Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5

Wednesday 9 May 2007
HomeTieAwaysp.gifBPP
Russia v Czech Republic (13:15 BST)1.605.604.70102% Related markets...Money LineMatch ResultPuck LineTotal Goals- - -First Goalscorer1st Period Money Line1st Period Over/Under1st Period ResultCorrect ScoreFirst Goal TimeFirst Scoring Team WinsFirst Team to ScoreFirst to 3 goalsHandicap ResultHighest Scoring PeriodLast Team to ScoreOdd or Even Total
Sweden v Slovak Republic (17:15 BST)1.984.603.50101% Related markets...Money LineMatch ResultPuck LineTotal Goals- - -First Goalscorer1st Period Money Line1st Period Over/Under1st Period ResultCorrect ScoreFirst Goal TimeFirst Scoring Team WinsFirst Team to ScoreFirst to 3 goalsHandicap ResultHighest Scoring PeriodLast Team to ScoreOdd or Even Total
Thursday 10 May 2007
HomeTieAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">sp.gifBPP
Canada v Switzerland (13:15 BST)1.189.5015.00102% Related markets...Money LineMatch ResultPuck Line- - -Total Goals1st Period Money Line1st Period Over/Under1st Period ResultCorrect ScoreFirst Goal TimeFirst Scoring Team WinsFirst Team to ScoreFirst to 3 goalsHandicap ResultHighest Scoring PeriodLast Team to ScoreOdd or Even Total
USA v Finland (17:15 BST)2.864.502.16104% Related markets...Money LineMatch ResultPuck Line- - -Total Goals1st Period Money Line1st Period Over/Under1st Period ResultCorrect ScoreFirst Goal TimeFirst Scoring Team WinsFirst Team to ScoreFirst to 3 goalsHandicap ResultHighest Scoring PeriodLast Team to ScoreOdd or Even Total

