** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rep Ireland - Switzerland

Guest johnny

This looks a decent home bet to me (8/15 at Whills). Whilst Switz did have a good win against Georgia, they only drew 1-1 with Albania at the weekend, and the rep had no game so should be fresh. Any thoughts?

Agree with Ireland Win Definitely this is the best match to go for Ireland have a exceptional home record in competitions, and I belive Henchoz is out??? Might be my banker for midweek - must reseach first though. Being Irish I can tell you if we don't beat Switzerland the fans will be suprised to say the least. Recon about 2-0.

Guest PoppyPower25

Re: Agree with Ireland Win Yeah da bhoys should win this alright, but the swiss are on the up, and a 1-1 draw in albania is a good result - cant see us doing much better. Think McCarthy and his mouthing this week might disrupt the team. Dont think id beat on this for the da sake of 8/15, as i'd be gutted enuff if they dont win it, never mind losing a few quid on it.

Guest Tonyvdb

Re: Agree with Ireland Win 1,70 for an Irish win is interesting, Ireland are strong at home so there shouldn't be a big problem for the Irish beating the Swiss...

Guest Knightshifter

Re: Agree with Ireland Win I have to agree and go for Ireland here. The result in Russia says more, I think about the russian themselves that the Irish. It's always a difficult place to go. At Landsdowne Road, Ireland are a different proposition, and the crowd will be on fire. I can vouch for that. The atmosphere was a bit flat for one or two of the friendlies leading up to the World Cup, but in the game against Iran and some of the other friendlies, the crowd really got behind the team. Also, the crowd were great at the friendly match against Russia a while back, which Ireland won 2-0. The absence of Henchoz seals it for me and I'll go for the home win at whatever odds. (Currently 4-7 at Paddy Power). Cheers, Gav.

Guest Da Hannanah

Henchoz Where do you guys have that Henchoz-information from? Is it reliable? He's their mvp. as I see it, so this could sway me as well...

Guest Mr Bookie Buster

Re: Ireland V Switzerland I have money on Ireland now. Just hope that the under 21 result of 2:3 is not a bad omen for tomorrow night. Ireland were up 2:0 after 10 minutes but must have sat back or somthing. I know that the under 21 team were missing some talent anyway as they have been moved to the senior team. Thomas Butler being one for instance. The fact that Henchoz is out is really very interesting. I am also interested in the source and relibility of this information.

Guest paulybhoy

I would be wary of sticking this match down as a solid bet I hope it is, but there is a lot of pressure on McCarthy after certain aspects of his book have been leaked and his non committal reponse to the ex Sunderland postion when asked, which DID not go down at all well in Ireland. Without doubt Ireland do have the ability to win this match, and the fact that they have only lost 2 competitive matches in the past 3 years and not lost at Landsdowne road in the last 17, shows this; but this is essentially a new Irish side with Staunton and Quinn gone(2 key personalities let alone players) and what personally concerns me a lot is the choice of Cunningham as captain, I do not believe this guy is anything other than a motivatior by example and for me this is not enough at international level, he is not imo, a great talker or posess a motivational personality, for me he is a liabilty in this role. the previous time he captained at home, Ireland beat Macedonia 1-0, hardly inspiring! This Swiss side seems to be a hard working TEAM and could well frustrate Ireland. I really hope I am wrong but my gut feeling is Ireland are going to struggle to qualify from this group.

I know that I always seem to complain about the Irish, but really lads, they are overrated and apart from Keane they all struggle to score. They were poor in Moscow, they won one game in the world cup but emerged as heroes and world champions in the media and they miss Roy Keane more than they themselves seem to understand. Putting on some pressure on clumsy Breen and Cunningham just might be the key for a valuable away win, and there just might be some space in the left as well if Harte forgets his manager's advice to concentrate on defending in stead of scoring. Ireland is the favorite to win this game but very poor value.

