Tennis 16-22 July

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventSimon - Ramirez-Hidalgo
SelectionRamirez-Hidalgo
Strength10/10
Date16/07/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.56 (Back)
ReasoningRamirez has everything it takes to win this one.Both players in just an average form.They played against each other about two months ago and then Ramirez won in two straight sets.Simon not improved his game much from that time so I'm not expecting easy win from him and Ramirez can take it with a bit of luck.He reached semi-final here last year so he is for sure motivated to defend his points.Simon had only one good tournament this year at Marseille.Nothing special really.

Re: Tennis 16-22 July

Sylv's Free Pick:

ATP Los Angeles - Hyung-Taik Lee vs Kevin Kim Head 2 Head: Lee 1-2 Kim Hyung-Taik Lee is a very good all-rounder, who has no problems in playing on hardcourt. So it’s funny to say that he is 0-6 on hardcourt this season. The fact is he is yet to face a player out of Top 60 in this surface in 2007. He had very tough draws in all hardcourt tournaments this season and finally he is playing a hardcourt match this season where he is the clear favourite. He has a nice serve and his return is very well. He is a great mover and he has beaten good players on hardcourt in the past Dmitry Tursunov, Tommy Robredo or Ivan Ljubicic. He is a very consistent baseliner and expect him to return a lot of balls even on a match played on a fast surface like this one. Kevin Kim isn’t in great shape right now. He is currently on a four match losing streak and this will probably be extended tomorrow. Kim has only won an ATP match this season (on January,1st!), having a record of 1-8 so far in 2007. He actually plays a similar game to Lee actually, but the Korean is simply on a better level than the Asian-american. Kim is a good player for challengers, but he can’t play at a good enough level to actually be competitive at this level. Lee had better seasons in the past, but he is actually being unlucky in 2007. Finally he has a good draw and I can’t see him losing tomorrow. Kim used to be a good player at ATP, but he isn’t anymore. The Korean is by far the better player and I would be surprised if he loses tomorrow. Pick: Hyung-Taik Lee to win @1.62 on Betfair

Good Luck 1036316054.gif

Re: Tennis 16-22 July Tennis Pick (WTA Cincinatti)

Sylv’s Free Pick:

WTA Cincinatti - Olga Govortsova vs Alina Jidkova Head 2 Head: Govortsova 1-0 Jidkova Olga Govortsova (rank 107) is a talented 18 years old player that is having her breakthrough in the circuit this season. She began this season out of Top 300, but great performances in all surfaces made her just close to the Top 100. A win tomorrow will make her even closer or already into the Top 100 for the first time in her career, so motivation won’t be a problem for her tomorrow. She has a nice serve and a good amount of weapons that make her a tough player on the baseline. She is pretty consistent and she has already four wins over Top 100 players this season. Easily one of the players to follow in the future. Alina Jidkova (rank 162) is one the few players over 30 years old in the Top 200. She has a nice game for fast surfaces, but she doesn’t have the level that she once had and she ends up struggling a lot in the WTA circuit right now. The only WTA match that she won this season was against a player out of Top 1000 and that shows how much she struggles to beat tough competition right now. She comes from missing one of her main objectives in the season (she failed to qualify for Wimbledon’s main draw) and I don’t know at what point is her confidence affected by her performance in London. Both players can play on hardcourt, but while Govortsova is highly motivated for this match and in good shape, Jidkova is past her prime and she will never return to Top 100 again (she reached the ranking of 51 in 2005). Govortsova easily beated Jidkova this season 7:5 6:0, so I’m going for the young player that is showing that she is easily one of the best 100 players in the world right now.

• Pick: Olga Govortsova to win @1.58 on Bet fair

More in http://andregomes.apostaganha.pt Good Luck

Re: Tennis 16-22 July A Bogdanovic v R Stepanek There's no denying Stepanek has the added class in this matchup. There's also no denying that he probably has the extra resilience that is what has probably been missing from Bogdanovic's game in the past. "Boggo", however, has showed signs of overcoming these problems recently, most notably in his superb showing at Queen's against eventual champion Andy Roddick. He had already beaten top 50 player Hyung Taik Lee and fellow Brit Jamie Baker. He has also made big strides on the Challenger circuit this year, finally breaking his duck in outdoor hard court Challengers, which was previously the weak link (disregarding clay) in Alex's spectrum of surfaces. Stepanek meanwhile, has been on the slide. An incredible purple patch in the first half of last year culminated in a final at the Hamburg Masters Series and a carer high ranking of 8 in the world. However, injury then forced him to miss the second half of the year, with Wimbledon being his last tournament of the year. This year, his results haven't been quite as impressive , with a last 16 showing in Miami and a 3rd round at the Australian Open his best performances to date. I think Stepanek goes into the match as a worthy favourite but I think that Boggo's price here is too large by some margin and I therefore recommend the following: 50 Units on 2-0 Bogdanovic at 13/2 with BlueSq 100 Units on Bogdanovic at 3/1 with SportingOdds

