Flat vs Jumps

Flat vs Jumps  

1. 1.

• i prefer the fast flat
    • i prefer the up & downs of the jumps
    • i love them both equally

Re: Flat vs Jumps i find the pace of the flat far more exciting than the jumps & i find it easier to follow form on the flat. my fav meeting though for pure excitement is Cheltenham & i think its a shame that the jumps boys dont earn as much as the flat in prize money, unbelievable that Pipe / Nicholls recently broke the £1m a year barrier each & on the flat you could earn that in about 5 major races. so for me, personally the flat edges it over a complete season but the jumps is not far behind. Roll on march, not for the flat but Cheltenham of course. :ok

Re: Flat vs Jumps Ok, the perennial argument of Flat v Jumps :D I just LOVE the jumps. It's hard to describle what it is - I think it's just the more humane side of things. You see these trainers, owners etc that have been going their whole lives to get a horse to Cheltenham. None of that in flat (ok, occasionally, but not often)...but just look at Henrietta and her hubby after BM's wins. You don't see that in flat racing. It's the people's racing...I know all this Godolphin etc, but stick that up yer arse as far as I'm concerned - jumps all day long :nana

Re: Flat vs Jumps Chelters - awesome. Been there last 2 years and the atmosphere is electric. You honestly have to go to even understand it. Forget Royal Ascot, forget the Derby (even in bazing sunshine)...I'd honestly rather be at Chelters on GC day in the p!ssing rain (as I was last year) than be at those lot. :ok

Re: Flat vs Jumps Jumps without a doubt. The pleasure of seeing your equine heroes for more than a couple of seasons, the joy of spotting a bumper horse that impresses you and seeing it bloom into a champion chaser, the sheer scale of Cheltenham on the one hand and the intimacy of a gaff track on the other and, finally, a Tote ten To Follow competition you feel you actually have a chance of winning!

Re: Flat vs Jumps

' date=' a Tote ten To Follow competition you feel you actually have a chance of winning![/quote'] finished 27th once but it was on the flat, we were in top 10 for most of the season. These days, cant get anywhere near it. Always have a few go's though with my cheltenham horses. note these: War of Attrition to win Gold cup Detroit City to win Champion (only horse we have against the strong irish) Kauto Star to win King George

Won't he go jumping?
Ive a feeling bowles was referring to the Champion hurdle. My feelings about each have changed several times over the last few years. Seems obvious to say but I prefer the flat over the jumps during flat season and vise versa during jumps. Kinda obvious though as you've got the cream of each racing in these periods. Id probably have to agree with the majority and go with jumps racing. Its like jeffers said, the flat seems more for the people who want to be seen at racing for stature. The jumps is the working class peoples racing. Only seen Cheltenham on TV but never fail to get goosebumps when the cheer goes up as the horses jump off for the first race of the festival.

Re: Flat vs Jumps The Jumps by a long way. Think of it this way: Royal Ascot - Racing is all about money and breeding costs. Place is full of women putting 50p ew on a group 1 race. All about who is the best dressed women etc. Cheltenham - True punters from either side of the sea. Real bets are struck and the atmosphere is electric. Over the last then roaring them home up the cheltenham hill. Unbeatable. Not all about money either, to the jumps trainers and jocks, its about getting a winner at the greatest race festival of them all then coming back into that winners enclosure! Dont care what anyone says, the jumps are the best by a longway. The festival just tops every other race meeting in the world, also, by a long long way! Bring on the open meeting!

Re: Flat vs Jumps Flat for me although I love racing full stop. I love the fast sprints and as mentioned you can follow form a lot better than jumps. nothing worse than doing your homework to find a winner only for it fall at the last or refuse the last or even worse a donkey falling bringing yours down. Gimmie 7f 1m2f anyday.

Won't he go jumping?
yep, detroit city will go for the Champion hurdle, looks another Rooster booster to me. Not only is Jumps the favourite but the Cheltenham meeting comes out tops also. I personally think its the best course we have in this country for racing. Nothing comes near.

Re: Flat vs Jumps this sums up flat racing... i watched a race last week were the trainer of a particular horse was interviewed pre race, his comments on being asked how he thought the horse would fare was as follows.. keep your money in your pocket, no bet, wouldnt touch it with a barge pole (not so many words) anyways the horse hacked up finishing first 3 lengths clear of the field. ????????????????? now if the trainer can be that wrong and its his own horse what chances do punters have??

Re: Flat vs Jumps Carl, You say a horse can fall at the last even though you have studied all race for it? Well, if you are studying you should take note of how good a jumper the horse is. A horse like Best Mate for example had no chance of falling to be honest as he was such a good jumper. What about the big sprint handicaps on the flat, you could spend all night studying, back a high drawn horse and all the way through the race the low drawn ones are in front.

Re: Flat vs Jumps when a horse falls in a race though, it can be a combination of many things, poor jumper, jockey error or being brought down by a loose horse. I can never understand why a jock puts his horse into a race over 3miles & then jumps behind a known poor jumper or outsider & you just know it will fall & hamper your one. Over 3m, sit at the side of the field & take a view or take the field on & lead from the front. unfortunately, not many horses have a record like Best mate's!:ok on the flat, it is a known fact that the draw can influence races, again that is part of flat betting, working out which way the course will run from either past results or weather conditions.

Re: Flat vs Jumps True m8 but look at the Ayr Gold Cup recently. High draw was best for 2 days straight then one horse on the far side got upto win, was laughable. Moscow Flyer, he was a horse I always backed over jumps and was the greatest chaser we have seen since Desert Orchid (in my opinion). When backing him I always knew there was that risk he could lose concentration and throw it away at one fence but I suppose thats just jump racing. The year he unseated at Cheltenham, I think I sat there for about 10mins and said nothing. :(

Re: Flat vs Jumps Sorry if it was my coment that opened this can of worms in my thread yesterday. I agree with rockhard that Flat is by far more unpredictable for all the reasons he said plus many more. Would be intresting to see the % of favs that win over jumps compared to flat I imagine the the figure for the former would be much higher.

Jumps without a doubt. The pleasure of seeing your equine heroes for more than a couple of seasons' date=' the joy of spotting a bumper horse that impresses you and seeing it bloom into a champion chaser, the sheer scale of Cheltenham on the one hand and the intimacy of a gaff track on the other and, finally, a Tote ten To Follow competition you feel you actually have a chance of winning![/quote'] This is one of my favourite hobbies watching all the bumpers to find that one horse that will be a superstar. Keep your eyes on this one Cork all Star

Re: Flat vs Jumps Has to be flat for me. I don't like all the ladies day bollox and best dressed stuff that goes with the flat but there are genuine punters at flat racing too. It is things like Clan Royal getting taken out when looking like a sure fire winner that frustrates punters over the jumps. There was nothing wrong with its jumping, just a stray horse taking it out. I really enjoyed Cheltenham last year, some cracking races and I always thought Aintree was a better meeting. Don't think that now though. I'm going to keep an eye on Star De Mohaison, Hoo La Baloo, Voy Por Ustedes, and My Way De Solzen to name a few. They'll do well this year. Never been to a really top jumps meeting, might make it to Cheltenham.