BetonBet European Leaderboard - April

GaF

New one starting at 18:00 BST today :ok (missing from the diary I'm afraid - will be in after today :ok) Anyone been tempted to enter following the efforts and moFace last month? It's a $10+$1 buy in with $10+$0 rebuy's for the first hour followed by the option of a $10+$0 add on. Each event gets between low twenties and mid thirties in entries. Play is extremely loose, aggressive and BAD!! There is a lot of dead money!! In addition, each game has a $1300 guarantee, which isn't met, so there is an overlay. Playing in all games over the month(Sunday to Thursday every week) I believe I have about an 80% chance of finishing in the top 10, and qualifying for the $5000 STT. THis is in addition to the profit I expect to make from the MTT's in their own right. Overall I estimate that playing in this tournament has a positive ev for me of about $1000 over the month .... tempted? I typically buy in, and rebuy straight away after my first blind (to start with 3000 chips). If at the break I have below average chip stack (usually I do) then I will add on. Typically entry therefore costs me $30 and I will play TAG (though I wont be scared to stand my ground on a few occasions, and entry has cost me up to $70). The leaderboard scoring is very similar to what we use (i.e. a logarythmic scale - providing points to everyone, but rising sharply at the top!!) So - who's in?

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April Nice one Run :ok Just a reminder - ALL scores count ..... so keep remembering ... getting into the top 10 is as much about commitment, perserverence, discipline, patience etc as it is about Poker!!!!! The play IS bad .... so pick your spots :ok

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April 11th The immediate bad news was I took GaF's advice to mean there would be some loose play so I took a chance with my very first hand KTos, called an all-in and faced AKos ! So one hand gone and I've had to rebuy already. The immediate good news was that my fellow players took me for a fool for the next half hour before settling down again so that I was sitting in 4th place overall at the first break - the only one on my table not to add-on. Will probably play again but if only top 3 get paid each time I may not keep it up for long. :ok

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April I'm sure you know avon's dig was at me GaF not you. I won't be throwing money at this (unlike yesterday's runner-up who rebought at least a dozen times in the first hour before a few hands started working for him). Nearly everything came off for me yesterday so that it only cost me the original $11. Today I think I just assumed it would again and lost sight of the ball a bit. I aim to be back on target tomorrow ! oh, and thanks for the encouragement GaF :notworthy :ok

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April Hehe - not taken as criticism at all, a fair point (to us both).... The gist of what I said (and Avon might criticise me for this :tongue2) ..... I think it's a mistake to treat the game as a $10 freezeout ..... IMO to get value from this, you need to budget something like $30-$50 per game (start with 3000 chips, and most of the time add on) ..... works out at about $800 over the month .... but should all but guarantee a seat at the $5000 STT (so $500 value) ... it only takes one 3rd place over the month and you almost break even (assuming you get value from the STT over time) anything more than one third place (which you should get) is profit....

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April

ffs - just typed out a long reply ... but didn't copy to the clipboard and got the "this page cannot be displayed"
Yep, that's what happened to me on the Paradise thread, except mine came back. I'm sure you will both do well in this, and as run's typical game is either out first or out last hopefully we are not looking at a regular 100 point score to get there, otherwise next year's charity freeroll fund might be a bit light. ;)

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April Nice one mate :ok Higher entry than normal, so will be a smaller overlay, but should still be an overlay :ok Not runadrums night tonight ... saw him rebuy once, but not a second time!!!!

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April Hi GaF Good Luck in this league but I shall not be playing it again so please remove me from your leaderboard. I did not play my hands well tonight but the problem for me is you have got guys happy to rebuy 10 times if necessary and those who have previously finished in the money and are happy to reinvest those funds. When I end up folding A 10 to an all-in (fair enough) to discover the all-in was with J high called by K high it affects the rest of my play. I raise 6 times the BB with Tens but it's not enough to get last night's winner to fold his Q7os, ready for the Q on the flop. Basically the tourney might be value but it's not value for me so I resign ! :ok

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April Sorry to hear that mate :sad It's funny - I see people going all in with little and rub my hands in glee - I think it adds to the value!!!! The worse my opponents, the greater my edge..... you just need to make sure you adjust your own play to best counteract the way they are playing..... The way they play does make it very tough to get in the money on any individual night, but IMO it all but guarantees a profit over a period of time (though as I said before, I am a little dubious of the strategy of treating it as a $10 freezeout :unsure)

Re: BetonBet European Leaderboard - April I think basically the value remains what is there from the start, I have not noticed the rebuys affecting the prize pool but they affect my play. I don't play rebuys for the reason I don't play cash - I'm not interested in trying to read how deep my opponent's pockets are. I accept that's my weakness but it's also affecting my play elsewhere so for my sanity I have to bow out (me and my spoon :lol). :ok

Well played slap for 2nd :clap :clap :clap
Thanks. I'm usually immune to tilt (even though I did write part of the Handbook of Tilting Theory), but I think I succumbed a bit after he rivered my straight with a full house. Not sure I'd have played much differently after that, though, anyway.

The way they play does make it very tough to get in the money on any individual night, but IMO it all but guarantees a profit over a period of time (though as I said before, I am a little dubious of the strategy of treating it as a $10 freezeout :unsure)
I don't think there's much wrong with treating it as a freezeout if you're just in it for the added value. Compared to a normal freezeout there's a little less incentive to rebuy or add-on, since it doesn't increase the prize pool. But by not rebuying/adding-on, you certainly hurt your chances of finishing high on the leaderboard.