Re: Tennis 16-22 July ATP Amersfoort, Second Round, Robin Haase vs Nicolas Devilder)

Sylv’s Today Free Pick #1

ATP Amersfoort - Robin Haase vs Nicolas Devilder Head 2 Head: Haase 0-0 Devilder Robin Haase (rank 130) is a young talented dutch player that received a wild card to play the main draw in here. He started very well by beating the former Top 10 player Felix Mantilla in the first round by 6:3 6:2 and he must be confident playing on his home town tournament. He will certainly appreciate the support that he’ll receive tomorrow and I’m sure he believes that he has a chance tomorrow. He is 6-5 on clay this season and he has already two victories over Top 100 players this season on clay. Those wins were against Ivo Karlovic and Kristian Pless, two reasonable players on the surface. He has a nice serve and even though he prefers fast surfaces, he is far from being a clay mug and it looks like the courts are playing very fast this year actually. Nicolas Devilder (rank 102) is a good clay courter, but he is yet to show that he can play at a competitive level in ATP tournaments. He is 17-14 on clay this season and most of his wins came in challengers and not on ATP tournaments. His only good performance in the main circuit was in Munich where he reached quarter finals, but with the help of Canas retiring in the first round when Devilder was a set down and the luck of facing the number 266 of the world in the second round of an ATP tournament. When he had to face a real competitor (Tomas Berdych in quarter finals), he got trashed 6:4 6:0. He doesn’t have a good serve and he is the kind of player that can get disturbed with a nasty crowd supporting his local hero. He beated Agustin Calleri in the first round, but the Argentinian is on a big slump and a surprise would be if he actually won a match. There isn’t a big different on these two players in terms of ability to play on clay. So, Haase has the advantage of playing at home and tradition says that Dutch players use to go very well in here (even clay mug Sluiter made the final in here). The courts are playing fast, so Haase will take advantage of his good serve too. With all these factors on his side, it’s hard not to bet on him, especially when he is an underdog. Pick: Robin Haase to win @2.08 on Betfair

Good Luck!

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventErrani - Birnerova
SelectionErrani
Strength10/10
Date18/07/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.48 (Back)
ReasoningI just can't see Birnerova taking anything from this one.She is in awfull form and she is playing against Errani who is playing at home and clay is her favourite surface.This should be easy win.H2H is 1:0 for Errani.

Re: Tennis 16-22 July Boggo bets were void due to injury. I have got a few fancies for today; Hyung-Taik Lee v Wes Moodie This is a battle between two experienced pros both very capable on their day. Moodie is a big serve-volleyer at his best on fast surfaces, as shown by his semi final last week in Newport (grass). Lee is a baseliner with big ground strokes, whose best results have come on hard courts. Surprisingly, given the length of time both have spent on the tour, this is the first time they have met. However, Lee has not quite been at his best this year, going on a couple of bad runs already. He appears to be a confidence player. Last September-October, he made the semis in ATP events in Tokyo and Beijing and won the challenger in Seoul. I believe the tennis he is playing at this time is far from the standard he was playing then. I think at the prices offered, Moodie is in good enough form to take a chance on. 30 Units on Wes Moodie to win at 2.44 (Pinnacle) Ricardo Mello v Michael Berrer Mello was an easy winner for us yesterday, but as noted in my writeup has been in poor form previously. A comfortable win over Phillip King does nothing to restore my confidence in him and I doubt will have a great deal of effect on his own confidence. Berrer, meanwhile has been steady if not spectacular recently. He had a decent enough clay season reaching the final of the Chiasso challenger and the semis in Furth and Karlsruhe, both also challengers. He followed this up with a grass court season that included notable victories over Canas and Guccione and a first round victory at Wimbledon against Albert Montanes. Although none are exceptional grass court players it proves that Berrer is a genuine all court player. His last experiences on a hard court were pretty good too. He last played an outdoor hard court tournament in March, reaching the semis in the Sarajevo challenger. Last year's US hard court season was hardly eyecatching although he did push Baghdatis to a couple of tie breakers and took Nalbandian to 5 sets at the US Open, proving he is still a consistent player on these surfaces. I take Berrer to be far too consistent for Mello and to continue his solid form by winning this match pretty comfortably. 50 Units on Berrer to win at 1.56 (Pinnacle) I think the bookies have priced the other 2 matches tonight fairly accurately with Safin and Kiefer emerging as easy victors in my eyes. Good luck, if you choose to follow we will all be in clover shortly.

