Rugby League: Tri Nations

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations

weres stevo when you need him..he would have loved these forwards..
:lol :lol :lol Great half of Rugby League, played at such a fast pace! Australia 6 vs 4 New Zealand Was tempted to back the Aussies -10pts after 30mins, but decided against it. I am worried for this Kiwi side though, they put an awful lot of effort in the first half, with very little reward (in terms of points scored). The Aussies on the other hand look like they can score everytime they get into the Kiwis 20m, could be a long second half for the men in black. I just hope it remains a contest. If the Aussies score early in the second half then I think the floodgates will open, but if the Kiwis can keep them quiet for 15mins, they are in with a chance :ok

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations ive just had to rinse me ears out cus i thought i heard the commentators say that ashley kline was a good ref. lol In the super league he made soo many errors that benny hill vcould do a better job than him lol... Rugbylad, in previous matches kiwis have conceded a load of points in the last qtr. so you was right to be careful. they have put a lot of work into this....

oh ok ......It just seems that whenever the Aussies play anyone & win they proclaim they are the best in the world....I thought it would be fair if someone beats them they can do the same......or do other teams have more class:unsure & refrain from that:unsure
The aussies have proven over a number of years they are the best..Kiwis have improved cus they have a team playing in the NRL.I am sure that if another team such as the kiwis or great britian beat them a number of times over a span of years than people may change their thoughts.. Great Britian have the talent thats for sure but when the super league players play for great britain they seem to freeze..maybe in international rugby they can allow the britain players to wear their club jerseys lol or possibly if the saint helens team could represent great britian then that may help... great britain beat a newcastle representative team earlier in the week :ok

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations Lions roar in fiery Newcastle rep clash Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:57 PM Great Britain has rounded out its preparations for the Tri Nations with a comfortable 40-6 win over a brave but outclassed Newcastle Representative side in a sometimes spiteful encounter at EnergyAustralia Stadium. The home side put in an admirable performance but the superior size and skill levels of the British was too much for the team of amateur players from the local competition. Great Britain opens its Tri Nations campaign next Saturday again New Zealand in Christchurch and, despite the lop-sided scoreline, will need to improve on this performance to be competitive in the tournament. Source: AAP

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations Stuart playing down Lions' chances Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:54 PM Australia coach Ricky Stuart believes Great Britain face a huge test in the Tri-Nations series against his side and New Zealand. Stuart feels the Lions - who beat a Newcastle select side 40-6 in their warm-up fixture at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Friday night - will need to be at their best to match their two rivals. But after watching his side win comfortably in Newcastle, Lions coach Brian Noble was confident his side was up to the challenge. "We're very respectful of the opposition," Noble said. "We've seen them, they're big and physical, both teams. But we've shown tonight that we don't lack size and athleticism ourselves." Ahead of Saturday's second Tri-Nations clash between Australia and New Zealand at Melbourne's Telstra Dome, Stuart said of Britain: "There was a real standard set in last week's first game of the series (won 30-18 by Australia in Auckland) and they have a huge standard to get to. "Both the Kiwi and the Australian teams are now comfortable knowing that they can get to that level of intensity and the physical part of the game which was shown last week. "Great Britain are yet to show that - I've got no doubt they will - but both teams have shown last week that they've got the capacity to endure that for 80 minutes. "It's a long series and it's going to take a team that's got a lot of healthy players on board come the back end of this, because I can see it's going to be a very physical series. "I had Willie Mason describe the game there last week as physical as an Origin game. He said that he hadn't seen - and he wasn't on the field for long because of his (eye) injury - but he hadn't seen a game with such intensity." Stuart's Kiwi counterpart Brian McClennan fully expects the entire series to be played in a physical manner and believes, provided physicality does not go outside the rules, it is exactly what the fans should be seeing. "It kind of takes care of itself that the players play `physical'. We actually don't talk about it - I think it is just the passion of representing your country," said McClennan. "I think Great Britain and Australia are exactly the same as us. "We are all really proud of what we represent and you just get out there and roll your sleeves up and get stuck in. The game comes first always. "You want it to be tough but you don't want it so that it is thuggery. There is a fine line, and we are very aware of that and we don't want to cross it. "There has been a lot of build up where it can get out of hand, but we are very conscious. We want to be very disciplined because the game does come first, we want to make sure we do the right thing." Lions coach Brian Noble was content with his side's performance in their win at Newcastle. The coach singled out front rowers Stuart Fielden and Jamie Peacock for a special mention, along with centre Keith Senior, who had a strong game despite only arriving in Australia three days ago. The British face a tough Tri-Nations draw with four games in as many weeks, opening its campaign against New Zealand at Jade Stadium next Saturday before facing the Kangaroos at Aussie Stadium on November 4. Source: AAP