Guest PoppyPower25

Re: I know ORFEUZ - ive never heard an irish man talk more crud in me life - explain what u mean about ireland always struggling to score?? - Against Iran in the second play off game was the only time in the last 20 or 30 odd matches that ireland havent scored in... Not many teams in world football can say that. Also, in the last 16 years, Ireland have played 37 competitive home games; they have lost only two of them. In those 16 years they have conceded a grand total of 17 goals at home (six of those in those two defeats) and recorded a miserly 24 clean sheets.Truly, Dublin is a footballing fortress. I agree that ireland under achieved in the world cup, and theres alot of dead wood on the team, but theres no sound reason behind ur pessimistic talk - ireland dont, and never have had the best starting 11 in the world, but when it comes to fighting spirit and passion theres not many teams to match them. So less of ur idle talk and get behind those boys in green - as they'll be giving it 110% tonite! C'mon Oiiiirelannnd!

Poppy, I have a reason I am not Irish..:) , just living and working here for a while. I can see you agree a lot of what I said about them, it is just the thing that opposing your own country is very difficult for most of us, for me as well, we do not see the game realistically. Ireland however is the team I think I know best at the moment and opposing it tonight is the best betting idea for tonight. I hope for your sake and my friends's sake that the lads in green win tonight, it would be a pleasure and I am happy to drink to that as well, but I just can see it worth putting your money into.

Guest paulybhoy

Tosh Carrying on from PoppyPower25- Ireland geting beat by Nigeria in a friendly a few days before boarding the plane(who is going to risk injury, leaving aside all the substitutions made) for the world cup is pretty much irrelevant to tonights result. And YES you should have known better Tosh!!:) But, I DO NOT LIKE THIS MATCH TONIGHT AT ALL, I have had a gut feeling about this match, even before the Russian game and that game which I watched did not change my thoughts, more reinforced them. Roy Keane is unavailable so talk of him is irrelevant, but Ireland do and will miss Staunton more than anyone. he was the guy (in Keanes absence and even when he was present) who fired them up and dragged them forward and scored more than an occasional important goal, Ask yourself can Cunningham replace him, my answer from experience is a definite NO. PoppyPower25 your right Ireland will give 100%, but that has been overplayed imo, in the sense that Ireland has in the past has had some world class players, a solid defence and always if you look back over the years you mention, at least 2 leaders on the park. Such as McGrath, McCarthy(laugh non Irish fans but in the green he was a leader with total commitment)Keane, Staunton, Brady, Houghton, Whelan, Townsend, were all players speaking as a fan that could lift those around them by taking a game by the scruff of the neck or by example/fear factor in the case of McGrath(example) McCarthy(fear) the others fell into both categories. In Duff and Keane we have potential world class players, and Morrison has the glimmer imo. But they are strikers! Where are the leaders?? Holland is a good player, but tends to go awol to often to be relied upon. Kinsella is too busy mopping up others mistakes to be fair to him and whilst a very good player he does not seem to have that leadership quality, if he did! Why is Cunningham captain? My hope Ireland to win Cunningham to prove me wrong My expectatons A draw, subject to the containment of The Yakin brothers, who for me are both special players, especially Hakan Yakin. My action and advice keep your money in your pocket.

Guest PoppyPower25

The Big Mac Mystery Paulo - im with u on this about a dodgy enuff game, as its sh@te or bust for the lads tonite, and i for one hold me hand up when it comes to Stan - only now when he's gone do u notice the difference. The big laff i get though, is why Mick waits 1 hour before the game to announce his starting 11 - come on mick, its not as if ur going to surprise anyone by dropping ur lovely loyalty card to the likes of donkey kilbane and harte "the defender, whos not renouned for his defensive capabilites!".

Guest paulybhoy

Poppy Big mac mystery? I bet Richard Dunne:) knows who did it! For the third time(extra lucky wish)I hope I am wrong I hope that the mounting pressure fires them all up, the home crowd as you say will be a big factor tonight, if they can keep up the noise for 90 mins. If Cunningham starts acting more like a normal Dub, and starts balling at the likes of Harte and Kilbane to go for it. On a positive note, with Duff in the side they are not going to have it easy either. Ye never know Mick might suprise and start with Morrison, and switch duff to the left, if he gets a game watch him, he is a talent but he always looks like he is on the training pitch, talk about layed back!!

Guest paulybhoy

Tosh I bet you had wished you had waited now, beside the FACT that you actually did not make a case!! After last nights comments, God help you! The Scots will be after you tonight :rollin Get them jim jams on quick, and catch the flu for a few days. :)