** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Scotland v Canada (Sat 15th Oct)

Guest JONJO

Canada My thinking behind this is that Scotland have a qualifier on Saturday and maybe will get some injuries. Berti will then try and blood some new players to try out some different systems!. For some reason I got reading the canadasoccer.com website and from looking at the online pole they seem quite confident about winning. They have a few players who play in britain. From www.canadasoccer.com Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team Head Coach Holger Osieck today announced the 16 player roster which will face Scotland in an international friendly on October 15. The game will be played at Hibernian’s Easter Road Stadium in Edinburgh at 8:00 p.m. The game will be shown live on Rogers Sportsnet at 3:00 p.m. ET. Fourteen of the 16 players named were part of the team which defeated Switzerland on May 15. Nottingham Forest’s Jim Brennan and Livingston’s Davide Xausa are the two additions. The game should feature some interesting match-ups as several Canadian players will face fellow club teammates in the game. Canadian striker Tomasz Radzinski could see fellow Everton players Scot Gemmil and Gary Naysmith, while Brennan’s Forest teammate Gareth Williams is on the Scottish roster. Heart of Midlothian is well represented with Canadian defender/midfielder Kevin McKenna and Scottish internationals Scott Severin and Steven Pressley. The friendly will be a sort of homecoming for Richard Hastings whose parents live in Inverness. Hastings played eight seasons in Scotland before joining Austria’s Graz AK this summer. Jason deVos will return to Scotland for the first time since leaving Dundee United for Wigan Athletic in 2001. The same goes for Pat Onstad who spent two seasons with Dundee United before rejoining the Rochester Rhinos in 2001. The game will also be special for Paul Fenwick who plays his club soccer for Hibernian at Easter Road Stadium, where the friendly will take place. This is the second consecutive game Canada has played at the home ground of one of its players. On May 15, 2002 Canada defeated Switzerland 3-1 at St. Gallen’s Espenmoos Stadium, home of Daniel Imhof. The other Canadian playing on his home turf is Xausa, who plays for Edinburgh club Livingston. It then lists all of the squads stats and they dont look all that bad. I'll wait to see what happens at the weekend but I'm thinking definately X2.

Guest Honestayrman

Re: Canada Sorry Jonjo, but that's not nearly enough to suggest that Canada will come over here and beat Scotland. Anything is possible in football, but defeat by Canada would certainly be the end of Berti. There is no way any more young players will be blooded in this game either, he must have trailled over 30 players recently and must have an idea of his best 11 by now good or bad. I know that none of The Scottish players are world class but they are surely rated higher than an ordinary deVos, Hastings etc. It is possible for X2 because of low morale, dissapointing crowd, but surely everything points to Berti's first win.

Results Canada are not as poor as you or I would imagine. There last three results this year speak for themselves. USA 0-0 Canada South Korea 1-2 Canada Switzerland 1-3 Canada I'm not saying that they're going to come over here and p*ss all over Scotland but I think the bookies will have Canada way overpriced giving their form and the circumstances around the friendly and may just be worth a punt.

Guest Honestayrman

Re: Results Bring on the Canadians! After yesterdays morale booster I can only see one result on tuesday. Scotland will be desperate to build on this win and gain their first home win under McBerti

Crazy Price PaddyPower are offering 11/2 (6.50) On Canada - a cracking price IMO. Scotland aren't that much better than Canada IMO and I think Canada take their friendlies pretty seriously because they obviously don't get to play many quality sides in their confederation. Scotland may of beaten Iceland but Canada will cause them problems and the 6.50 is just way to big.

Injuries Scotland have an injury crisis after the Iceland game and Vogts has said he will do some experimenting. A win over the mighty Iceland doesn't make Scotland a decent side overnight - they're still a poor team and Canada will hopefully bring them back to earth with a bump :)

Prices Does anyone know where I can get the best price on Canada. Oddschecker aren't covering the friendlies. I've found 4.5 at Ukbetting, can anyone beat this ?

Guest Tonyvdb

safe bet IMO my bet : 3 singles on * Scotland - Canada : Canada-win à 5,75 (Nordicbet) : stake 5,5 EURO * Scotland - Canada: X à 3,55 (Playit) : stake 9 EURO * Scotland - Canada : Scotland(-1) X à 3,50 (= Scotland win with 1 goal difference) (Scandicbookmakers) :stake 9 EURO = total stake of 23,5 EURO -> if Scotland doesn't win with 2 clear or more -> gives me back 31,5 - 32 EURO (odds 1,35) Safe bet, not ?

