** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rugby League: Super League - Round 5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5

A suprise ???????????????? Its mental mate, i had that down as a 0. I quite fancy Leeds as well to beat the cap as although hull kr have had some great results they may struggle when its one of the top sides.
I get the feeling that Quins +8pts wont be there this time tomorrow mate, :unsure regardless if Barrett plays or not, the seems on the high side. Decisions, decision.... Bradford have a fab record against Salford, especially at Odsal. I have said it before and say it again the City Reds cannot defend on wide surfaces (Huddersfield & Bradford).

Bit confused here, is that Leeds +8 and Salford +10?? Can't figure if the hcp is for the home or away team :unsure
Sorry Ronnie, my mistake.....table should now be correct. Leeds -8pts / Salford +10pts :ok

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 You do get the feeling Bradford are gonna hammer someone soon and watching that match between Salford and Catalans it could be 1 of they 2. For all the ball had the Reds struggled badly to turn it into points. Bulls played quite well last week at Saints apart from the opening 20mins. Yer right rugbylad this may well be a home win by 20 points + as im sure this is a fixture they enjoy. Is there any chance of Stacy Jones being back for Catalans ? as if he is they will be different side altogether and with 10 points start a good bet. Leeds, Quins, Catalans ? maybe and Bulls

Just a warning' date=' Klein is reffing the Warrington vs Saints game on Friday night, he is also reffing the mighty Featherstone Rovers on sunday in the 3rd round of the Challenge Cup ;)[/quote'] That's one game I can cross off my list now :lol

That's one game I can cross off my list now :lol
Haha, I plan to give the little shit some stick when he's down at Rovers on Sunday. I plan to shout asking for my stake back for the Bradford game :ok

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Not a point about this weeks betting but anyway.... Does anyone else agree that sky should show all the games in super league in the same way they do with the premiership football ? Not live but the whole 80 mins from all the games, or even highlights. I would love to watch all 6 games and it would be far better for punters and easier to pick winners.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Only problem Alan is production costs, I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that it costs upwards of £30k for Sky to cover a game live (not sure if that includes the big screen etc) but that's the cost for all the extra TV angles and not just one main camera. THat's one of the excuses why National League Rugby has not been shown on Sky up until this season.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 I accept that mate but i cant be the only person who would rather see highlights or the entire match between say wigan and hull kr than a live game between 2 teams at the bottom of football league 2. Of all the sports sky show id guess the super league is one of the most popular. Maybe im biased though. I think its crap that we only see the trys from the other games and while im not expecting the same quality coverage of the other games as with the live match, we should get more just the scores.

I accept that mate but i cant be the only person who would rather see highlights or the entire match between say wigan and hull kr than a live game between 2 teams at the bottom of football league 2. Of all the sports sky show id guess the super league is one of the most popular. Maybe im biased though. I think its crap that we only see the trys from the other games and while im not expecting the same quality coverage of the other games as with the live match, we should get more just the scores.
I have to agree AP, or certainly an interactive choice of games (as with the Prem)....however not sure my missus would be so keen with over 7hrs of Super League for me to watch. :tongue2

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 To some extent I agree with you with the League 2 footy argument. There is a site that lists viewing figures which I'll dig out this evening when I get home. I'm pretty sure Super League Live games on Sky Sports 1 regularly gets over 300,000 viewers with only premiership games getting more but I'll have to double check ;) Hopefully similar amounts will watch the might featherstone when we are live on sky in June/ July against the Celtic Crusaders

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Can't find the specific link but I think it's on BARB. When the thread is updated on totalrl.com I'll post up the viewing figures. Can't find the specific thread they have got going (in other words too lazy ;) )

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 despite being on the wrong end of bradford results recently, I too am prepared to give them a chance against what has been so far a lacklustre salford team. surely not another match where the bulls will give a team a headstart in the first quarter? :unsure i was tempted by by hull at huddersfield off scratch, but not without cooke. harlequins look interesting with the start. there are still plenty willing to lay +8, so I assume Trent Barrett will be playing? someone will have to convince me that catalans are worth taking with a +8 start at wakefield. they were unconvincing at salford although in their defence conditions were poor. can only think from the handicap that stacey jones might be fit again? so bulls followed by harlequins if trent barrett doesn't play are tempting to me so far. :ok