Re: Tennis 16-22 July ATP Los Angeles, Second Round

Sylv’s Today Free Pick #3

ATP Los Angeles - Robert Kendrick vs Zack Fleishman Head 2 Head: Kendrick 7-2 Fleishman Robert Kendrick (rank 103) is a pretty good player in fast surfaces. He has a big serve and his net game is also pretty good. He goes very well on the American hardcourt season and he had no problems in beating the qualifier Wesley Whitehouse in the first round in here by 6:4 6:3. He is very experienced and his game is pretty strong and when he’s on, he can cause a lot of problems to anybody in the circuit. He had a nice grass season and now he is ready to attack the hard court season in style. A win tomorrow will make him enter again the Top 100. Zack Fleishamn (rank 162) beated the first seed Fernando Gonzalez in the first round. The fact is that Gonzalez self-destroyed himself and he would have lost to almost anybody yesterday. Fleishman never had big success at ATP level, besides a second round in the Australian Open this season. He isn’t in great shape actually, as recent losses to Reynolds and Simmons on hardcourt in the last months demonstrate that. His game is good for the challenger circuit, but he lacks consistency to do well at ATP level. Kendrick is in nice shape and he is way more used to the ATP level than Fleishman. He clearly leads the head 2 head and he should have way more consistency for his compatriot who has already won his week by beating Gonzalez. Pick: Robert Kendrick to win @1.67 on Betfair

Good Luck

Re: Tennis 16-22 July Four more 2nd round matches to be played today: Zack Fleishman v Robert Kendrick Two Americans with similar games and similar profiles. Both are 27, both were born in California, both have big serves and big forehands, typical american games and both reached career highs this year. Fleishman practically skipped the grass court season, choosing only to compete in Wimbledon qualifiers, which he came through to lose to Tommy Haas in the first round. On reflection, this doesn't represent particularly great form. First round he beat British world number 893 David Brewer before being handed a walkover through the second round. He then beat Federico Luzzi who is essentially a clay courter. Apart from the Haas loss, Fleishman has only played 2 other matches on the main tour this year, making the 2nd round of the Australian Open by beating Augustin Calleri and then going down to Wayne Arthurs. In contrast, Kendrick has played the vast majority of his tennis this year on the main tour, albeith with very little success. He has a 3-13 record in ATP events so far this year before this tournament, although I believe Fleishman is ranked lower than any of the 13 players he has lost to. I believe there are a number of key factors that will swing this match in favour of Kendrick. First off, the added experience of playing main tour tennis this year. Secondly, Kendrick has a superior record to Fleishman when playing challengers and finally Kendrick has an 8-4 lead over Fleishman in the head to heads, including the last 4 meetings, 3 of which were this year. It seems Kendrick holds the indian sign and I think this is a case of one player overshadowing the other in every single department which should result in a win for Kendrick. 50 Units on Kendrick at 1.65 (Pinnacle) Dimitry Tursonov v Vince Spadea I don't rate Vince much anymore (apart from maybe as a rapper). I think he has become very much a journeyman. Whilst he is still capable of picking up the odd decent result on home soil, I would never risk any amount of money on him beating a decent player at anything other than very good odds. Tursonov, on the other hand, is more than capable of ripping someone like Spadea to pieces. Last year he made the final here in Los Angeles and followed it up with a semi in Washington. He will be desperate to defend these points and I think a focused Tursonov will be way way too good here. If Tursonov blows up like he can every now and then and Spadea has one of his rare going days, this could be a three setter. Otherwise, Tursonov wins in two. I think 10/11 is a good price on by far the most likely outcome. 30 Units on 2-0 Tursonov at 1.91 Radek Stepanek v Mardy Fish Readers of thes tips will know that I opposed Stepanek earlier in the week, when his opponent Alex Bogdanovic retired. Upon first looking at this matchup, I decided that Stepanek was however a slight favourite due to Mardy Fish's recent form, which is indifferent at best. The odds made Stepanek a slightly stronger favourite than I thought he should be, so I believe there is no value in backing him. I also wouldn't be too confident about placing any cash on Fish with him in his current slump. On this occassion, I feel the pricing is very tight and this match is a no bet. Paul Goldstein v James Blake I have much admiration for Paul Goldstein. To be a top 50 doubles player, playing doubles almost every week on the tour whilst at the same time maintaining a top 100 singles ranking is not easily achieved. At the same time, I no longer rate him as someone who you would necessarily look to for a big upset against a top player. James Blake, however, is going through a torrid time by his usual high standards. During the earlier spell this year on these US hard courts, his favourite surface, he suffered defeats to Malisse, Karlovic, Korolev, Benneteau and Serra. He made the final in Delray Beach, but after that failed to win more than one match in a tournament. Things improved a little with a semi final showing on the green clay of Houston, although none of the wins were particularly notable. He went on to pick up 3 wins over the entire clay court season, then reached the quarters on the grass in Halle and the 3rd round of Wimbledon, where he lost to an inspired Juan Carlos Ferrero, although Blake was very poor in that match. Blake now returns to the US hard courts, probably no more confident than after that bad patch on the surface earlier in the year. No doubt the return to this surface will give Blake some sort of boost, but I feel if Goldstein can get on top early, he may be able to give Blake a bit of trouble. 20 Units on Goldstein to win the first set at 7/2 (Stan James) 20 Units on Blake to win 2-1 at 7/2 (Stan James) 10 Units on Goldstein to win 2-0 at 14/1 (SkyBet)