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Russia - Czech Republic over 5.5 goals @ 1.99 (Pinnacle) Russia have great attacking power, but also allows quite a few goals, previous matches vs teams that can be compared to Czech Republic have ended 4-2 (Sweden) and 5-4 (Finland). Czech Republic also with some good attacking, but their goaltending not great, Chechmanek's saving now 89.86%, not good enough imo. Czech Republic's previous matches vs similar opponants: Canada 3-4, Slovakia 2-3 and USA 4-3. I don't think that this will change much in the qf's, last WC's qf between these two ended Czech Republic win 4-3 after o.t. Russia will, the way I see it, win this match, but almost evens for over my best bet for this one.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 I like both favs tomorrow. Russia to win in regulation @ 1.6 looks good enough, although my main bet (not available on-line) will be Morozov to score @ 2.6. The thing is the books are still rating OVechkin much higher, although not scoring. Morozov is a proven scorer, leading scorer of the WC and I can see the price as a bit too high. Historically, the Russia v CR matches are rather low-scoring, but agree about Cechmanek - how he got the best player award by Czech TV for the second stage is just beyond me. OVerall, this year's Czech team is very light-weight and bar the final period vs. the Slovaks and first and final 10 minutes vs. Canada, they showed nothing. Especially second periods have been time offs for them. It would be hard work to beat Russia at home ice even with a stronger roster, but the way things look, it's nigh on impossible.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 I'm on GG:s over. Have nothing to add really. I will also try Slovakia dnb at 2.60 Bet365. Definite value here imo. I don't think Sweden has been that impressive. Sweden has probably been more impressive than Slovakia so far, but there's still value here. Slovakia has some skilled players from NHL like Hossa, Demitra, Gaborik, Chara. Sweden has none. Sweden is still a very well built team and they should be favourites here but 1.90 is a joke imo. Most bookies are down to about 1.80 which is totally unplayable imo. Value in Slovakia and therefore my money will end up on them.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Russia to win -1.5 (2.00 @ Bet365) Russia to win third period (2.00 @ 10bet) Alexei Morozov to score (1.85 @ Centrebet) These matches will be very hard to bet on. I'm staying away from under/over market. The more important the match is in this WC, the more likely it is to stay 'under'. I'm inclined to 'over 5.5' also, but I'm warned by this tendency. Russian fire squad is more than ready. Only Italy managed to stop Kazan's forward trio by creating a tight box in front of goal. I wouldn't be surprised if Czech R. try something similar. They will probably be oriented more on defence and wait for the PP. PP is the Czech's strongest attacking power, as they have scored nearly a half of their goals in PP (11 out of 23) and their PP efficiency is respectable (11 out of 38, or 29%). The main problem is in the fact that Russians are very disciplined and they don't get much penalties. They got only 27 2min penalties so far. Only Russia and Slovakia are below 30 penalties. So, it will be very hard for Czech R. to score. Russians, on the other hand, are scoring from all positions and they don't need PP to score. They have scored 2/3 of their goals in EQ. Although Czech R. will try to be as destructive for Russia's attack formation as possible, they won't be able to control the pace of the match. Russian team is skating really fast and they have a variety of excellent forwards. I agree with Tulenos on 'Morozov to score'. He has 8 goals and 5 assists so far. He has scored 4 PP goals (out of Russia's 11 PP goals). And he's efficency is amazing: over 53%. He is most likely to score in the Russian team. Russia is favorite to win in any period, but I think it's more likely to be in the last. Czech R. will, hopefully, be tired by then and it will leave more chances for Russia to score. Russia won't calculate at any moment and they will play with maximum power for the whole 60 minutes. Another important moment in this match will be the attendance. The Czechs played their matches in front of 3000-4000 people. It will be 14000 people attending today's match. They will create an extra pressure.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Russia - Czech Rep. Today, 14:15 Ice Hockey - International Pick: Over 5.5 Stake: 4/10 Odds: 1.96 Bookmaker: Pinnacle Very interesting game and very tricky odds on this one. I wouldn't touch straight win of any team, Russia looks better on paper, but they've already showed that they have their weaknesses. In game against Suiss (which has bad attack) they conceded way too much, against Sweden it was more obvious that they can be beaten (Sweden was in the game until fourth goal), against Italy they showed that they have problems with the teams that are defending all the time etc. Czechs on the other side are oscilating more then i would like them, they had high wins in first group stage, then they had big problems in second part of the tournament and i can't say how will they react to the PO game. But, what i've noticed, they allow too many goals against strong offensive teams, but they are also able to score a lot. From the tournament begining i'm writing that refreeing fits offensive teams more, there are a lot of PP and i hope it will continue today. This is first real test for Russia that looks really strong in attack, Czech R. doesn't fit them at all (really bad H2H for Russian team), but as Russia isn't so strong in defence they have to amend that in attack. I see a game with lots of goals no matter that this match is very important to both of the teams... Small stake Sweden - Slovakia Today, 18:15 Ice Hockey - International Pick: Under 5.5 Stake: 3/10 Odds: 2.15 Bookmaker: 5dimes This should be interesting. I must admit that i expected more from Slovakian team, but as they are slow starters i think they will start to play now in knock-out phase. On paper their team looks better to me and i was thinking about Slovakia DNB, but Sweden so far was one of the most impressive teams and i can't go against them just like that. They are masters of defence if they want to, and as they showed in games against Russia and Finland they will play like that if the have to. They play hockey like italian style in football, but they are also strong in attack and this match could go either way. Still, this odds are way too high if we count match importance and Sweden style of play when they face strong teams. Slovakia also showed that they can play on result, in first match against Norway (they took it on routine, even without few NHLers), same goes for their crucial game against Czech R. Under here for me.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Really thought that Czech Republic would at least score one goal...:( Sweden - Slovakia Slovakia dnb @ 2.60 (Bet365) and under 5.5 goals @ 1.80 (Fonbet) Sweden are small favourites in my opinion, but these odds are really not related to these teams strength, Slovakia can win this one, it would not be a huge surprise at all, they have some very skilled players who don't need much space to score, if Sweden let their focus slip for only a few secs they might be punished right away. Anyway, I can't back Sweden at the price given now, and 2.60 for Slovakia the only possible bet along with under, I totally agree with Scythe's great reasoning for that one, Sweden will be defensive minded but counterattack at every given opportunity.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 It started great for me. Too bad Morozov didn't score, but I'm not complaining. Sweden to win -1.5 (2.40 @ Centrebet) Maybe Sweden isn't that strong as ther results would suggest. Maybe Slovakia did hold back their attacking options. Maybe this will be more even-sided match than Russia - Czech R. was. Maybe. I'm going to stick to the things excluding those unknowns. Sweden's performance was much better than Slovakia's so far. They did lose fair and square in their last match against Russia, but their motivation was questionable. Slovakia barely won against Belarus and they played a great match against Czech R. before that. But, this will be completly different opponent than Czechs were. Czech R. is not a team that will try to overwhelm their opponents by strenght and constant pressure. But Sweden is. Czechs had only 7 SOG in 1st period and 3 in 2nd period. Sweden will attack much more furiously. When comparing teams that remained in competition, only Switzerland has less SOG than Slovakia. They'll need to attack more against Sweden. On the other hand, Sweden saved 93% of shots on their goal. Slovakia doesn't commit a lot of penalties, but they are not that great in penalty killing. Sweden's penalty killing is remarkable: over 92%. Their PP is also good: 33%. I admit, there are things that a person can't decide purely on statistics, but in this case stats are favoring Sweden a lot. Numbers aside, I expect Slovakia to come strong in the first 10 minutes, but Swedish team is a hard nut to break. Once Slovakia's attacks stop, Swedish strenght and execution will prevail.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 CBG: Not a bad pick either, backing wins with more than one goal margin often useful in playoffs. Agree about many angles pointing towards a win for Sweden.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5

