Gambling Act 2005

ColU_FC

The provisions of this act relating to poker take effect on 1 September 2007. I've yet to see anything official on what the new rules are concerning playing poker in member only clubs (eg. Rileys), Pubs, etc. Anyone got any information/links that explains what's going to happen? Update I found this on the Gambling Commission's website: ---------------------------------------------------------- Q. Will Poker be allowed in pubs under the Gambling Act 2005? Under the new Gambling Act 2005 (which will be fully implemented in September 2007), equal chance gaming will be permitted in premises with alcohol licences without requiring any specific permission, but it will also be subject to statutory restrictions. These will include limits on stakes and prizes, a prohibition on any levy or deductions from stakes and prizes, no charge to play, and a prohibition on linking games between premises. These regulations will be published by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Unfortunately we do not know when these guidelines are likely to be issued or what the details will be. If you are interested in this you should select the “Register for updates†option at the top of our website. You will then be sent a fortnightly email bulletin and when the guidance is issued it will be included in this. ------------------------------------------------------------ I haven't found anything on the Department for Culture, Media and Sport's website so presumably they are still thinking about it. :wall

Re: Gambling Act 2005

a prohibition on any levy or deductions from stakes and prizes, no charge to play
does this mean that some places are likley to stop hosting poker games as they wont get any subs from it? i know theres the argument that people coming through the door buy drinks etc, but not all places need that and i can imagine that other options will provide a more profitable bar tab...

does this mean that some places are likley to stop hosting poker games as they wont get any subs from it? i know theres the argument that people coming through the door buy drinks etc' date=' but not all places need that and i can imagine that other options will provide a more profitable bar tab...[/quote'] I run a poker league once a month at our local british legion We are allowed to charge a maximum of £10 per game per person, with no charges allowed and no rake, agreed by the local council offices, there is also no money allowed to be on the table, which is where poker chips come into effect To make any money from this, I get 10% of the bar tab for the concert room we use....which usually works out around £30 for me If we didnt use the room, the bar would miss out on £270 worth of sales, unless theres a band or function on, which dosent happen to often now with more attractive venues available close by...ive even been asked to run a league at 3 other pubs, which im in discussion with, as some midweek nights a lot of the pubs are empty So to me, even if the pub/club cannot charge rakes/fees they will still make a packet from drinks n food if they wanted, hopefully meaning they will continue to run pub poker games:ok

Re: Gambling Act 2005 I play poker every Friday and Sunday in my pub. The guys don't charge a rake, the only thing taken is if cards or similar are needed. I too would like to know the full rules on pub poker. I may cut and paste, depending what I find (If you'd rather I just pasted the links, tell me and I'll edit the posts) Delving into http://www.culture.gov.uk archives, I've noticed this, similar to what Morlspin has outlined above. http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_library/Press_notices/archive_2007/dcms011_07.htm Consultation launched on gaming in clubs and pubs 011/07 Comprehensive new proposals to control the provision of gaming in clubs and premises licensed to sell alcohol are outlined today by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The new proposals, published in a consultation document, update the current 40-year- old rules permitting certain forms of gambling on these premises. They would for the first time, set clear stake and prize limits on poker in clubs (ie members’ clubs, commercial clubs, and miners’ welfare institutes) and on all forms of gaming in alcohol-licensed premises (eg pubs). Under the proposals alcohol-licensed premises will no longer be required to seek permission from their local licensing authority for gaming to take place providing a set of stringent conditions are complied with: • children and young people must be prohibited from participation • gaming is limited to ‘equal chance’ games (such as cribbage or poker) between customers. Games like roulette and blackjack will be prohibited; • stakes and prizes for the gaming must be low. Stakes will be limited to a maximum of £5 in pubs and £10 in clubs for games of poker; • the operator must not take a ‘cut’ from money staked or won; or charge participation fees (including membership subscription fees); and • games played may only take place on one set of premises games across more than one property will be prohibited.

Re: Gambling Act 2005 This is the current guidlines http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/Gambling_racing/gambling_law_until_sept_2007/fact_poker.htm poker What is poker? Poker is a card game involving chance and skill and is therefore classed as gaming under the Gaming Act 1968. Players bet into a communal pot during the course of a hand, and the player holding the best hand at the end of the betting wins the pot. Where can poker be played? Gaming in Great Britain can take place on a domestic occasion in a private dwelling but not in a public place. Gaming for commercial profit is allowed but only if the operator has a certificate of consent from the Gaming Board and it takes place on licensed premises. Can poker be run in a private members club? Equal chance gaming can take place in a private members club. The club must have a membership of not less than twenty-five and must be formed for the general benefit of its members and not for commercial gain for the proprietor or any such persons. Gaming must not be the principal purpose for which the club is established or conducted. No bankers' games are allowed. Where the club is registered by the licensing authority they can charge members up to a limit of £2 per day. Clubs that have not registered can only charge 60p per day. top Can poker be run for charity or good causes? Equal chance gaming can also be held at entertainments not held for private gain and money can be raised for the club or other organisation on whose behalf the entertainment is promoted. No kind of bankers' games can be played. The whole of the proceeds of the payments received from players must, after deduction sums equivalent to the reasonable cost providing the facilities for the games be applied to purposes other than private gain. Players are allowed to make one payment up to £4, there is no limit on the stakes, but these must all be returned to the winners. Prizes or awards in cash and kind may be made by the promoters up to a maximum of value of £400 in respect of all the games played at any given entertainment. If a series of entertainments are held at the same premises on the same day the overall limits of both charges and prizes remain the same, but where a second or subsequent entertainment of a series is held on a day or days following the first entertainment a charge of up to £4 can be made at each entertainment in the series and, similarly prizes or awards of up to £400 can be distributed at each entertainment in the series. If the series of entertainments is so organised that only players who have played in at least one earlier entertainment in the series, held on a different day, are entitled to take part in the final entertainment, then, for the final entertainment, prizes or awards of up to £700 can be distributed. Last updated 1 October 2004

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a "Members' Club or WM Institute with club gaming permit" and "Commercial Club with club machine permit"?
I'll tell you what I think it means but I'm not certain so don't rely on what I say. If it's important to you to ascertain the facts then I suggest you contact the Gambling Commission. I think a 'Members' Club or WM Institute' is organisation that does not exist for the purpose of making a profit, eg. British Legion, Working Men's club, etc. I think a 'Commercial Club' is an organisation that exists to make profit, eg. Rileys Pool and Snooker.

Re: Gambling Act 2005 From the home page of Gambling Commission website: With effect from 00.01 on Saturday 1 September 2007, all gambling in Great Britain (except spread betting and the National Lottery) becomes subject to the provisions of the Gambling Act 2005. Norn Iron is part of GB. :ok