Trying a Chris Ferguson

libbert

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson I'm not sure, but my assumption is that he would buy in for 100xBB (usually the maximum on a NL table). So if you have a $140 bankroll, then 5% is $7 - divide that by 100 is 7c - I think there are a number of sites that have 2c/5c games - that sounds like where you should be now :ok Yes money on the table is his money only :ok

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson

I'm going to try this again, starting from zero. I'll do it exclusively on UltimateBet. I've never deposited there (only played the play money Royal Holdem and Roshambo), which makes it easy to keep track. So first step is to win some money in a freeroll. May take a while. Then I may try the low-limit Royal Holdem tables, if there's any action there, as on the play money tables most of the players really didn't get it.
It's been over a month, but I'm finally off the mark. I won $2 for coming 9th in a 2419 player stud hi/lo freeroll. :nana I'm hoping that since I've made it so hard on myself to get started, I'll be really motivated to preserve that bankroll. I'll let you all know in a couple of weeks when I'm a millionaire. :ok

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson I started with 3 dollars (won from a freeroll) now I'm at 64 dollars but I'm still stuck on the 3 STTs at Boss, I wish I could post one of my tourneys here so you could see why I'm still at the 3 dollar STTs. It might be because I lose 70% of my coin flips or %40-%60 matchups but I might be doing wrong plays too. I still study them a lot and post some hands here but couldn't move on.

It's been over a month, but I'm finally off the mark. I won $2 for coming 9th in a 2419 player stud hi/lo freeroll. :nana I'm hoping that since I've made it so hard on myself to get started, I'll be really motivated to preserve that bankroll. I'll let you all know in a couple of weeks when I'm a millionaire. :ok
I've been playing $0.50 STTs (and a few micro-stake cash games) and I've turned my $2 into a little over $11. So according to the Ferguson rule of only buying in to a STT for 5% of your bankroll, I can now afford to play the $0.50 STTs I've been playing in! At this level, I think my edge is big enough that I can reasonably safely buy in to a STT for a bit more than 5%, so I'll probably step up to $1 if and when I'm up to around $15. I think STTs are what I'm best at, so I'll probably mainly stick to those for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing $0.50 STTs (and a few micro-stake cash games) and I've turned my $2 into a little over $11. So according to the Ferguson rule of only buying in to a STT for 5% of your bankroll, I can now afford to play the $0.50 STTs I've been playing in! At this level, I think my edge is big enough that I can reasonably safely buy in to a STT for a bit more than 5%, so I'll probably step up to $1 if and when I'm up to around $15. I think STTs are what I'm best at, so I'll probably mainly stick to those for the time being.
Up to $15.66 now. I'll step up to the $1 STTs, but I'll go back down to the $0.50 ones if I drop below $14. If things go well, I'll decide when to go up further once I see how well I'm doing at $1.

that's great gl mate where are you playing the STT's at?
I'm doing this all at Ultimate Bet. Mainly because it's easier to keep track if I do it on just one site where I started with nothing. Also because it's quite hard to get started there (their freerolls pay 18 places and get about 2500 players), and I'm hoping that will be an incentive to preserve my bankroll now I have got going.

Up to $15.66 now. I'll step up to the $1 STTs, but I'll go back down to the $0.50 ones if I drop below $14. If things go well, I'll decide when to go up further once I see how well I'm doing at $1.
Up to $31.86. I lost my first two $1 games, dropped down to $0.50, came first in my first game at that level, stepped back up to $1 and had a good run. Hovered around $20-$25 for a bit and finally got above $30 this evening. I still feel the games at this level are very soft, so I'll step up to $2, but I'll drop back to $1 whenever I'm below $30. If the $2 games seem significantly tougher than the $1 ones, I may reconsider. After $2, the next jump is a fairly significant one, to $5. I'll probably stick to the Ferguson 5% rule at that stage (though I may ignore the rake), so I won't step up to $5 until my bank is above $100. But again, ... I may reconsider.

Ok was gonna give this a go on Eurosuper, (see post above) but they dont have enough freerolls to get me started. Would like to deposit $20 and then start from there. Is this cheating? Will play $1 mtts to start????
Don't think there are any set rules, so do whatever suits you.