What a lovely day:clap :clap :clap :clap Sorry for your loss, guys. Over/under market was really crazy today.
Congrats on your Sweden hcp, CBG, good one! I'm hoping for my 80% interest tomorrow...not at all nervous :unsure

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Finland (incl. ot/so) @ 1.78 (Pinnacle) I rate Finland as pretty strong favourites to win this quarterfinal, from what iv'e seen they are a better team than USA this tournament, Finland look very solid in the defence, have great goalkeepers but maybe a bit weaker in the attack. USA started well, but in the match vs Canada their weak spots showed pretty well, and I doubt that they can handle Finland's speed and really controlled way of playing all over the ice. Canada -2.5 @ 1.85 (Sportingodds) Imo this tournament have shown the diffrence between the good teams and the not so good teams more and more from every stage. Prvieous quarterfinals ended Russia winning 4-0 and Sweden 7-4, and that vs teams far better than Switzerland in my opinion. I don't think Switzerland's got what it takes to stop Canada, they looked very lame vs Sweden, 0-6 and Russia, 3-6. They managed to only loose 0-2 vs Finland, but that was more a case of an uninspired Finland team the way I see it. Canada to win this one easy my bet.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 E. Staal to score @ 2.3 (local book). Nash @ odds on doesn't apeal much, E Staal is the second fav and will do his best to find the net and prove he can contest here. Agree with Can 'cap pick too. Not touching the US v Fin match-up, which should be as even as you get;)

