Gold Cup Quandary

I know it is a long way away but: If Kauto Star and Denman meet in the Gold Cup what will be the riding orders to the jockey of Denman? Kauto Star is all about pace (at least at 3 1/4 miles). Denman is all about stamina. So will Paul Nicholls tell Denman's jockey to go out there and make it a good test, to blunt Kauto's speed? Denman's best chance of winning is surely to do just that.

Re: Gold Cup Quandary

I know it is a long way away but: If Kauto Star and Denman meet in the Gold Cup what will be the riding orders to the jockey of Denman? Kauto Star is all about pace (at least at 3 1/4 miles). Denman is all about stamina. So will Paul Nicholls tell Denman's jockey to go out there and make it a good test, to blunt Kauto's speed? Denman's best chance of winning is surely to do just that.
there may be a couple of factors to consider : Ground conditions, i would favour Denman in a slog although Kauto Star has proven itself on the ground also. Current form, will both horses be on form coming into the race as KS has already been beaten & is due out this coming Saturday. Both have different owners, this leads me to believe that Denman's owner will want the best if Ruby stays with KS. So will he trust Sam Thomas, or pass it over to someone like Paddy Brennan who is the future star in the making. McCoy, Brennan etc also have comittments so i would expect perhaps Sam Thomas will ride it in the Hennessy which may book his gold cup place.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.