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations Echo the comments already made, I was out this morning but got back just before the end of the 1st half. What a try by Inglis!!!!!!!!!!!!!:notworthy :notworthy I must admit I don't really follow NRL and a few names I didn't recognise but really enjoyed it. Surprised there were only 30,000 there? (plenty of NZ'ders aswell). I had a quick look on Betfair and NZ were backed at 1.04 (over £3k matched!) :puke :puke

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations Great Game, and great comments guys :ok ...yeah would have been great to see the kiwis win, but i have to take my hat off to those %$#@ aussies!...they know how to win ...well done to them and a great comeback :notworthy I lost the kiwi win bet :wall , but my +20.5 bet came in nicely and i came away with a nice profit :ok ...so very happy about that:loon ok, i look forward to sharing thoughts with you all on the next match! Cheers!

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations Sportingodds go 4/5 on Great Britain to lose all 4 Tri-Nations matches this year (they were Evs prior to the weekend) Any takers, or am I wasting my money. I have absolutely no qualms at all about backing against my home nation, seems to me that we always fall short when Down Under - despite all the bullish talk before hand

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations No surprise to see the Kiwis as the favourites here.... New Zealand (-10pts) v Great Britain (+10pts) at both skybet and tote Squads New Zealand: Brent Webb, Tame Tupou, Nigel Vagana, Iosia Soliola, Manu Vatuvei, Jerome Ropati, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (captain), Nathan Fien, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Frank Pritchard, Simon Mannering. Interchange: Motu Tony, Nathan Cayless, Jason Cayless, David Fa'alogo. (18th man: Adam Blair) GB: TBA All thoughts welcome :ok

Sportingodds go 4/5 on Great Britain to lose all 4 Tri-Nations matches this year (they were Evs prior to the weekend) Any takers, or am I wasting my money. I have absolutely no qualms at all about backing against my home nation, seems to me that we always fall short when Down Under - despite all the bullish talk before hand
hi 2damnhype, I think the value may have gone on this one mate, it was odds against just over a week ago and was cut even more after New Zealand's valiant efforts against the Kangeroos. A danger of backing this is if GB play in a dead rubber game, they have a chance of snatching it. Having said that, I think GB will struggle down under and calls/movements may be put in place to limit the number of foreign players in our game (yes I think it's going to be that drastic). Stuart Fielden had already called for this before GB had kicked a ball. :ok

Having said that, I think GB will struggle down under and calls/movements may be put in place to limit the number of foreign players in our game (yes I think it's going to be that drastic). Stuart Fielden had already called for this before GB had kicked a ball. :ok
please explain. i'm confused :unsure

please explain. i'm confused :unsure
Could open a can a worms here, but no doubt this will be a hot topic after the Tri-Nations. Stuart Fielden has recently spoke out about his concerns over the increasing number of foreign players in the Super League. To be honest I have to agree with him somewhat, as the pool of players Noble has to choose from is getting smaller and smaller, which can only have detrimental effect on the national team. No doubt, some overseas players have been great for Super League as a whole, but there have been plently just turning up for the wage packet before retiring from the game. Over the years this has hindered many young talents from gaining vital first team experience, thus forcing them to switch codes, go to lower league rugby or even give up the game completely. I suppose another can of worms we could open in unity is the topic on Super League relegation, such are the financial implications of which are almost forcing the 'smaller' clubs in Super League to flood their squads with overseas players (eg Castleford, Quins, Wakefield). It's an issue that needs to be looked at imo (others would disagree), but I think after these Tri-Nations will we see the first movements to reduce the number of overseas players in our game. But rather than punishing clubs straight away with a heavy restriction, I think we should reduce the numbers gradually from, for example, 10, 8, 6......it's worked in other sports. Apologies in advance for touching on this in the Tri-Nations thread. :ok Article regarding Fielden. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/6074494.stm

