Small pp...... trips......quads.....how to play ?

Guest gazza271

Guest gazza271

Below is a hand from tonights Champions League, Have a look and tell me what you think :ok Hand #452513886 at table: Champs League-Rnd 1 Started: Thu Nov 02 20:28:14 2006 TopSavings is at seat 1 with 1487.00 Douser is at seat 2 with 1505.00 robbie1960 is at seat 3 with 1425.00 Telepe is at seat 4 with 1275.00 gazza271 is at seat 5 with 1290.00 MrTricky is at seat 6 with 3530.00 robdarlo is at seat 8 with 2363.00 diliger21 is at seat 9 with 550.00 gazza271 posts the large blind 50.00 Telepe posts the small blind 25.00 Telepe: --, -- gazza271: 4h, 4d MrTricky: --, -- robdarlo: --, -- diliger21: --, -- TopSavings: --, -- Douser: --, -- robbie1960: --, -- Pre-flop: MrTricky: Call 50.00 robdarlo: Fold diliger21: Fold TopSavings: Fold Douser: Fold robbie1960: Fold Telepe: Fold gazza271: Check Ok, I'm on the BB with a small PP so just a check for me, MrTricky has flat called a few hands up to now Flop (Board: 4s, 5h, 6d): nice flop for me giving me trips. I'm aware of a possible straight draw and also that MrTricky has put a nearly 2 x pot sized bet in....has he flopped a higher set than me ? gazza271: Check MrTricky: Bet 100.00 gazza271: Call 100.00 turn (Board: 4s, 5h, 6d, 4c): Dream turn card for me giving me quads :nana . My thoughts here were that the hand was mine and any big raise and I would push all in but any small raise I would just call because I think he's now maybe on trips or full house and will go all in after the river thinking I'm on 2 pair or a smaller set gazza271: Check MrTricky: Bet 200.00 gazza271: Call 200.00 River (Board: 4s, 5h, 6d, 4c, 5d): Interesting..... If he had flopped a higher set (5's) he was now ahead with quad 5's :unsure . Thoughts here was that I believed he thought he had the better hand with a full house and would put in a big bet..... or...... he actually had sweet FA and would put in a big bet trying to scare me off so I would check,wait for his bet then push all in gazza271: Check MrTricky: Check Shite shite shite Showdown: gazza271 shows: 4h, 4d (four of a kind, Fours) Mainpot: gazza271 wins the pot of 725 with four of a kind, Fours (0.00 rake were taken for this hand) ok so I won 750 chips from my 50 chips BB but after the hand I felt dissapointed that I had'nt made more from it :\ Did I play it totally wrong ? How would you have played it ?

Re: Small pp...... trips......quads.....how to play ? My view is that you were wrong to slow play on the flop and the river (and probably the turn too). If he is drawing you want him to pay - something he wont do when there are no cards to come (unless he hit). Pre flop, you cannot worry too much about over trips - if he has, you're going bust - but if he's drawing to a straight you HAVE to make him pay to draw. IMO you're too worried about trapping, at the expense of building a big pot to play for ........

Re: Small pp...... trips......quads.....how to play ? I don't have any reason to dispute your pre & post flop play, it's pretty much what I would have done. I think a check raise would have been better on the turn, maybe only for the minimum amount but you want to build the pot here. If he had 55 or 66 and therefore had hit a full house he'd be happy to follow you all the way. The main area you failed to play well is after the river. I don't think you can put him on 55. He's the chip leader by a long way and therefore he's entitled to play at pots with nothing. To me he's not playing as though he's got anything, he's betting for information. You have to believe your ahead and bet to extract more chips. If it's only the minimum bet he'll have to call as he's getting pot odds and another 50 chips is neither here nor there. Personally I'd be betting between 100-200 at this point. He may fold, so be it, you win without a showdown and no one knows whether you were strong or bluffing. If they think you're bluffing into the chip leader that's a great table image. If he had a strong hand he would have come over the top of your river bet probably.

Re: Small pp...... trips......quads.....how to play ? I doN´t understand why you all like the flop play, I would always lead out with a raise, if Villain has small/medium pair like 33,77,88,99, or 56,57,67,68,79 I think he will reraise you (which is fine), if he has 2 unpaired overcards, he might think you have hit a small pair or an straight draw, and call anyway. And what do you hope to gain from the check? if a 2,3,7,8 fall on the turn you risc you have given him freecard to a straight, if a 2,3,7,8 falls on the turn and he don`t hit a straight, the board will look so scary, that you wont get much money out of him, if he hits his toppair on the river, because he will worry you have the straight. (2,3,7,8) thats 16 cards, thats more than a third of the remaining cards you don´t want to see, I would never slowplay when there is so many cards out there that could ruin my set for me (either by beating me or killing the chances of getting action)

Re: Small pp...... trips......quads.....how to play ? I would have led out on the flop and checked/called the turn and then bet the river however as you chk/called I would have raised the turn to his bet whilst he was still (potentially) drawing (I would have checked the turn if i had checked the flop) and I wouldn't worry about set over set or quads over quads Damo

Below is a hand from tonights Champions League, Have a look and tell me what you think :ok Hand #452513886 at table: Champs League-Rnd 1 Started: Thu Nov 02 20:28:14 2006 TopSavings is at seat 1 with 1487.00 Douser is at seat 2 with 1505.00 robbie1960 is at seat 3 with 1425.00 Telepe is at seat 4 with 1275.00 gazza271 is at seat 5 with 1290.00 MrTricky is at seat 6 with 3530.00 robdarlo is at seat 8 with 2363.00 diliger21 is at seat 9 with 550.00 gazza271 posts the large blind 50.00 Telepe posts the small blind 25.00 Telepe: --, -- gazza271: 4h, 4d MrTricky: --, -- robdarlo: --, -- diliger21: --, -- TopSavings: --, -- Douser: --, -- robbie1960: --, -- Pre-flop: MrTricky: Call 50.00 robdarlo: Fold diliger21: Fold TopSavings: Fold Douser: Fold robbie1960: Fold Telepe: Fold gazza271: Check Ok, I'm on the BB with a small PP so just a check for me, MrTricky has flat called a few hands up to now Flop (Board: 4s, 5h, 6d): nice flop for me giving me trips. I'm aware of a possible straight draw and also that MrTricky has put a nearly 2 x pot sized bet in....has he flopped a higher set than me ? gazza271: Check MrTricky: Bet 100.00 gazza271: Call 100.00 turn (Board: 4s, 5h, 6d, 4c): Dream turn card for me giving me quads :nana . My thoughts here were that the hand was mine and any big raise and I would push all in but any small raise I would just call because I think he's now maybe on trips or full house and will go all in after the river thinking I'm on 2 pair or a smaller set gazza271: Check MrTricky: Bet 200.00 gazza271: Call 200.00 River (Board: 4s, 5h, 6d, 4c, 5d): Interesting..... If he had flopped a higher set (5's) he was now ahead with quad 5's :unsure . Thoughts here was that I believed he thought he had the better hand with a full house and would put in a big bet..... or...... he actually had sweet FA and would put in a big bet trying to scare me off so I would check,wait for his bet then push all in gazza271: Check MrTricky: Check Shite shite shite Showdown: gazza271 shows: 4h, 4d (four of a kind, Fours) Mainpot: gazza271 wins the pot of 725 with four of a kind, Fours (0.00 rake were taken for this hand) ok so I won 750 chips from my 50 chips BB but after the hand I felt dissapointed that I had'nt made more from it :\ Did I play it totally wrong ? How would you have played it ?