Re: Tennis 16-22 July Yeah well done Andre, was posting with you in the other thread when you was having some good tips on there. Call me voyereristic, but I have been watching you :D lol and to be honest you have been on a very good run of results backed up by some strong and lengthy write-ups. But, seriously well done mate, I don't think you have predicted wrongly since Bogdanovic against Udomchoke, which is some feat. But, I might have to slightly disagree with your Zack Fleishman v Robert Kendrick prediction. Without hearing the other days result where Fleishman upset Gonzalez I would have strongly agreed, but surely if he can find that form and use some of the confidence gained in that win he can beat Kendrick? Anways good luck. My run has been so bad recently who am I to disagree:spank .

Re: Tennis 16-22 July Onto the quarters in LA. Four fairly warm favourites tonight. Time to try and work out which should be opposed: James Blake v Vince Spadea Blake is installed as a fairly strong favourite here. Last night, he managed to avoid an upset against Paul Goldstien. It was less than convincing though, with Blake even having to save a match point before coming through 7-5 in the third. Spadea, on the other hand, picked up a superb win in three sets over Dimitry Tursonov which I really didn't see coming. I won't go into too much about the players as I've covered them both in previous previews. Suffice to say that I'm still not convinced Blake is playing even top 50 tennis, never mind the top 10 tennis he played last year. On this basis, I think anything over 2/1 on Spadea is plenty of value, especially if he plays as he did last night against Tursonov. 40 Units on Spadea at 9/4 (Coral) Marat Safin v Hyung-Taik Lee Earlier in the week, I tipped Wes Moodie to beat Lee in a match that Moodie ended up having to retire injured. I'm sure everyone is aware of Safin's reputation as a bit of a headcase. Due to this, many people are wary of putting any money down on him. I'm not one of those people. I think that the players Safin tends to struggle against are players with lots of variation in their games. Lee isn't one of those. I think in tonight's match Lee's style of play will allow Safin to get into a good hitting rhythm from the back of the court, and when that happens there's not many players on the tour that can challenge him. There was a point last year where the tennis Lee was playing would have been good enough to give Safin problems, but his recent form doesn't suggest that will be the case today. He has beaten very little to get here so far, and I predict a very easy straight sets win for Safin at a standout odds against price. 60 on 2-0 Safin at 11/10 (SkyBet) Nicolas Kiefer v Michael Berrer Before Kiefer's injury, he was one of my favourite players on the tour and one of the most consistent performers to back. As a result, he was often a very good and reliable bet. However, I have tried to avoid betting on matches involving Kiefer since his return from injury. He missed nearly a full year of tennis and as such, I presumed he would be difficult to predict for his first couple of months back on the tour and as expected, he has been a little incosistent. There was no shame in a first round defeat to Thomas Berdych in Halle, which was followed by a good run to the third round of Wimbledon, ended by Novak Djokovic in five sets. However, he followed this up with another first round defeat, this time to Paul Capdeville in Newport. This week has seen further progress for Kiefer, with easy straight set wins over Gabashvilli and Kunitsyn proving he is slowly regaining match fitness and with it a deal of consistency. As I stated the other day, I think Michael Berrer is a consistent all court player capable of beating substandard players at this level on any surface. Kiefer, however, is not one of those and should be able to once again win in straight sets today. Due to the uncertainty surrounding Kiefer's fitness, I won't go over the top on the stakes, but I think those problems look to be behind him for now and he can go on and regain his status as a premier player on the tour. 30 on 2-0 Kiefer at 8/11 (generally available) Radek Stepanek v Zack Fleishman Stepanek last night picked up a very easy win over Mardy Fish, suggesting