Spain - Greece

Guest andy99

Guest toshibakid

hmm Heres maybe why SAEZ CALLS FOR FOCUS Spain coach Inaki Saez is determined that the enthralling climax to the domestic season will not take the focus away from the Euro 2004 qualifier against Greece. Many Spanish football fans are dismayed that the most exciting Primera Liga title race in recent memory has been disrupted just as it is coming to the boil. And to make matters worse the clash with Greece in Zaragoza kicks off just three hours after Real Zaragoza's crucial Segunda Liga game in Leganes, which could see them return to the top flight. The prospect of seeing their side win promotion means hoards of Zaragoza fans will travel to the outskirts of Madrid, rather than packing the stands of the 34,500 capacity La Romareda stadium. And the Spanish FA have been forced to hand out free tickets to the thousands of children in order to fill the stadium. However, despite the unfortunate timing, Saez remains convinced his side will receive full support from the crowd. "I think Zaragoza has always been loyal to the national team and they'll continue to be," he said. "We are proud to be here and have full confidence in the Zaragoza public and they'll respond because we are playing to qualify for next summer." Real Madrid defender Ivan Helguera has also played down the invasive influence of the Primera Liga title race, insisting minds are fully focused on the job in hand. He said: "We are thinking about Spain now. I am very excited about playing the European Championships and I want to beat Greece and Ireland. "The national team is the most important thing at the moment." Spain's problems though are not limited to the crowd. Saez has lost Real Madrid midfielder Guti to a badly twisted ankle in a freak training accident on Tuesday and already has Valencia pair Ruben Baraja and David Albelda unavailable through injury and suspension. Real Sociedad's Xavi Alonso is also struggling with a throat infection, but the 21-year-old, who made such an impact in his debut in the 4-0 win against Ecuador at the end of April, should recover to take his place alongside Sergio Gonzalez in midfield. Iker Casillas will start in goal behind a defence consisting of Carlos Puyol and Helguera in the centre, with Michel Salgado and Juanfran as full-backs. Javier de Pedro and Etxeberria will provide width with Juan Carlos Valeron playing an attacking midfield role behind Raul who will operate as a lone striker. Spain currently hold a four-point lead over Greece and the Ukraine at the top of group six and wins over Greece on Saturday and Northern Ireland next Wednesday could see them mathematically qualified for the tournament in neighbouring Portugal, depending on other results No bet for me

Guest deancreus

Re: hmm lol indeed it is :lol Looking for some support from Spanish supporters but this bloke Dimas keeps giving me doubts! Got Evs for ht/ft in the end so heres hoping......

• 4 weeks later...
Guest deancreus

Spain - Greece Any thoughts here? Value isnt great on the home win but HT/FT perhaps...... Spain has a complete squad except only Guti. On the other hand Greece coach Otto Rehagel misses several injured key players. A big advantage for the Spaniards is that the Primera Division is still in play and the players have match practise. The Greek league is already in the summer break and some players would prefer their holidays rather to play against a European top team. Easy home win IMO. 1.76 for HT/FT or 1.78 for OVER if you prefer that.

Guest deancreus

Re: Spain - Greece 1.93 for HT/FT now- either Im missing something or its a good bet Hmmm one reason appears that my info was wrong and a few more Spanish players are out- Xavi, Baraja and Albelda. However Puyol, Helguera, Salgado, Juanfran, De Pedrom Exteberria, Valeron, Raul etc should be enough