Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds?

GaF

Just watched episode 3 of WSOP, with Gavin Smith on the final table.... Gavin Smith is apparently famous for his constant stream of prop bets at the poker table, and he didn't disappoint on this table..... He had an even money prop bet about whether 82s (hearts) was a favourite over 95o (no Hearts)?? It's not even bloody close!!! How do you get to a WSOP final table without knowing that.... To be fair to Gavin Smith, he was on the right side of the bet, but I'm shocked that they even talked about it, let alone bet on it......

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds? I saw him on '£50 says you'll watch this' He bets on anything and everything, a total odd ball from what i saw and says he has made his fortune from crazy bets (including the tit implants :lol)

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds?

Just watched episode 3 of WSOP, with Gavin Smith on the final table.... Gavin Smith is apparently famous for his constant stream of prop bets at the poker table, and he didn't disappoint on this table..... He had an even money prop bet about whether 82s (hearts) was a favourite over 95o (no Hearts)?? It's not even bloody close!!! How do you get to a WSOP final table without knowing that.... To be fair to Gavin Smith, he was on the right side of the bet, but I'm shocked that they even talked about it, let alone bet on it......
The lights, cams and whole final table thing must put you in a little spin :unsure I remember a fine young chap failing to call raise on a bet and im sure that wasnt a final table at the WSOP...Now if only I could remember the chaps name :unsure :lol

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds? Is wasn't Gavin Smith guys. He does make good prop bets regularly. Brian Zembic was the man who bet a friend that he'd get fake implants for a year for $100,000. I believe he kept them for a few more years however as women loved them. He said in an interview that women loved the feel of a cock inside them whilst playing and sucking on his titties!

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds? Maybe the other guy had to pretend to be an ignoramus on internationally syndicated TV because he lost a bet ... ? ;) More seriously, although it's surprising he thought the 82s was favourite, it's not the kind of information that has much practical value when you're playing poker.

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds? Well I don't believe for one minute that the current WSoP champion knows his pot odds to the level that his imitatee(?) Chris Ferguson does. In actual fact I don't believe he knows them to the level of Sarah Ferguson so I would say yes.

Well I don't believe for one minute that the current WSoP champion knows his pot odds to the level that his imitatee(?) Chris Ferguson does. In actual fact I don't believe he knows them to the level of Sarah Ferguson so I would say yes.
thats just wrong IMHO - there is no way that a top class player can consistently win without knowing pot odds Now whether they take them into consideration at a specific time is another matter YMMV of course Damo

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds? what did Puggy Pearson say: to be a sucessful gambler you just need to know the correct end of a 60/40 proposition (or something similar) and by Puggy's own admission, he had no schooling of any worth, but he could figure odds Damo

Re: Can you be a top poker player without knowing the odds? As a mathematician, I ought to be on the side of "knowing the odds", but ... I'm struggling to think of a plausible scenario where it's going to help you to know the odds of two specific junk hands heads up against each other preflop.

As a mathematician, I ought to be on the side of "knowing the odds", but ... I'm struggling to think of a plausible scenario where it's going to help you to know the odds of two specific junk hands heads up against each other preflop.
Unbelievable statement slap... what if jaded and his twin brother are sat at the same table :rollin:rollin