he could well be flying in top gear at this stage of the tournament. Fleishman is having one of the best weeks of his entire career, beating world number 6 Fernando Gonzalez in the first round and followed up by beating Robert Kendrick, who he had lost his last 4 meetings against. I think it's fair to say that these are 2 players in great form, and you would expect Stepanek to have the major edge in class and the vast experience of playing at this level in comparison to Fleishman. I genuinely can't see Fleishman being able to win this match, but he has already shown his liking for causing upsets this week and there's every chance this one might get close. It's genuinely tough to call and at the prices, this is a no bet.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventMirza - Govortsova
SelectionGovortsova
Strength10/10
Date20/07/2007
Bookmaker/PriceBetway @ 3.00 (Back)
ReasoningGovortsova is young talented player and she is in really good form at the moment.She was mainly playing in challengers but now she is making her first steps in WTA.For me Govortsova is underestimated here and she can cause a real trouble to Mirza who is in not that great form.
Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventPennetta - Muller
SelectionPennetta
Strength10/10
Date20/07/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.47 (Back)
ReasoningMuller is nothing special really and even though she defeated her previous opponents I don't believe that she can make an upset here.She was playing against rather poor players at Palermo.Pennetta is playing better every week and she is getting back to good form after her wrist injury.She should have no problems here.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventSerra - Haase
SelectionHaase
Strength10/10
Date20/07/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.62 (Back)
ReasoningI don't really get these odds.Serra is just an average player who is achieving 2nd round max in almost every tournament.Last week he was easily defeated by Vanek and this week he won over Davydenko(Nikolay is doing weird things lately :)) and then he had big problems against de Bakker who in my eyes is worse player than Haase.Haase is young talented player and he is playing at home soil.He can make a surprise here.H2H is 1:0 for Haase.

Re: Tennis 16-22 July Just thought I would quickly draw everyones attention to Radek Stepanek who was ranked inside the Top 20 at the start of the year and has actually in recent months dropped to a lowly 127th. I have been opposing him the last couple of weeks due to this, but he has actually been on a charge recently, trying to regain some respectability in the rankings - mabey he was injured to fall this low and now he is fully fit he is once again becoming a good performer im not sure? He is now ranked 101st in the world and in his last 2 tournaments (Gstaad and now at the Countrywide Classic) he has reached the semis finals in both and has a shot at getting to the final for the countrywide classic. He might be someone to look out for in the next tournament if he gets a favourable draw - a good E/w fancy.

Re: Tennis 16-22 July J Blake - R Stepanek Pick: J Blake Stake: 8/10 Odds: 1.55 Bookmaker: Expekt Blake once again proved that he is playing much better at his home ground, in North America. He had tough match against H. T. Lee in the semifinals and after great fight he deserved the place in the finals. Stepanek got him self a place in the final after Kiefer withdraw from the semi finals after an injury. Also he haven’t most a single set so far, against Bogdanovic (Bogdanovic retired after losing the first set 6:1) against Fish 6:2 6:2, Fleishman 6:4 6:2. These players played against each other 4 times and Blake won last 3 of them. All 3 victories were on hard court and the only win that Stepanek has in these mutual matches is on clay. I think that Stepanek will give hard time to Blake, but when Blake is playing in North America, he is playing completely different. He has huge support from the crowd and he is giving 100% in every point. I expect him to win this tournament and although Stepanek is not playing bad at all, Blake is dominating in mutual matches on hard court and this is great opportunity to start US/Canada season with a win.