Guest pdchabs

more match info Canada takes on an injury-ravaged Scottish side in an exhibition soccer game Tuesday in Edinburgh. The injury crisis -- five midfielders are out -- has taken the shine off the Scots' 2-0 win over Iceland on Saturday. That victory was the first in Berti Vogts' seven-game tenure as manager and ended the worst patch in Scotland's 130-year international history. The Iceland result also helped erase the bitter taste of a 2-2 tie with the lowly Faroe Islands. Now the Scots will have to face Canada (Rogers Sportsnet, 3 p.m. EDT) without three influential central midfielders: Celtic captain Paul Lambert and teammate Jackie McNamara, and Rangers captain Barry Ferguson -- plus Everton's Gary Naysmith and Rangers' Neil McCann. All but McCann played in Reykjavik. “We will have to change the team -- and that is a pity, but inevitable,†Vogts told the Scotsman newspaper. “Lambert, Ferguson, McNamara, McCann and Naysmith are all injured and will go back to their clubs for treatment. But the match against Canada was always an opportunity for me to look at others.†Canadian manager Holger Osieck saw the Iceland game and knows it was an important step forward for the Scots. “The performance definitely showed the team is ready to fight,†Osieck said from the team hotel in the Scottish capital. “There is a good spirit on the team and they did everything to win the game. So it was a great attitude. “People shouldn't get the wrong idea about the Scottish team. A lot of media people in Scotland, they almost destroyed the team after (the loss to) Faroe but it was probably because of their frustration. Now the team won, they did reasonably well and all of a sudden they've changed 180 degrees.†So have the British media. Vogts of Confidence was the headline in the Sunday Times while the Daily Telegraph opted for Berti Booster. Vogts had been criticized for overly radical surgery on his roster and for prematurely promoting young talent. Now he seems to have struck a balance, according to British pundits. Canada, ranked No. 70 to Scotland's 63, will be looking to nip Scotland's celebration in the bud. Scotland was once ranked as high as No. 20 in November 2000. But Osieck sounds a note of caution. “They have their pride and they don't like to get beat at home,†said Osieck. “In particular not against Canada.†Unlike the Scots, Canada is healthy and Osieck has a full roster at his disposal. That means a strike force led by Everton's Tomasz Radzinski, back in the fold after an estrangement from the national team. “After what has happened in the past, Tomasz has changed drastically,†said Osieck. “He's now one of the guys that takes charge. When you see him in training, he's working very hard and is a very positive example to the rest of the team. “It's definitely a significant change in his attitude and it can only be beneficial for our team and Canadian football.†Radzinski will be partnered up front by 24-year-old Dwayne DeRosario of the San Jose Earthquakes, another player back in Osieck's good books. “Dwayne, to be pretty frank, he has matured a lot. Two seasons with the San Jose team have definitely made a man of him. He's no more that young player and that is again beneficial for our team.†Like Scotland, Canada is coming off an impressive win -- 3-1 over Switzerland in St. Gallen on May 15. Canadians did not get to see the match since it wasn't televised, something that still rankles Osieck. “I don't know who was responsible for that,†he grumbled. Lars Hirschfeld, a backup at Spurs in England, will start in goal for Canada. “Lars looks very sharp,†Osieck said. “He's ready to play. Even Pat (Onstad) shows a great deal of commitment in training so right now, goalkeeper-wise, we are in a good position.†The Scottish game is one of particular interest to the Canadians, because so many have spent time in the Scottish leagues. Hibernian Paul Fenwick will be playing in his home ground, while fellow defender Kevin McKenna plays at cross-town rival Hearts. Forward Davide Xausa plies his trade in nearby Livingston and Onstad,captain Jason deVos and defender-midfielder Richard Hastings all previously played for Scottish club sides. “Definitely our entire team is very ambitious, but I have to put on the brake a little bit so they don't get carried away,†Osieck said. “When emotions become the first aspect and not the brain, then it's going to be dangerous.†Osieck, meanwhile, will be looking to put one over Vogts, a former colleague in the German national team setup. He will also be looking to add the scalp of an established side such as Scotland, albeit one that has experienced some rocky times in recent days. Notes: The Scots have added Celtic forward Simon Lynch to their roster. Lynch was born in Montreal, where his Scottish father Andy Lynch played for the NASL's Manic, and chose Scotland over Canada. ... Young faces in the lineup against Canada should include Aberdeen defender Russell Anderson, Birmingham midfielder Paul Devlin and Dundee United 'keeper Paul Gallacher. Vogts is expected to retain the starting strike force of Dunfermline's Stevie Crawford and Dundee United's Steven Thompson. ... Canada is 0-5-0 against Scotland and has been outscored 14-1.

i have gone for.... £30 canada win @ 4.75/1 (NordicBet) £10 Canada 3-0 @80/1 (WillHill) £20 Canada 2-0 @33/1 (WillHill) Think the canadians are good value cos of the few injuries scotland have and cos i dont think scotland are that good! - 1 win wont turn them into a good team. Think Canada will take the game seriously cos they have a few premiership players - and if they score quite early on, i'm hopin the scots will just shatter their confidence and struggle to get back into the game.

Guest The Muzzer

Re: i have gone for... ......buy on canada's performance index at 34 points which equates to a goal and about six corners to them. cant see many goals in the game, mind you the canadians were 2 up by half time in their last two matches ?! 2-1 canada i rekon.

friendlies playing lots of friendlies (and losing) to teams much higher in rankings, with lots of new inexperienced players, many of whom have since drifted away or returned to U21's doesn't make you a bad team either. Scotland will perform when it matters, for me coming back from a 2 goal deficit against Faroes nearly qualifies there as well ;) They tend not to do well in friendlies because of these factors: experimentation and quality of opposition. I would expect Canada will be more up for this, however, I believe their team consists of English lower league and lesser Scottish Premier League players rather than Premiership players, the motivation factor and the high odds suggest Canada. No way am I betting though.

Guest The Muzzer

safe call ! Probably the best call on the match ;) I have always found that bored punts for the sake of punting on a nothing game do not work out well !! when will i ever learn..................;)

Guest The Highlander

How quickly things change Coming from behind to win 3-1 tonight after winning on Saturday means the future looks good again for the Scots, tonight they were missing Hutchison, Ferguson, Lambert, Burley, Matteo, Naysmith, McNamara and McCann and they'll all be back for the next Euro qualifier. I'm away to check the odds on them coming top of their group :rollin