** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Yugoslavia - Finland

Finland @ 7.00 Big price in what will be a tough game for Yugoslavia. They ground out a draw in Italy on Saturday while Finland had an easy 3-0 win over Azerbaijan. I'm not 100% sure but didn't the Cezch Republic beat Yugoslavia 5-0 in a recent friendly?? And of course Finland beat Portugal 4-1 in a friendly earlier in the year :( I watched that game in horror but was very impressed with Finland and expected them to go onto bigger things. Their counter attacking football that night leads me to beleive they have a game that quite suits playing away from home. I don't know what happened in the poor 2-0 home defeat to Wales but the pressure will be on for this one. Yugoslavia didn't qualify for the World Cup and although they undoubtedly have more quality than Finland some of their older players might be feeling the effects of that hard earned draw in Italy. The key here might be if Hyppia plays or not. If so I think Finland at 7.00 has got to be the value bet of the week! What do you all think?? :)

Guest Accaman

re Well, first of all I have to take some credit for being spot on for the Italy - Yu game. As I said Yu plays best when nobody expect them to do well. I watched the match and Yu deserved at least a draw, if not all 3 points. Italy did not create one single chance in the game, even their goal was a big deflection after a free kick. But now big question is can Yu build up on good result from Italy? I hope so. Defense played very well, Kovacevic (forward) is playing best football of his carrier. Whole team is fired up and I`m expecting an easy win 2-0 or 3-0.

Guest cjamars

Re: re Got to be Yugoslavia for this one even at cramped odds. Traditionally strong at home against a side that does not travel well. Finland beating Azeribijan (by any reckoning one of the worst five teams in Europe) and group whipping boys in any Group they have been in is no great achievement. Italy were extremely lucky to get out of jail with a drawm and Yugoslavia will surely be looking to press home their good start. Defeats by Wales and Ireland are more indicative of the true state of Finiish football IMO.

Form YUGOSLAVIA WC 2002 Qualifiers - Home Record 2-2-1 D Switzerland 1-1 L Russia 0-1 W Faroe Islands 2-0 D Slovenia 1-1 W Luxembourg 6-2 FINLAND WC 2002 Qualifiers - Away Record 1-1-2 L Greece 0-1 L England 1-2 W Albania 2-0 D Germany 0-0 ----------------------------- Interesting that the only sides Yugoslavia could beat were the world super powers of the Faroe Islands & Luxembourg :rolleyes Finland away done pretty well - never beaten easily in what was a tough group. Just 3 conceded in those 4 away games while Yugoslavia struggled to score against the 'decent' sides in their group. Also taking into account recent friendly results the 6/1 is a super price. People say not to look too much into friendlies but recent friendlies have shown improved results for Hungary & Wales and bad results for Iceland. Hungary & Wales have subsequently made good starts to the Euro 2004 qualifying and a bad start for Iceland.

Guest Accaman

re Luso, your statistic is corect, but it doesn`t tell all. I had a pleasure (not), to watch all Yugoslavian games in WC qualifiers at home and in all of them we were much, much better than oposition, but couldn`t finish them off. Swiss and Slovenia both scored with their only effort on Yu goal, while we had about 5 or 6 100% chances which we couldnt convert. Now I`m not saying that won`t be the case on Wednesday, but my gut feeling is that Finland will get some serious beating, if only because somebody is long overdue one.

Re: Sammy Hipia - Liverpool Finland has two good wingers :Joonas Kolkka(Panathinaikos) and Mika Nurmel0a(Heerenveen),and with Litmanen plays Teemu Tainio(auxerre), who is in very good form - auxerre leads in France.Defense - Pasanen(Ajax),Saarinen(Rosenborg),Tihinen(Stavanger) - all are in first eleven. Problems for Finland are strikers - Forsell is injured, Johanson doesent play either.They use in front Antti sumiala (Norrköping) who works very much ,but is not so fast as Forsell.Tihinen doesent play allso, because of 2 yellow cards. I prefer Yogoslavia ,but i think its gone be tricky.

Guest Da Hannanah

... This is the Finland that lost 0-2 at home v. Wales we are talking about?????? I know Wales are a prety decent side these days, but still... Regarding Pasanen - he has only started 1 of Ajax 3 CL games. Dont know whether that qualifies as a "regular" in the starting 11 ;) Regarding Sumiala - he used to play in a smallish Danish club, and coulnd't even cut the mustard there. Losing Forsell must be a BIG handicap for Finland ;) Finland do have a couple of capable players, but they haven't become world-beaters overnight, guys...

Guest tigertough12

Yug 3-0 Yugoslavia will crush Finland. They should've taken all 3 points against Italy and even had a penalty dissalowed in the first half when kovacevic was pushed off the ball when going for shot on goal. Italy scored a fluke goal as well. Disregard yugoslavias world cup qualifier campaign form as the whole association was in turmoil and coaches where bitching amongst each other. Dejan Savicevic took over the helms with Piksi (Dragan Stojkovic) during the later part of the campaign but there was not much they could do as the side had already lost too many valuable points at home. This will be an easy win and look out for a Kovacevic Hat-trick.

Re: Yug 3-0 yugo are facing 4 players out and finland will have a morale boost after the 3-0 win to the azers (first in three consec home games). finns have a strong physical presence and i believe that the morale boost from the home victory will bring the confidence required to address their finishing problems! i know that the finns don't travel well but a price in excess of 7.00 is too much in my opinion!

Re: Yug 3-0 - maybe not.. Finland are no world beaters but no whipping boys in this group and generally the team is pretty solid and plays well together with pride, the main problem is, as i have already earlier pointed out that there is no depth in the team. I am pretty happy with the first 11 if they all are available but specially there is no cover for the goalkeeper (Niemi-Soton), playmaker Litmanen(Ajax), or even the full backs. The team is also missing Forssell very badly. I can hardly say in confidence that Finland is going to win in Belgrad but it is a lot more likely than you lot and the bookies seem to think and with their basically solid defence and counter attacking style there is room for a surprise. Personally I am not going to bet on this match and I strongly suggest that you do not lump too heavily on the Yugos either.