despite being on the wrong end of bradford results recently, I too am prepared to give them a chance against what has been so far a lacklustre salford team. surely not another match where the bulls will give a team a headstart in the first quarter? :unsure i was tempted by by hull at huddersfield off scratch, but not without cooke. harlequins look interesting with the start. there are still plenty willing to lay +8, so I assume Trent Barrett will be playing? someone will have to convince me that catalans are worth taking with a +8 start at wakefield. they were unconvincing at salford although in their defence conditions were poor. can only think from the handicap that stacey jones might be fit again? so bulls followed by harlequins if trent barrett doesn't play are tempting to me so far. :ok
The Bulls could perhaps be a 3pt bet from me, Mearl. Look back at the playoffs thread from last year ;) much of the same logic still applies. I will wait for team news first as the -10pts doesn't look like being cut. Quins +8pts is on the biggish side, well according to the stats that is.......Wigan only covered 4 handicaps at home last season, one of which was a dead rubber (Hull), Quins were (+) handicap winners 14 out of 21 times last year, they have started in similar vein this year with 2/2 wins when receiving the start. BUT......putting the stat book aside for one moment..... Wigan will have had the wind put up them after their recent performances, most notably their shock defeat against Hull KR. Im sure they cannot play as badly this time round. It reminds me of last year's Round 3 tie, Wigan v Huddersfield. Wigan had a horror start after losing their first two opening games (Catalan & Leeds)....they were facing a largish 10pts handicap against the Giants. Wigan ended up covering the handicap against all expectations winning 36 v 20 (believe they took a 26 v 0 lead). On reflection, it will probably be a game I leave alone.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 It's the 3rd Round of the Challenge Cup this weekend chaps aswell. For those not aware this is the first round where "professional" outfit enter the competition. Aswell as all the National League clubs joining the amateur clubs that are left, we also have 3 french teams. Some may remember Toulouse reaching the Semi Final a couple of years ago under the guidance of Justin Morgan, now coach at Hull KR :ok All the national league clubs will be hoping to avoid slip ups with the hope of a lucrative tie against one of the Super League boys :clap Hopefully these copy and paste ok :dude Saturday 10 March 2007 Home Away Hcap Tie East Hull v Oldham (14:00 GMT) +16 -12 +16 West Bowling v London (14:30 GMT) +8.5 -6 +8 Blackpool v SM Pia (15:00 GMT) +20.5 -16 +16 Celtic Crusaders v Eastmoor (18:00 GMT) -26 +30 -30 Gateshead v Limouxin (18:00 GMT) +16 -12 +12 Sunday 11 March 2007 Home Away Hcap Tie Batley v Widnes St M (14:00 GMT) -28.5 +28.5 West Hull v Barrow Raiders (14:00 GMT) +18.5 -14 +16 Dewsbury v Leigh (15:00 GMT) +12 -8.5 +12 Featherstone v Drighlington (15:00 GMT) -36 +40 -40 Halifax RLFC v Eccles & Salford (15:00 GMT) -46.5 +46.5 Hunslet v Rochdale Mayfield (15:00 GMT) -26.5 +26.5 Keighley v Thronhill Trojans (15:00 GMT) -22 +26 -26 Leigh MR v Sheffield (15:00 GMT) +20.5 -20.5 Normanton Knights v Widnes (15:00 GMT) +54 -54 +54 Rochdale v Saddleworth (15:00 GMT) -42 +42 -42 Swinton v Lokomotiv Moscow (15:00 GMT) -46.5 +46.5 Whitehaven v Doncaster Lakers (15:00 GMT) -14.5 +18 -18 Workington v Oulton (15:00 GMT) -22 +28 -28 York v Toulouse (15:00 GMT) +6 0 0 Castleford v Lock Lane (15:30 GMT) -56.5 +58 -58 I personally fancy both Celtic and Featherstone to overcome those handicaps ;)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Only bet for me this weekend is a Celtic and Featherstone double :ok Featherstone are putting a full strength side out and 2nd Rower Jamie Field who broke his nose against Castleford on Boxing Day will be making his debut. This fella has had vast experience with Wakefield in Super League and has also played for Huddersfield and Leeds. I'd expect us to score at least 50/60 on Sunday. Celtic should do similar :hope

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Good luck mate, the fev handicap looks a bit light to me too.....will have to look more into it before deciding whether to bet or not.... Judging by Drighlington website, I think we could muster up a PL rugby team to give them a run for their money: :lol http://hometown.aol.co.uk/matthewdossett/myhomepage/rugby.html

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Haha ;) I'll have a read of those player profiles. I went to see them play last week actually against Sharlston which is the next village to where I live. Drig won 23-16 I think but it was the worst game of rugby I've ever seen. They have signed a player from Fev called Andy Kay who made one sub appearance for us last year but he did play a few times when we were in NL1

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 The more I think about it the more I like the Fev and Celtic double. Celtic are full time more less so should run up a cricket score and Fev will want to keep their momentum going and we only lost by 6 points last week against Cas, a game which in all honesty many fans were walking out thinking we were the better team (we pushed them to 7/8 goal line drop outs). It's a heck of a long journey for Eastmoor (wakefield) all the way to brigend aswell

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Im gonna take yer advice RL and leave the Quins bet out. Which means i was talking a lot of rubbish at the start of the week, but whats knew ?:lol Tonight im on Saints, tough game as the home side should be right up for it and will fancy their chances. But i cant see past Saints after the way they started last time out. -4 with skybet. Loving the look of Leeds -8 william hills. Yeah i know they aint been on top form and Hull Kr have had some good results so far. But sometimes theres a game where you just expect the class to tell, and if/when Leeds get in front i can see them scoring a right few points. If they 2 go to plan il probably take the bulls as well and maybe even catalans.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Two bets stand out for me tonight thats 13/8 for a 40/20 with Bet365, Briers and Long are maybe the best exponents of this play and i'm sure both will be attempting to land them. And i'm looking for Stephen Tyrer to keep the form he showed last week against Bradford and bag himself another try @ 9/4 with Skybet. Also worth a look at him as first/last tryscorer @ 25's also at Skybet.

Im gonna take yer advice RL and leave the Quins bet out. Which means i was talking a lot of rubbish at the start of the week, but whats knew ?:lol Tonight im on Saints, tough game as the home side should be right up for it and will fancy their chances. But i cant see past Saints after the way they started last time out. -4 with skybet. Loving the look of Leeds -8 william hills. Yeah i know they aint been on top form and Hull Kr have had some good results so far. But sometimes theres a game where you just expect the class to tell, and if/when Leeds get in front i can see them scoring a right few points. If they 2 go to plan il probably take the bulls as well and maybe even catalans.
Good stuff AP, :ok I am going to give tonight's games a wide birth....can't quite call them. Harlequins +8pts is a carrot waiting to be bitten but im going to let it pass me by..... Leeds is an interesting on, which I will have to look at more closely tomorrow (off work)....HRK are due a pasting very soon! Maybe im giving Bradford too much thought, but as it stands that will be my only bet of the round it seems. Good luck to all those punting tonight, :hope