Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07

1st innings - Cook to beat Collingwood and Flintoff @ 2.50 P Power 10 pts Alistair cook hasn’t had the best of tours but he has shown some decent signs at times. He’s looked comfortable in most of his innings, but has been punished by the odd bad shot. He hit a century in the last warm up game, so confidence will be high. There’s no doubt he has the ability to get runs, its just a matter of time. In this market all he need do is beat of colly and freddy. I don’t think Collingwood will be as effective on this surface and Freddy is having a nightmare with the bat. I could go for Cook as top bat, but I think there are other threats such as Bell of Pietersen. He should be able to beat off his opponents in this market though, and @ 2.50 I’m having some of it.
Cook got 15, Colly 11, and Freddy 13. Somehow this bet has ended up a winner, despite all 3 batsmen getting shyte scores. Nevertheless, I'll accept the win with open arms :tongue2

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cook got 15' date=' Colly 11, and Freddy 13. Somehow this bet has ended up a winner, despite all 3 batsmen getting shyte scores. Nevertheless, I'll accept the win with open arms :tongue2[/quote'] Going well for you matey. :hope Hayden doesn't fire and you can have a clean sweep :ok

Been a pretty awful morning's cricket as an England fan but that KP onslaught has brought in the 1st Inns handicap bet :D .
aye nice bet that Kev, well done fella. KP was vital in getting it over the line. Eng are still in trouble, but at least the damage isn't perhaps as bad as once thought

Right, my bets. I'm not touching the match outright yet. I still maintain England are a good side and I still believe we'll come on strong in the last 2 tests but I'm not stupid and I realise this place is effectively a fortress for Australia so I'm not going to take that record on blind. Not having a confirmed England team doesn't help predictions so I'm leaving that for an in-running play later in the match and concentrating on the side markets for now. 10pts England Highest Opening Partnership 11/8 Ladbrokes This is a 1st inns bet only. Hayden and Langer only average 18.62 for the 1st wicket here which is very low by their high standards. Strauss and Cook have both just scored a fair few runs in the warmup game here so both appear to be in a good bit of nick. Hayden is yet to get going in this series and with these conditions hopefully helping Hoggy's swing he could fall early again which would allow Strauss and Cook to step in and go beyond the Aussie's total. 10pts England +79.5runs 1st Inns Lead 10/11 Sporting Odds I truly believe there's little between these sides and I was proved right at Adelaide as England took a 1st inns lead into the 2nd inns with them. Ultimately that proved insignifcant but it showed that we can score runs against this attack. I think this is a pretty big handicap for Australia to cover and with England's batting lineup in good nick I think we'll stay within 80 of the Aussies 1st time round. 10pts R.Ponting's Performance Pts 110&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Ricky Ponting is without a doubt the best batsman in the world right now, his form throughout 2006 is being compared to that of The Don such is his excellent form. He's already taken off in this series too with knocks of 196, 142 and 49 and I expect him to carry that form on here. I think he'll surpass 50 in 1 of his 2 inns here and there's every chance that will become a ton. If that happens we're in. He's also a top notch fielder so some bonus catches might fall our way and boost the total. Either way I think Punter will cover this one. 10pts A 6 on day 1 2/1 Sporting Odds While the WACA isn't the smallest ground in test cricket it still has boundaries that are well within reach for the batsmen on show here. On day 1 some attacking batsmen are guaranteed to bat, Hayden, Ponting, Hussey, Symonds and maybe Gilchrist for Australia or Strauss, KP and Fred for England. Either way both sets of players like to attack, particularly against the spinner be it Warne, Giles or even Panesar and I think somewhere down the line on day 1 we'll see a 6 even if it's a mistimed pull off a quick or something. 10pts S.Clark to beat S.Warne & G.McGrath 15/8 Stan James This is a 1st inns bet only. The winner is the one who takes the most wickets of the 3. Stuart Clark for me, has been Australia's bowler of the series so far. In this bet he takes on the old guys Warnie and McGrath. Perth is Warnie's least liked ground. He averages 1 wicket every 80.1 balls here and proved at Adelaide he's not always a threat in the 1st innings. Glenn McGrath doesn't fare much better than Warne here, he's got 48 wickets to his name from his 11 tests here but interstingly only 1 5-for. His wickets come at a higher average to his career average too. Stuart Clark puts the ball in the right place almost all the time and lets the seam do the work. Too often the batsmen are guilty of thinking they've seen off the dangerman and have a lapse in concentration to Clark and pay the price. I think the way Clark has bowled in this series so far that this is value.
3 out of the 5 in with Ponting's bet still alive. Add the Monty one to it and it's 4/5 settled winners so far thanks to Clark snapping up that last wicket. :dude