think the kiwis will win in chch this weekend' date=' but last weekend showed me they are not a 80 minute team. Might look at GB on the handicap[/quote'] Good point Foolsgold, last weekend's game would have taken alot out of the Kiwis who were desperately unlucky not to win against the Aussies. Although i've made it clear that I think GB will struggle this year, I wouldnt necessary advise people to rush in on New Zealand. Teams in Rugby League have a funny knack of turning up against the odds and although I think NZ will win, 10pts (maybe 12pts) is a big margin tp cover in International RL. Cast your minds back to last weeks game. Plently of people on plenty of forums were expecting a landslide victory from the Aussies. Food for thought? As it stands, it's a no bet for me for now. :ok

Having said that, I think GB will struggle down under and calls/movements may be put in place to limit the number of foreign players in our game (yes I think it's going to be that drastic). Stuart Fielden had already called for this before GB had kicked a ball. :ok
rugbylad, thanks for filling me in on fielden's comments. i was actually confused because i read it as you meaning the number of foreign players would be limited in our game against the kiwis! :loon if you read your post again, then you might see why your post threw me. it makes sense now i've read it again. ;) thing is in the premiership clubs can't restrict eu citizens from plying their trade, but i suppose that law would not apply to rugby league players from the southern hemisphere. i'm not 100 per cent certain but i think that in serie a, they restrict the number of foreign players in each team, well at least they used to. :unsure by coincidence i attended west brom v arsenal last night and watched the side infamous for being the least british in the premiership, outclass us. :eek

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations think i may miss most of the game if it's on saturday, due to an early kick off in the footy. :( watched a good bit of the aus nz game. hard to explain properly but to my untrained eye the match was a different kettle of fish to superleague games. defo a lot of speed, quicker passing and heavy tackles. the commentary and in ground atmosphere was very different too. it was fiercely competitive, right to the end. nz looked absolutely choked to lose that match. i was a bit gutted for them too. usually takes us a while to adjust to conditions in the southerm hemisphere, but i see that this time the squad have had a lot more preparation time. ;) by the way, my hairstyle is similar to that aussie with the big hair. :loon

Wouldnt be a RL thread if we have a chuckle at Millward :ok RUGBY LEAGUE NEWS
spacer.gif
51610.jpg
Millward - fancies the Kiwis against Great Britain.
KIWIS TO BOUNCE BACK AGAINST GB By Ian Millward New Zealand have a real advantage over Great Britain this weekend. The Kiwis have had two really tough games, they are match-hardened and they've got some cohesion, where as some Great Britain players have played just one game in the last five or six weeks. There is a theory in Australia at present that the 20-15 defeat to the Kangaroos took too much out of the New Zealand team last week, as they had a hard game, beaten only in the last five minutes. But I have a different theory. I thought they were the best team last week, they were unlucky to lose and they will have the fire in their bellies. I think the inclusion of a couple of fowards in Frank Pritchard and, known to the English fans, Jason Cayliss from St Helens, will be two fresh faces, and if they can play anywhere near like they did last week they can win. This is a real tough task for Great Britain. They can improve over the next couple of weeks, it's not life or death for the Great Britain team, but obviously for New Zealand it is after two defeats. I fancy New Zealand to win and cover the start of 10 points. They are at home with their own fans, come off a stunning loss, and they very much want to overcome that bitterness they felt last week. As well as backing New Zealand on the handicap I would advise backing over 46 points in the total points market. Apart from last week, these games tend to be high-scoring, and I think both teams can score points this weekend. In the first tryscorer market, I think Great Britain can start well. They'll be fresh and keen, and Brian Carney could get on the end of some Great Britain kicks. He had a great combination with Martin Gleeson in the last Tri-Nations, and I think Carney can score in the game - hopefully the first one.