How to Play Against Fish

swampster

I'm researching an article on what to do if you find yourself stuck on a table of utter fish. Suggestions on how to play em ? Sit tight and wait to be moved ? Just play premium hands (no guarantee they wont hit stupid flushes against your rockets) ? Loosen up so you play them at their own game ?

Re: How to Play Against Fish I presume that your definition of "fish" is loose passive calling stations? (the definition is crucial!!) In this case I would say you want to be playing tighter than your opponents (but slightly looser than a standard TAG game). If you hit, you want to bet out (and expect calls). If you miss/are drawing you want to take cheap/free cards. YOu dont want to represent what you dont have at all!! You almost want to play standard "ABC Poker" .... bet if you have the goods, don't bet/call if you haven't!!! You can't worry about getting outdrawn - that's out of your control - all you care about is getting the money in when you are ahead and make sure you are giving your opponent the wrong odds if they call for their draw!!! The LAST thing you want to do is "Sit tight and wait to be moved" - do you have more chance of beating a table of fish or a table of Pro's? The worse a player is, the bigger the edge you have against them is and the better you will do (over time).....

Re: How to Play Against Fish

I presume that your definition of "fish" is loose passive calling stations? (the definition is crucial!!) In this case I would say you want to be playing tighter than your opponents (but slightly looser than a standard TAG game). If you hit, you want to bet out (and expect calls). If you miss/are drawing you want to take cheap/free cards. YOu dont want to represent what you dont have at all!! You almost want to play standard "ABC Poker" .... bet if you have the goods, don't bet/call if you haven't!!! You can't worry about getting outdrawn - that's out of your control - all you care about is getting the money in when you are ahead and make sure you are giving your opponent the wrong odds if they call for their draw!!! The LAST thing you want to do is "Sit tight and wait to be moved" - do you have more chance of beating a table of fish or a table of Pro's? The worse a player is, the bigger the edge you have against them is and the better you will do (over time).....
yeah loose aggressive nutters ! I suppose all you can do is play your ABCs and concentrate on finding tighter games in the future.

yeah loose aggressive nutters !
Loose aggressive or Loose Passive? The way to tackle them would be different!!! I THINK the proper definition of a fish is "Loose Passive" - "Loose Aggressive" is not a fish :unsure

"Loose Aggressive" is not a fish :unsure
Thanks GaF, *I* keep saying that but no-one believes me!! In response to the original post, if you're playing loose passive players, then I'd be aiming to shove with premium hands and to see flops cheaply if possible, then get my money in with strong hands (2 pairs, sets, etc.) Even *I* wouldn't bluff this type of player, btw.

Surely just depends on if theyre bad or not? I always thought 'fish' were just bad players regardless of playing style.
Every definition I find on google seems to support your definition over mine - looks like I was wrong. :$ However to generalise "fish" in this way I don't think helps in knowing how to play against them .... that depends on WHY they are bad. I think my error probably comes from using Poker Tracker, where by default the fish icon is awarded to the Loose Passive players.