4 winners from the 6 for me. 35pt profit for the match :dude
Great effort Kev :clap:clap:clap i have never really considered betting on the cricket what with all the match fixing that goes on, but I might see what you do next test and go along for the ride for a bit of interest. Quality tipping :ok

Great effort Kev :clap:clap:clap i have never really considered betting on the cricket what with all the match fixing that goes on, but I might see what you do next test and go along for the ride for a bit of interest. Quality tipping :ok
I dont think the match fixing is as bad these days Beejayville, but i see your point. But if 'Super' Kev can continue with his brilliant strike rate with the cricket then im going to start following his tips financially. This isnt just a one off either. Congrats Kev :cheers

I dont think the match fixing is as bad these days Beejayville, but i see your point. But if 'Super' Kev can continue with his brilliant strike rate with the cricket then im going to start following his tips financially. This isnt just a one off either. Congrats Kev :cheers
Cheers guys. Ads is right Beejay mate, the ICC have done a lot to rid match fixing from the game and I think they've achieved that.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 I don't think there is much match fixing going on now. Maybe, sometimes in a ODI series if the home side is ahead they may try and spin out a series to make all the game competitive. Regarding the ashes, bet won but it leaves a sour taste. I actually made the effort and got up at 'stupid o'clock' this morning but was back in bed by 5. When Flintoff and Pieterson hit both Clark and Lee out of the attack I thought England had a real chance. Honestly. However, Flintoff didn't move his feet to a full pitch Warne drifter and Jones, well, poor fella. Series should still be alive, Aussies going for the 5-0 and England after some pride.

I don't think there is much match fixing going on now. Maybe, sometimes in a ODI series if the home side is ahead they may try and spin out a series to make all the game competitive. Regarding the ashes, bet won but it leaves a sour taste. I actually made the effort and got up at 'stupid o'clock' this morning but was back in bed by 5. When Flintoff and Pieterson hit both Clark and Lee out of the attack I thought England had a real chance. Honestly. However, Flintoff didn't move his feet to a full pitch Warne drifter and Jones, well, poor fella. Series should still be alive, Aussies going for the 5-0 and England after some pride.
Yeh would have been great if England won the second test like they should have...Then it would have been 2-1 going into the Boxing Day test match in front of 100,000 people. I reckon England came into the Ashes a little underdone which is a pity cos they have played some great cricket at times, and score doesn't reflect how they have played. Guess in cricket you have to take your chances when they come along, and that's what Australia have done. I heard England Captain on TV here after they lost the Ashes and I liked the way he spoke...He said the Ashes are lost but it's on to the Boxing Day test to restore some pride, so that's a good attitude to have instead of wallowing in self pity. Gotta admire Shane Warne too, he does some silly things at times, but when it comes to bowling there is none better. He will get his 700th wicket in front of his home fans and that will be something to remember. Even tho England lost the Third test, they went down fighting and should be proud of they way they fought it out. They had a total that was almost impossible to get in the 2nd innings, but every now and then it looked like a slim chance they might get it, very slim I should say. So well done England for fighting it out the way you did. :ok