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 After a profitable day, I'm going to try a different approach in today's matches. I'm not going to bet on Canada - Switzerland match. I already have Canada's win in double with Russia (at 1.72) and I expect to gain a profit from this match. I really can't predict the development of this match. Switzerland could hold a draw after the first period and if they survive first half of the 2nd period, this could be a tigh match. On the other hand, Canada's attacks could be overwhelming in the first period and Suiss won't be able to stay within +2.5 handicap afterall. Or they can play a draw after first and then Canada score 4 in the second. Or... I see too many possible outcomes in this match and all those possibilties are not covered by appropriate odds. So, I'm not going to risk anything here, but instead risk in the other match with significantly larger odds: USA - Finland Draw (4.25 @ Centrebet) USA was a somewhat better team in this WC and judging by those performances, they could be regarded as favorites in this match. But they are playing against Finland, their hoo-doo team. USA so seldomly wins against Finland, that it makes me believe that Finns will reach the semis afterall. Both teams are great in penalty killing: USA allowed only 2 and Finnland only 4 goals while defending PP. They also have awsome goalkeeping percentage: Finland 94% and USA 90%. There won't be any easy goals today. Finns have set their eyes on the target: they are playing to win WC. They were very goal oriented in Preliminary round, while playing against Ukraine and Denmark and they were very physichal in those matches. After the loss against Russia, they have changed their tactics: even more accent on the defence and even more body-on-body play. Nobody was sure of USA rooster capabilities. But they performed well. When they lost to Czech R. it seemed that their winning days were over, but in next matches they won against Slovakia and Germany, easier than expected. Judging by their last matches, Finland is favorite. They were better on ice than Sweden, but they were unable to create a constant pressure and lost 0:1. USA lost to Canada 3:6 and had a devastating first period (0:4). They were definitely not ready for that match. Both teams had enough time to rest befor this match. They won't take any risks today. Finland will build a high wall around the goal and they will clear anything (or anyone) that gets infront of goal. They won't wait for counter attacks, like Czechs did yesterday, but instead seize any opportunity for forming a strong attacking formation. USA's defence won't be as naive as it was against Canada. They do have same skating skills as fast Finns forwards. USA will take a shot from any position and they have a lot of clinical strikers. They have scored 24 goals by 12 different goalscorers. This will be a very tight match and both teams will have their periods of domination. They won't risk anything in defence and there won't be easy goals in this match. I'll risk a medium stakes on the draw (excl. OT). I was browsing through the statistics of previous WCs and I've found an interesting detail. In last 6 WCs, only in 2002. there wern't any OTs in 1/4-finals. As I expect Canada to win before OT and both of yesterday's matches ended in regular time, there is only one chance for a draw in these 1/4-finals.

Canada -2.5 @ 1.85 (Sportingodds) Imo this tournament have shown the diffrence between the good teams and the not so good teams more and more from every stage. Prvieous quarterfinals ended Russia winning 4-0 and Sweden 7-4, and that vs teams far better than Switzerland in my opinion. I don't think Switzerland's got what it takes to stop Canada, they looked very lame vs Sweden, 0-6 and Russia, 3-6. They managed to only loose 0-2 vs Finland, but that was more a case of an uninspired Finland team the way I see it. Canada to win this one easy my bet.
Canada won 5:1. Well done mate:clap Penalties killed Switzerland. The deciding moment was in 2nd period when Canada scored for 3:1 in PP2. Great defending by Hiller on Switzerland's goal kept them alive for 45 minutes. Canada will play Sweden in the semis. That should be a treat to watch. We'll see a lot of fightings in the corners and a lot of body-checking in that match.

Canada won 5:1. Well done mate:clap Penalties killed Switzerland. The deciding moment was in 2nd period when Canada scored for 3:1 in PP2. Great defending by Hiller on Switzerland's goal kept them alive for 45 minutes. Canada will play Sweden in the semis. That should be a treat to watch. We'll see a lot of fightings in the corners and a lot of body-checking in that match.
Tnx, CBG, now that was two hours of pure nervousness...but now all joy ! :cheers

USA - Finland Draw (4.25 @ Centrebet)
I almost got a heart attack, but they went to OT:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap Those two days were just awesome for my bets in WC. I missed only 'Morozov to score'. Great two days. Just great. It's overwhelming.

