Musings on STTs

slapdash

On the rare occasions that I've been the big stack in the middle stages of a STT, I've noticed that it's particularly easy to pick up lots of small pots by being aggressive, as medium stacks don't want to get involved with you and risk being knocked out. I'm not sure that I've quite got the hang of taking full advantage of this, but it may be a pretty large advantage if you do get the hang of it. Might this mean that it's worth taking more risks early to build a large stack than you might otherwise do? Most of the STTs I play are in the $5 to $50 buyin range. Things may be different at very low or high buyins. Thoughts?

Re: Musings on STTs

Might this mean that it's worth taking more risks early to build a large stack than you might otherwise do?
This question has bugged me all morning, but I can't quite put my finger on why exactly. I think its because my answer is no, but I can't express why. Sorry... :$ Actually scrap that. I can. :D The payout structure of an STT is such that it isn't about getting as many chips as possible, its more about survival, so the game you play (or should I say I try to play) is similar to the game I try to play when approaching the bubble in an MTT with a less than average stack. In other words I'm prepared to wait for a decent hand and play it hard when I get it. Another thing is in the early stages of an STT I think it's important to try and get a read on the table, such as who are the fish, who are the steady players, good players to watch out for etc... Once I've done that I find I'm more capable of knowing what I can get away with against these types. For example I'm confident of bluffing a good player off a pot than I am a poor player and so I adjust my game accordingly. My strategy often leaves me as a shorter stack by the middle stages, but I find it doesn't hinder me too greatly, and I have on occasion been very short stacked and been prepared to wait while the LAG's left lock horns. I do think that the argument you're making does have some merits though.

Re: Musings on STTs

Another thing is in the early stages of an STT I think it's important to try and get a read on the table, such as who are the fish, who are the steady players, good players to watch out for etc...
Definately. I also think the higher level you play on STT's the more leverage a large stack has. A player on a $2.00'er really wan't be too arsed about calling you with his AJ.

Re: Musings on STTs I'd say NOT actually.:unsure Nearer the middle/end of the game the medium stacks aren't going to call as often because they don't want to get involved in a battle with a large stack and risk going out when they are so close to placing. At the start of the game when everyones stacks are level, (I assume this is true because as you said you're trying to build a big stack earlier in the game) then nobody will be frightened to call you as the blinds aren't going up to a high level just yet so there is no pressure to call AND they're not scared by your stack -they have much the same chips as you. Just my 2p worth!

Re: Musings on STTs One persons 2p worth is as good as anybody elses. {By the way if it is ''tuppence'' worth then will that not still be 2d as opposed to 2p???...or am I just showing my age now?} I have found recently that I am becoming increasingly comfortable with a more aggressive attitude at the tables and, if I've doubled up early on, it becomes so easy to bully most tables and reap the benefits...you just have to be aware of who you are playing and don't attack any calling stations or you could end up in deep poo-poo. Also found that folding small blinds early on fosters an image of tightness, such that it then becomes much easier to pull off the bluffs later on. ...by the way it was a November PL game up against Jaded, in mighty fine form he was that night, that made me realise that I was playing tight but far too passively when it came to having a decent hand. I folded the winning hand to his raises TWICE! Anyway ...my view on STTs in general is that if you stick to middle stakes games you will: 1... have some higher stakes players who have dropped down to either get a game or because they have hit a losing streak. Either way they will be ripe for the taking...but beware...if you beat them they will give an in depth analysis of the hand and why they should have won...such as ''You FKing muppet'' or some such like! 2... have the smaller stakes players attempting to step up...as we all know this can often be an expensive move. Basically I am saying you should play at the games where you are neither over flamboyant nor under severe financial pressure. Well 2d or 2p worth, whichever it is, I think I've just given my tanner's worth there!

Re: Musings on STTs STTs are mostly what I play these days, usually $5 or $10, and, personally I don't think you can go into the game with a set plan. Each game and each player play and act differently. In the early stages I tend to only get involved if I'm dealt a big hand, this first 5 minutes or so is the time I use to get reads on the other 4 people at the table. I find you can very quickly work out when you can be a bit aggressive and pick up most of the loose pots. I dare say it's only at this lowly level, but, I find that most people are not willing to take too many risks which makes it pretty obvious when the pot is there for the taking by throwing in a reasonable sized bet. Well this works for me anyway and I tend to cash 7/8 times out of 10. Pretty sure at the $20, $30, $50 ++ buy in level it will be different with a higher standard of player but not played them yet so can't be sure.:ok

Re: Musings on STTs Think this is my first post... I've been "lurching" around the PL forums a little while, and would like to say a big thank you for all the tips I've picked up already :notworthy So FWIW.. I play quite a lot of low-level ($3) STT's, I feel I place in the money often enough to comment. But mine is just one opinion. :$ I always play the first part of the game really tight, and let the lunatics bet into one another until they start getting knocked out. As you point out, once the nutters are gone, the table seems to tighten up just at the same time as the blinds become substantial. So even if I'm a little short on chips, its often fairly easy to steal enough blinds and increase my stack. My opinion is that in the early stages, the lunatics are far too dangerous to go in with anything less than a killer hand. Even then you stand the odd chance of losing a pile on the river. Then again sometimes I just get drunk, play like an idiot and lose all my money :wall

Re: Musings on STTs Quality first post, mate and :welcome to the PL.

But mine is just one opinion. :$
Thats what this game is about, so don't be shy we're all friends* here. *Except when you outdraw me in which case I reserve the right to hate you with a passion for at least the rest of the night.

Re: Musings on STTs The accepted wisdom seems to be to be tight for the first half of the game and then loosen up once all the chaff has busted out. For the alternative view, read Doyle Bruson's section on general NL strategy in the original 'Super System'. The gist seems to be to see a flop whenever you have just the hint of a hand and hope it gets stronger as the community cards come out. Upside is that you're hard to read and are in with a chance of a pot fairly frequently. Downside is that you have to be prepared to bust out of a lot of tournaments looking like a dolt. Doesn't suit my own temperament but you can't argue with 10 WSOP bracelets...