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 I know it's early, but I often sleep through the first ball of a Boxing Day test, so I thought I'd place this bet while it was on my mind: Event: 4th Ashes Test (MCG) Selection: Matthew Hayden Player Performance 95pts and Over Price/Bookie: $1.83 (Bet365) Strength: 9/10 Since the 2000/01 season against the Windies where Haydos had reclaimed his spot in the side, he has scored 4 test centuries at the MCG (2001 v SFA, 2002 v ENG, 2003 v India, 2005 v SFA). In 2004 he was in his really baron spell, though did manage a 56* in the 2nd innings (Australia were chasing a small total then). He also looked better in the last test, scoring 92 in the 2nd innings and making a good start in the first. Throughout the series he's generally made a start (20-30runs), so if he does fail in one innings you may make a bit of progress. More importantly though, he's generally the type of guy who goes on with a start, and if there's one place I'd really expect him to do the business, it's at the MCG. Being a gully fieldsman to the quicks and Warne's first slipper, I can also see him wiping off 5-15pts from catches, leaving just 80-90 runs to get in 2 innings, which I think he'll manage.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Good luck with that Oscar. I fancy Hayden to have a good match too. Once again I'm not going to bet on the match result, not to start off with. I've heard rain talked about a bit on day 1 and if that comes the draw looks a runner but Aus have won 7 on the bounce here, England being the last side to stop Aus here in 98/99. All the build up has centred around 2 men and their impending retirements. Warne and McGrath. Warne needs 1 wicket for 700, an amazing achievement from an amazing cricketer. Australia will be unchanged here, England could make 2. They'll certainly wield the axe on Geraint Jones, Chris Read will take the gloves. It's feasible that Jamie Dalrymple will debut in place of the complaining Saj Mahmood. Side market attack for me! 10pts England +79.5 runs 1st Inns Lead 5/6 Sporting Odds England have managed to stay competitive in the 1st innings of these matches excluding Brisbane, despite trailing 3-0. It's quite feasible that we'll extend our batting lineup further with Jamie Dalrymple coming into the side and meaning he will bat at 7 and the returning Chris Read, who averaged 42 in the summer, will bat at 8. That makes it long enough to put a score on the board. Perth showed 1 thing and that's that we can attack the Aussies and we can hang around. Runs for Cook and Fred were vital leaving Strauss as the only English batsman yet to score runs of some sort in the series. That's only a matter of time though assuming the umpires can get they're decisions right as he's had 3 shockers when looking good in all 3 innings. With England's batting lineup and renewed confidence in the batting lineup from Perth I think we'll stay within 79 of the Aussies 1st up. 10pts R.Ponting's Performance Pts 108&Over 10/11 Boylesports Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Ricky Ponting is having a superb series and he arrives at the MCG, a ground he seems to love batting at. He has really led Australia from the front under his reign and his year with the bat in 2006 is nothing short of astonishing. Ponting averages 75.25 here at the MCG and is averaging a stunning 104.80 for the series so he's sure to go well with the bat in one of the 2 innings. He fields fairly close to the bat so might pick up a few groups of 10's with catches which would be a bonus but 108 runs in the 2 innings isn't beyond him and I think he'll cover this total. 10pts K.Pietersen's Performance Pts 105&Over 10/11 Boylesports Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Kevin Pietersen loves batting against the Aussies. Most of his best performances come against them and he relishes the challenge of facing the best attack in the world. KP's also a character who will thrive upon batting in front of 100,000 screaming Aussies packed into the MCG. Along with being in superb form with the bat (averaging 79.60 for this series) he may also pick up a catch or a wicket with his part time off spin, all of which will help towards the total. It's a total I'm confident he'll clear witht he bat though and so we'll take the overs here. 10pts A.Strauss to beat J.Langer (Both innings) Evs Ladbrokes Andrew Strauss hasn't got the big score in this series yet but he has had rotten luck. He looks in good nick but each time he gets going Rudi Koertzen sends him on his way with a poor decision. While Koertzen is umpiring for this match I'd like to think that eventually he'll get a decision right and Strauss can go on and make the score he deserves. Justin Langer's looked a bit out of touch in this series. Even at Brisbane where he hit a ton, an awful lot of runs came via the edge of his bat. Matthew Hoggard seems to have his number these days though and seeing Langer score lots of runs is something I can't picture so I'm happy to take his former Middlesex teammate here. 5pts S.Clark Top Aussie bowler (1st Inns Only) 3/1 Bet365 Without a shadow of doubt Stuart Clark has been Australia's best bowler of the series. He should really have played over in England last summer but thankfully he didn't. His form in the series though makes this price very attractive. Warne's favourite but we seem to be playing him ok now on the early days of the match when the pitch is good, however Clark we've not played too well all series. He's troubled all the English batsmen so far in the series and he'll do it again here and so I'm happy to be on the ex-Middlesex paceman here. 5pts ew M.Hayden Top Aussie Bat (1st Inns Only 1/4 1,2,3) 9/2 Boylesports Along with Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden also loves batting at the MCG. He averages 68 here and has scored 4 centuries in his 7 tests at this venue. In England last summer he improved as the series went on with the bat and a similar theme seems to be happening in this series. He made a solid 90 odd in Perth which should refill his confidence and I think we'll see another typical Hayden like innings here. I can't see him being out of the top 3 but with his stats here he could easily top score and he's the bet for the Top Aussie Bat.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 sorry no time for write ups at this point in time. These are my 3 performance bets for the 4th test Ian Bell 90 pts and over @ 1.90 Paul Collingwood under 90 @ 1.90 Justin Langer under 92 @ 1.90 level 10 pts stakes on all bets I must also agree wholeheartedly with Kev in that Strauss to beat Langer is a cracking bet @ 2.0. Thats a meaty price in my eyes :tongue2 :tongue2 GL all :hope :hope :hope :hope