Finland (incl. ot/so) @ 1.78 Canada -2.5 @ 1.85
Great pick CBG ! :D Im happy about my day too, well needed profit...the safe way of including ot and so payed off today. Looking forward to the semis, Russia and Canada seems to be the public opinion.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Some great picks in this thread. My "to score" picks didn't show any profit, though, but generally it was a good round. Come the semis where I expect Russia and Canada to prevail. Bets will depend on the prices.;)

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Russia -1.5 only 1.90 at Bet365 (Pinnacle has got them at 2.08). Over 5.5 at 2.00 is not bad. Both Canada and Sweden are above evens. I have no idea about that match. I'm thinking of "team that scores first won't win" bet. Odds could be good on that. And both of those teams can't stand connstant pressure. So, when one team takes the lead, it will be hard for them to keep that advantage.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Russia v Finland - H2H record reads 4-2 and in two of those four wins Russia didn't cover the handicap, namely in the first game @ this WC. As the games between these two tend to be close, I'd rather go for Finland +1.5 @ evs+ (if available). It's a kinda derby match as well, at least there is some bitter rivalry between the two.;)

Russia v Finland - H2H record reads 4-2 and in two of those four wins Russia didn't cover the handicap' date=' namely in the first game @ this WC. As the games between these two tend to be close, I'd rather go for Finland +1.5 @ evs+ (if available). It's a kinda derby match as well, at least there is some bitter rivalry between the two.;)[/quote'] I don't think that previous h2h's this season are important at all, as both Finland and Russia have changed their rosters a lot compared to tournaments like Karjala Cup etc. In the 5-4 match this tournament Russia were up 4-1, and would have sailed towards an easy win if they would have stayed focused, which I think they'll do in a semifinal. Finland played really sloppy defence today, Russia would have punished them in a way that USA could not, simple as that. Finland's main derby is vs Sweden, but they do love beating Russia too, but that angle is not very important either imo, it's a semifinal, they will be motivated enough, derby or not. Around evens for Russia -1.5 looks ok to me.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 I have to agree with G:G on this one. It takes 60 minutes of creating a constant pressure and not making any mistakes to beat Russia. And Finns don't have that. In the first match they managed to create that pressure for first 10 minutes in the third period. Everything else were just glimpses of stellar performance. It won't be enough to beat Russia. Finland made a lot of mistakes today and Russia is much harsher executor than USA. I'll wait for all ods to be declared, but I'm thinking now of backing Russia with -2.5. Well, at least for now. Tomorrow I might have completly different opinion. I'll sleep on it.

Re: Hockey World Championships 9 - 10/5 Still I'm not that sure it will be plain sailing for the Russians. If you watched the Rus v CR game, you had to see at least two, if not three, of the goals were simply gifted to the Russians. Add to this that after conceding the third, the Czech really gave up and never threatened - in fact they played only until conceding a very soft second goal. Not sure the Finns are that bad. for the time being I can see the Finns on handicap as a good pick but will sleep on it as well;) BTW, the quoted H2Hs are not from this season only, but over last two or three seasons.

Still I'm not that sure it will be plain sailing for the Russians. If you watched the Rus v CR game, you had to see at least two, if not three, of the goals were simply gifted to the Russians. Add to this that after conceding the third, the Czech really gave up and never threatened - in fact they played only until conceding a very soft second goal. Not sure the Finns are that bad. for the time being I can see the Finns on handicap as a good pick but will sleep on it as well;) BTW, the quoted H2Hs are not from this season only, but over last two or three seasons.
Nope, not sure at all, and agree about Russia vs CR match, thing is though, if Finland performs the same way vs Russia as vs USA, they'll give away a coupe of goals too. Finland's a good team, no doubt, but I'm not backing them with hcp anyway, thats my picture after the qf's. Ok, h2h's usually close, but I still don't think that's very important, the teams are so very different each tournament, I'll only use this tournament as comparision. Nice to find ya in this thread Tulenos, your views most welcome :)