Mind Boggling odds!

SteveO

My mate's a scientist and we were talking about the ods in poker and he made this remarkable comment. He said, "The chances of you being you would be like getting dealt pocket aces every hand you play poker for your entire lifetime and you would still be very far away". I was bemused by this and he continued "first the universe had to come into existence, then an extreme set of circumstance led to the earth being born and life evolving, and then millions of years later your mother met you father and a particular sperm and egg formed to become you. These odds are so astronomical it's probably an infinite number". Totally blew me away, I'll never complain about a bad beat ever again.

Re: Mind Boggling odds!

My mate's a scientist and we were talking about the ods in poker and he made this remarkable comment. He said, "The chances of you being you would be like getting dealt pocket aces every hand you play poker for your entire lifetime and you would still be very far away". I was bemused by this and he continued "first the universe had to come into existence, then an extreme set of circumstance led to the earth being born and life evolving, and then millions of years later your mother met you father and a particular sperm and egg formed to become you. These odds are so astronomical it's probably an infinite number". Totally blew me away, I'll never complain about a bad beat ever again.
Sounds like he's just read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. ;) :ok