New job

swampster

Re: New job

This guys Mag gets slagged a hell of a lot :lol :unsure
Well, it's not his mag till Monday ;) But he asked for feedback - I DO find it a considerably worse read than my "staples" of Inside Poker and Poker Player - if we don't give honest feedback as to why we find it worse, it'll never get better ;) To be fair though - my comments on this article still pale into insignificance against Inside Edge when they ran an article on a roulette system, which examined previous results and used that to predict more likely results on future spins ..... that one made my blood boil (and was nearly enough by itself for me to dump Inside Edge!!)

Re: New job I have perhaps 12-18 issues each of PP, Inside Edge and Flush, and seem to have a lot of articles (the aforementioned how to play AA/AK/etc) about 5 times each. As previously said, it needs to stand out, with decent freerolls being the best way to do that... but in terms of content, a few suggestions. 1. How to Win Big With No Investment! - There must be SOMEONE who could write a decent guide on how to win some money in a freeroll and go on to turn it into more money; might get you some buys from people who were trying to convince mates to give online poker a go. 2. Strategy DISCUSSIONS - I've read god knows how many articles when a pro has told us exactly why he played 67s the way he did in the BB with a 577 flop, or something similar, but it always seems to be one person. How about (similar to the idea above from UM) getting 3 pros with different styles to discuss how they'd play a hand, so that we can see there's not necessarily a 'right' way to play it? 3. No more Ungar - I love the book the Man Behind The Shades, but having read it, I feel I know nearly everything there is to know about Stuey. Review it, tell your readers to go and buy it, then don't bother running any other pieces on him. 4. Imaginative prizes in freerolls - The year's tuition with Raymer (I think?) that one of the mags did was a great attention grabber, far better than entry into a big tourney IMO. Something similar would be cool, or the chance to play against a name pro/celeb HU, or something like that. 5. Tourney analysis - Pick a player, look at his key hands in a tourney. Doesn't necessarily have to be a big name - maybe have a pro doing the analysis on a celeb in an STT, or even use this as a freeroll prize - winner gets his play analysed by Phil Hellmuth (for example.) As interesting as posts about specific hands are, they often miss the point that it's not one hand that matters, but the overall result - this way we'd see HOW someone tries to set up a bluff, for example. 6. More variants. Hell, to add to the HORSE games, how about some of the less common games that are appearing online, like Crazy Pineapple? Even a basic 'how to play' primer would give you something which probably hasn't been in any of the other mags. (Haven't bought any for a few months, so feel free to correct me there, anyone) Them's my thoughts, hope they help... gl in the new job mate!

2. Strategy DISCUSSIONS - I've read god knows how many articles when a pro has told us exactly why he played 67s the way he did in the BB with a 577 flop' date=' or something similar, but it always seems to be one person. How about (similar to the idea above from UM) getting 3 pros with different styles to discuss how they'd play a hand, so that we can see there's not necessarily a 'right' way to play it?[/quote'] Not to want to hijack this thread but InsidePoker has being doing this for well over a year now. http://www.inside-edge-mag.co.uk/poker/strategy/1873/pro_views_nlhe_tournament.html That's an example from earlier in the year. The current issue has Gus Hansen, Chris Ferguson and Andy Bloch talking about three different situations with AQ. Cheers Alun

Not to want to hijack this thread but InsidePoker has being doing this for well over a year now. http://www.inside-edge-mag.co.uk/poker/strategy/1873/pro_views_nlhe_tournament.html That's an example from earlier in the year. The current issue has Gus Hansen, Chris Ferguson and Andy Bloch talking about three different situations with AQ. Cheers Alun
I like those articles, but I think maybe Jaded was suggesting more of an emphasis on getting views from players with different styles on situations where style is particularly an issue. I'd like to see something that went one step further, though I realize that it would be a lot harder to arrange. It would be very interesting to see a debate rather than just having a few players giving an answer to a question. Maybe not on specific situations, but on general principles, with players questioning each other's views and putting counterarguments.

I like those articles, but I think maybe Jaded was suggesting more of an emphasis on getting views from players with different styles on situations where style is particularly an issue. I'd like to see something that went one step further, though I realize that it would be a lot harder to arrange. It would be very interesting to see a debate rather than just having a few players giving an answer to a question. Maybe not on specific situations, but on general principles, with players questioning each other's views and putting counterarguments.
Hansen and Ferguson have pretty different styles don't they? But yes, point taken. Re: your idea. I think you're right on both counts - it would be a nightmare to organise and would be really interesting to read. I'll put it on the to-do list. Cheers Alun p.s. Nothing could be further from my mind Tipper ;)