small blind

step1

Re: small blind Certainly you should play a wider set of starting hands in that position but there are numerous circumstances when I would fold in that situation e.g. if the BB has been playing agressively and is the chip leader, and my cards are pretty poor. In that situation you should look to play the person more than play your cards. If you think you have a read on that player then you'll know how to play the hand.

Re: small blind

probably an obvious answer but is it always correct to not fold from small blind pre flop when everyone has folded to you?
No no not at all! A lot of players will fold the SB if they feel their hand isn't worth a look at the flop. ie If it folds around to me & i have 8-3 or any other rags in the small blind i can happily throw them away. The main reasoning behind calling the SB being "right" is the fact that you are getting 3/1 pot odds to have a look at the flop (about 6/1 when we start using antes). So if your hand is bigger than a 25% underdog vs. a random hand, you're getting pot odds to call. The type of player in the BB is a factor too however. If he's been a loose maniac betting/raising everything you dont want to be calling the SB too often without premium cards, you'll want to be patient and wait for a hand to trap him with. However if the player has been tight throughout the game you might want to raise it up and nick some blinds :D Another thing to consider is the cost of the SB in relation to your stack. If you have less than 20xBB left then you cant really afford to continue calling with rags everytime, whereas if you had >100xBB you can happily take a gamble, call & hope to hit a flop. You may also consider the time left in the current blind level. If the blinds are high in relation to your stack & the blind level is going up soon then you may want to consider tightening up more. Otherwise you'll end up putting in this SB + the BB/SB at a higher rate soon which may cripple your stack.

Re: small blind Depends what stage in the tourney you are and what cards you hold. ie:- early when blinds are 15 -30 then what's the point in defending 15 when you have large stack anyway, also your first to act so that's another minus. Of course if you have the cards then yeah...

Re: small blind I can live with a fold or a raise, but hate a call!!! 9 times out of 10 when I'm on the BB and everyone folds to the SB who calls, then I will raise with any 2 cards - 9 times out of 10 the SB folds!!! Whether I raise or fold depends partly on my view of the BB and partly on the strength of my cards.......

9 times out of 10 when I'm on the BB and everyone folds to the SB who calls, then I will raise with any 2 cards - 9 times out of 10 the SB folds!!!
[NOTE TO SELF: call-raise bluff GaF next time it's folded to you in the SB and he's in the BB] :D

Re: small blind I'd probably flat call with a very good hand in the SB, hoping for the re-raise. However this point (i believe ) is mentioned in Harrington on Hold'em Volume 2 - when he is discussing Heads Up play - in as much that he says you should never fold from the SB (Heads UP) as you are getting such good odds to call. I think he says that the only time you should consider folding is when up against a hyper aggressive player -as mentioned above. So the above being the case then the fact that there are only 2 of you left when you play Blind on Blind means the same should (in theory apply) - but there are other factors that come into play, in early tournment play -such as table image, and the minimal reward factor when the blinds are so small (as mentioned in the excellent posts above)

However this point (i believe ) is mentioned in Harrington on Hold'em Volume 2 - when he is discussing Heads Up play - in as much that he says you should never fold from the SB (Heads UP) as you are getting such good odds to call. I think he says that the only time you should consider folding is when up against a hyper aggressive player -as mentioned above. So the above being the case then the fact that there are only 2 of you left when you play Blind on Blind means the same should (in theory apply)
There's an important difference. Heads up, the SB is last to act every round after the flop. But here he isn't. That's a big difference.

There's an important difference. Heads up, the SB is last to act every round after the flop. But here he isn't. That's a big difference.
Nicely pointed out, that one slipped right by me. I do however like being OOP when i call planning to trap a player. He only gets to see weakness (call - check) before its his turn to act. :nana:nana:nana