Haydock yesterday - a disgrace

bowles10

I dont blame the fella & to be honest, Haydock should be ashamed of themselves. How much money went on that race in terms of bets etc. We were cheated as the official ground conditions were totally incorrect. If i were the BHB i would investigate & take this race away from Haydock park. They would then feel the consequences of such a decent race being spoilt. Pity Morrison didnt pull the horse but then he would have been shot!! As a protest all trainers should boycott next years race? Comments? Quoted from Attheraces Hughie Morrison remained most unhappy in the wake of Sakhee's Secret's eclipse in the Betfred Sprint Cup at Haydock. His July Cup winner was sent off the red-hot 11-8 favourite for the Group One contest but had to settle for fifth behind Red Clubs. Morrison was fuming afterwards, blaming the defeat squarely on what he believed to be over-watered ground, and was no happier 24 hours later. He said: "The times of the races confirmed it was on the soft side of good and I am seething with rage. You have to think about the stable staff who put in so much work to prepare a horse for a race like this and it ends up being all for nothing." He added: "I can take it on the chin if the weather changes and brings about a change in the going, but for the course to water so close to the start of the meeting is simply not right. We have become a laughing stock." As for future running plans, he added: "He's in the Diadem and the Abbaye but at the moment I am so disillusioned that I am not sure where he will run, in fact I might put him away until next year." Mick Channon was also vociferous in his criticism of ground conditions, despite his Mutawaajid running a big race to finish fourth. He said: "We knew on Friday the ground was on the soft side of good and it is absolutely ludicrous they have left it at good to firm, good in places."

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace Probably explains why Hellvelyn ran so poorly too then. I haven't looked at RP news yet but it makes a mockery of punters who study to find a good to firm performer and then you're told it was closer to soft. The course will probably get some paltry fine, maybe if the trainers don't boycott next years meeting then the punters should. Maybe all the Haydock staff had laid Sakhees Secret on Betfair, an absolute joke of a race and any form from that race can be written off.

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace I tend to agree, Bowlesy:ok I hate this 'watering of the track'....the only time it is necessary is when the ground becomes 'unsafe', other than that the weather should dictate the state of the going. However, before we get carried away, let's have the official word on this from the BHB, and a comment from someone at Haydock Park. I'm not saying anything against Hughie Morrison or Mick Channon, but we have seen it before where the trainers blame other factors without just reason. Saying that, I actually do believe the course was overwatered:ok If allegations are true, Haydock should be punished and hit them where it hurts...in the pocket.

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace Agree completely Bowles, it was a complete farce yesterday, there was no need to water as much as they did. It ended up ruining what was a very interesting race. I certainly dont blame Morrison for his fury, I mean he sent his horse up to Haydock as he liked the firm ground, then they go and water so the ground ends up on the softer side. I mean, whats the point in changing the going conditions. Fair enough about horses safety and all that but they managed 20 years ago ...... Yes, mistakes do happen but I think Hughie will now be very reluctant to send his horses up to Haydock in case of the same situation. I have been to Haydock before and its a very nice track but the events of yesterday have ruined their reputation.

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace cheers guys:ok Agree with this one! "If I was Peter Chapple-Hyam, having pulled Dutch Art out because it was too firm, I would be fuming." quote from haydock Clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright said: "It's not soft - I think that's a definitive fact. The first two races have been run in standard time and it's not rough. "It maybe that there's a bit more cushion in it than is normally the case."

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace After the wet and miserable summer we have had, I am sure Hughie has had to wait for the firmer ground with Sakhees Secret and he showed how good he was when he got his ground at Newmarket. Then, when it is firm again, he is entered at Haydock and when we eventually get dry weather after a wet summer, they decide to water and make it soft again. I mean .......

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace Going At Haydock Is it time going descriptions were taken out of the hands of clerks? Once at Fontwell the horses could barely walk over the line yet the official going was Good-Soft. The times too suggested heavy going. This is putting punters away, not only on the day but also when studying form for future races. I went to see the racecourse officials to ask why the official going had not changed. Apparently, they only change it if jockeys tell them it is different or they themselves get out on to the course. It had been raining all day, poor things. They do not take times in to consideration. On the way back home the roads were flooded. Clerks have a conflict of interest, employed by the racecourses that naturally want as many / best quality runners as possible. Before racing I do not see any alternative but to leave the going description in their hands. However, what about letting representatives from the Racing Post and Timeform take over once racing commences? Timeform already produce their own going assessments, so they obviously do not trust official going descriptions. The Halifax team take many things into account including times, (whether fast or slowly run) and wind direction / speed. To say stop watering is unrealistic. Speaking to the jockeys doctor, Dr. Pritchard he told me Jockeys injuries go up by 60% on a firm surface. No-doubt it is similar or worse for the horses. Courses should water to produce safe ground. I myself do not believe firm is ever safe for all runners, good-firm is. e.g. I would be worried about a horse with a very rounded action like Peeping Fawn on firm. There will be occaisions courses get it wrong and over water or under water, For the sake of the horses I would rather they do the former. I do not believe they do it deliberately (just human error). If they put their hands up, say sorry and alter the going description, most people would accept the situation with misgivings. To bury their heads in the turf and not change it is totally unacceptable. If so many connections told the clerk it was not good-firm. Unless there was a strong head-wind the times indicated it was not good-firm. So Why did he not change it? The going though was not soft / heavy, the times in my opinion say good, good-soft in places. But many good ground horses failed to act on it. It was not like the usual good going. Is there a case to have another official going of “loose”? Ginge

Re: Haydock yesterday - a disgrace Further rumblings with a report on the Post website that Richard Hills who had rode at the track on Friday had spoken to conections of Per Incanto who were in the States & told them the horse had no chance because they'd overwatered on Thursday. The Posts time expert says the going was no worse than good, however as I've said in my thread when do the the fast ground horses get their chance? I would say the only reasons for watering are to maintain a good cover of grass in the event of a long dry spell, which is hardly this year or the the unlikely event of the going becoming the not very often used hard. Rio.