the opponent plenty of room to push over the top. like you say your bet looks weak so anybody with a good hand by the river is likely to push.

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping Yeah - nice play :ok You give the free card hoping he can catch up a little - you then charge him for his flush draw on the turn - he hits and isn't getting away from it then......

but as there's a severe lack of activity
Dont think there needs to be any rush to fill these threads - the structure is here, we can just post in them at the right times .... wasn't expecting hundreds of hands to be posted in the first week :loon :tongue2

• 1 month later...

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping Note sure if my check on the flop counts as classy, but I induced a bluff and I took all his chips.

PokerStars Game #14234094514: Tournament #72242994, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/12/31 - 19:13:38 (ET) Table '72242994 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button Seat 2: Avs1fan21 (945 in chips) Seat 3: babybic (1490 in chips) Seat 4: sadiemay2 (5555 in chips) Seat 5: Sactown16 (1165 in chips) Seat 6: OneTime4Mike (2450 in chips) Seat 7: asjohnstone (1275 in chips) Seat 9: dixnutz (620 in chips) asjohnstone: posts small blind 50 dixnutz: posts big blind 100 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to asjohnstone [Js 5h] Avs1fan21: folds babybic: folds sadiemay2: folds Sactown16: folds OneTime4Mike: folds asjohnstone: calls 50 dixnutz: checks *** FLOP *** [6c Jh 6d] asjohnstone: checks dixnutz: bets 520 and is all-in asjohnstone: calls 520 *** TURN *** [6c Jh 6d] [5d] *** RIVER *** [6c Jh 6d 5d] [7c] *** SHOW DOWN *** asjohnstone: shows [Js 5h] (two pair, Jacks and Sixes) dixnutz: shows [4d 9s] (a pair of Sixes) asjohnstone collected 1240 from pot *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 1240 | Rake 0 Board [6c Jh 6d 5d 7c] Seat 2: Avs1fan21 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 3: babybic folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 4: sadiemay2 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: Sactown16 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 6: OneTime4Mike (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 7: asjohnstone (small blind) showed [Js 5h] and won (1240) with two pair, Jacks and Sixes Seat 9: dixnutz (big blind) showed [4d 9s] and lost with a pair of Sixes

• 1 month later...

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping It's fun making people shove when they are drawing deader than a doornail... - JiriHudler sitting in seat 1 with $56.44 - str1 sitting in seat 2 with $54.83 - rodders67 sitting in seat 3 with $35.16 - leba24 sitting in seat 4 with $43.68 - smokeyd1 sitting in seat 5 with $35.17 [Dealer] - kelsey72 sitting in seat 6 with $85.36 kelsey72 posted the small blind - $0.25 JiriHudler posted the big blind - $0.50 ** Dealing card to str1: King of Diamonds, King of Clubs str1 called - $0.50 rodders67 raised - $2.00 leba24 folded smokeyd1 folded kelsey72 folded JiriHudler folded str1 raised - $9.50 rodders67 called - $9.50 ** Dealing the flop: King of Hearts, 4 of Diamonds, 6 of Hearts str1 checked rodders67 checked ** Dealing the turn: 5 of Diamonds str1 bet - $9.00 rodders67 went all-in - $25.66 str1 called - $25.66 ** Dealing the river: 9 of Hearts rodders67 shows: 10 of Hearts, Ace of Spades str1 shows: King of Diamonds, King of Clubs str1 wins $68.07 from the main pot

• 4 months later...

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping Oh baby i love this stuff more then anything :nana Crush the idiots who think they're god haha !! ----- 2 hands before the trap i'd cont. bet with 2nd pair vs this player, they re-raised with top pair with 8,9o , then checked down the whole way. The next hand i raised them pre flop from SB, they re-raised from BB and i folded. So i was appearing a little weak loose to this player. Knew it. And let them think it. Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed) Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver) UTG ($100) Hero ($134.40) Button ($155.95) SB ($99.40) BB ($100) Preflop: Hero is MP with 4club.gif, Adiamond.gif. 1 fold, Hero raises to $3.5, Button calls $3.50, 1 fold, BB calls $2.50. Flop: ($11) 2heart.gif, Aclub.gif, Tspade.gif (3 players) BB checks, Hero bets $6, Button calls $6, BB folds. (Cont. bet again, they've just seen me betting lightly before so gotta keep the same image) Turn: ($23) 2club.gif (2 players) Hero checks, Button bets $15, Hero calls $15. (Check just as had done 2 hands before when we checked down and i showed 2nd pair, let stupid villain bet) River: ($53) 3heart.gif (2 players) Hero checks, Button bets $35, Hero calls $35. (Check again, knew they'd fire again figuring i was a weak player and would fold most bets) Final Pot: $123 Hero has 4c Ad (two pair, aces and twos). Button has Qd Jd (one pair, twos). Outcome: Hero wins $123. Boom. I love it when a plan comes together haha !! They think they got me cornered but i'm always maneuvering and thinking. Get in.

• 4 months later...

Re: Classy Plays - Inducing a bluff/trapping PokerStars Game #21772670462: Tournament #118522440, $15+$1 Omaha Hi/Lo Pot Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2008/11/05 1:11:55 ET Table '118522440 1' 9-max Seat #9 is the button Seat 1: nsmyther (2275 in chips) Seat 2: gbarlam (1534 in chips) Seat 3: shen (1001 in chips) Seat 4: presi2s (714 in chips) Seat 6: chefinomaha (5702 in chips) Seat 9: Maktupac (2274 in chips) nsmyther: posts small blind 100 gbarlam: posts big blind 200 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to nsmyther [Ks 2c 9s Kh] shen: folds presi2s: folds chefinomaha: calls 200 Maktupac: calls 200 nsmyther: calls 100 gbarlam: checks *** FLOP *** [8c Kd Kc] nsmyther: checks gbarlam: checks chefinomaha: checks Maktupac: checks *** TURN *** [8c Kd Kc] [4d] nsmyther: bets 800 gbarlam: folds chefinomaha: folds Maktupac: calls 800 *** RIVER *** [8c Kd Kc 4d] [Jc] nsmyther: checks Maktupac: bets 1000 nsmyther: raises 275 to 1275 and is all-in Maktupac: calls 274 and is all-in Uncalled bet (1) returned to nsmyther *** SHOW DOWN *** nsmyther: shows [Ks 2c 9s Kh] (HI: four of a kind, Kings) Maktupac: shows [8s Td As 3c] (HI: two pair, Kings and Eights) nsmyther collected 4948 from pot No low hand qualified *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 4948 | Rake 0 Board [8c Kd Kc 4d Jc] Seat 1: nsmyther (small blind) showed [Ks 2c 9s Kh] and won (4948) with HI: four of a kind, Kings Seat 2: gbarlam (big blind) folded on the Turn Seat 3: shen folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 4: presi2s folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 6: chefinomaha folded on the Turn Seat 9: Maktupac (button) showed [8s Td As 3c] and lost with HI: two pair, Kings and Eights