Up to $31.86. I lost my first two $1 games, dropped down to $0.50, came first in my first game at that level, stepped back up to $1 and had a good run. Hovered around $20-$25 for a bit and finally got above $30 this evening. I still feel the games at this level are very soft, so I'll step up to $2, but I'll drop back to $1 whenever I'm below $30. If the $2 games seem significantly tougher than the $1 ones, I may reconsider.
I've had my first serious losing spell. I got up to about $50 playing at $2. Then I had a run of 10 games without cashing :(. I dropped down to the $1 STTs, and although I broke the losing run by coming 3rd in the first game, the bad run continued. I was down to about $20.50 at the worst point, but I'm now up to about $22.50. I don't think I'm tilting, although there've been a couple of sessions where I know I wasn't playing well. I've certainly been losing quite a few big hands where I started ahead. But anyway, I think I'll take a break of a week or so before continuing, and maybe take a look at my record of results to think about when I should be going back up to $2 (or down to $0.50).

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson Just an update on my progress: I'm actually about where I was when I last posted. I took about a week off, but when I started again my losing streak continued, and I briefly dropped down to $0.50. However, during this period I was doing quite well in MTTs, which helps me put it down to variance rather than just bad play. And when I eventually picked up here, I started doing badly in MTTs ... ho hum. I've looked over my record, and I'm still comfortable with stepping back up to $2 when (if?) my bank reaches $30, so long as I don't have any more major downswings before I get there. One thing I should look at is how my performance depends on the type of STT I play. UB has "normal", "turbo" and "ultra turbo". Compared to other sites I've played on, their "normal" STTs seem to have quite a slow structure and their "turbos" are not much faster than some normal STTs on other sites. Up until now I've basically been choosing whichever has a table closer to being full, but maybe I should be more choosy.

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson Bluesquare poker have 10 cents give aways, I built my bankroll recently up to $16 being very disciplined, told my wife about the 10 cent freeroll's to keep her occupied..... she done my $16 in :@ Well anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the bluesquare route is an excellent starter. All you need to do is win a couple to get enough to play the 10 cent STT's, from there to a dollar you will have NO problems. Players at the lowest stakes have no respects for the money... sure it is only 5p they're losing. $1 STT's upwards, things tend to improve. BTW. Winning a $50 freeroll got me back into contention on Virgin poker. There's usually less than 300 in each daily event so it shouldn't take too many attempts to win a few $$$'s there. The minimum buy in for cash is $2.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson I am not sure I really believe Ferguson did this, and think it is just a marketing gimmick to encourage low stakes players onto Full Tilt, find it difficult to understand how some one who's won the WSOP Main Event could sit for hours grinding out literally playing for cents.

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson I got up to $230 from 0, the problem is that there are rules and guess what I didn't stick to them. Lost quite a bit last night, every hand I was getting done on the river and when I finally got aces in the BB it was folded around to me, so now I'm going to play in the $50+$5 deep stack event and see where that gets me! haha I will be 10% of the way there if I win :)

I am not sure I really believe Ferguson did this' date=' and think it is just a marketing gimmick to encourage low stakes players onto Full Tilt, find it difficult to understand how some one who's won the WSOP Main Event could sit for hours grinding out literally playing for cents.[/quote'] Ferguson probably doesn't need the money. Everything he wins is going to charity. Hence 'challenging' himself to see if he can do it. http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/chris-ferguson-challenge ^^ Live updates of his bank balance. http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/poker-blog/2007/08/226_ferguson_shatters_ten_thousand_and_twelve_and_thirteen.php ^^ The blog of the moment when he managed it.

Re: Trying a Chris Ferguson Said it beforre and I'll say it again. I, as a beginner built my bankroll up from zero to about half of what Ferguson aimed for so it shouldn't really be that much of a challenge to an expert. I had the luxury of using the online poker world though. I don't know if I could do it playing just on one site like Full Tilt.

As I am doing something a bit similar - trying to increase my bankroll sensibly, mainly as im a young beginner poker player with not a lot of money (so far from $20 to $140) - I was wondering a couple of things.

Yeah, I've not gone as far as GAF but gont to $1200 now just using Betfair poker, so I don't think it is hugely surprising he did it. It is the zero to a safe amount stage which is the difficult bit I think, having to win freerolls and everything as they seem to be pot luck almost. And GAF i gotta say I thought your articles were great and helped me start making profit sensibly at poker, so many thanks.

And GAF i gotta say I thought your articles were great and helped me start making profit sensibly at poker' date=' so many thanks.[/quote'] The "king" of the articles on getting started and building a bankroll is by Valiant - are you mixing up your authors? :unsure But thanks anyway :D