5% of bankroll - will it work?

DC

Hi guys, I've been chatting about this strategy in other threads with a few of you, in particulalr Rob (DAMO) who is currently trying a $1 - $xxxxx challenge (along with a few other people I notice!) ala Chris Fergusson... I'm not going for the $1 - $20,000 challenge myself but using the same concept of the "5% of bank at any table" rule, I hope to improve my game and make a profit longterm, but more importantly NEVER HAVE TO DEPOSIT AGAIN!! You see, I'm the sort of player who will deposit $50 into my account, play a few $5 games, win some lose some, step up to a $10 head to head after a loss, lose that, play a $20 STT, lose that and burn my cash. I think I'm actually quite a good player and did keep some accurate records last year which showed a profit until TILT took over or I withdrew the funds for something else or I switched the money to my sports account and blew it on the horses and football!! My aim this year is to be more disciplined and keep a rigid plan in action at all times by having a separate poker account that MUST NOT be used for any other bets, withdrawn for any other reason of which only 5% of the bankroll can be used at any time, be it STT's or cash tables. I never really used to think of my account as a "bank" something to protect and build and was never really able to relax as so much of my account was on the table. The key is to GO DOWN to the lower levels in proportion to my bank to begin with and as my bankroll builds the blinds/buy-ins will increase as will the profit (hopefully!) I cannot believe how more relaxed I am at the tables since doing this. I started with $110, just enough to start with $5 (+0.50c) STT's and have made a small profit with these so far. I can also divide the bank at any one time by 20 and take that money to a cash table at the lowest possible level and play there as an alternative to STT's. I'm keeping records of these games too which also helps. As soon as the bank hits $220 I can afford to have a stab at $10 (+$1) STT's etc.. My bankroll now stands at just over $174 which means I can also take $8.70 to a 5c/10c table - (if I double over, I leave the table and re-buy for 5% of the new bank etc..) or still contiune with $5 or less STT's... The standard of play is pretty awful at this level which is the only thing I'm not really used to but as I said before playing poker knowing you're only using 5% of your bank has really helped me focus, become more tuned in and having a target or plan should prevent me from going "bankrupt" and the knowledge that this could lead anywhere is also quite exciting. I expect to go up and down levels as I progress but this should enable me to "find my own standard/level" which is also interesting. I will continue to post my results on a regular basis here and wonder if anyone else is trying or has tried a similar concept? Cheers Danny :ok

Re: 5% of bankroll - will it work? Reading the first section of your post, i can certainly relate to your style, of depositing winning a little then over a period of stupid play at times and levels, i should not even be playing. Over the last few days i have been looking at a change and tring to build up a nice bankroll, and only playing at suitable levels and times i feel most comfortable. Your systems seems to be ideal for me to try and will be giving the same idea a try. hope you have some success with it and are able to stick to it!! :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.