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Just for interest... Been raining fairly heavily around Melbourne the last three days. I was down there today actually about 15 minutes from the MCG and it was raining cats and dogs, unfortunately no pussys :rollin Was more spurts of rain than constant, about 10 minute sudden strong rain/hail, then sunshine again for a while, then the showers again. Continued like this while I was down there, which was about 2 hours. Had to wait for a break in the rain to go outside to get to the car. Supposedly getting better the next few days, although forecast for tomorrow is much the same as today. We haven't had much rain of late and if it rains Tuesday like it did today, then play could stop and start all day. Melbourne Four Day Forecast

Tuesday
possible_shower.gif
Possible shower
High: 19
Low: 9
Dew point: 4
Humidity: 40%
Wind at 09:00: 14km/h, SSW
Wind at 15:00: 16km/h, S
Rain probability: 40% (
Wednesday
possible_shower.gif
Possible shower
High: 19
Low: 11
Dew point: 6
Humidity: 34%
Wind at 09:00: 8km/h, S
Wind at 15:00: 12km/h, S
Rain probability: 50% (
Thursday
drizzle_clearing.gif
Drizzle clearing
High: 20
Low: 12
Dew point: 5
Humidity: 31%
Wind at 09:00: 8km/h, S
Wind at 15:00: 13km/h, S
Rain probability: 40% (
Friday
mostly_sunny.gif
Mostly sunny
High: 24
Low: 12
Dew point: 6
Humidity: 31%
Wind at 09:00: 8km/h, SSE
Wind at 15:00: 15km/h, SSE
Rain probability: 10% (
Jeffers wont know what hit him with today's weather :drums

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Not the greatest test for me. England's lack of competitiveness cost me there as did Symonds last 4 runs. -23.87pts for the test which would have been a profit had Hayden made 4 more :wall Last test at Sydney begins on Tuesday (Monday night UK time) :ok

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 That was unlucky with Symonds making just a few more runs, though I guess Hayden should have been given LBW a long time beforehand, so I was quite thankful there. Tough luck there Kev, all those bets looked pretty good. Final game should be interesting, England won this test last time when they were down 4-0 in the series. I have KP antepost for most runs, so I'll sacrifice a clean sweep in order for Pietersen to lead you poms to victory.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Englands inept display has cost the ACB £1.2m in ticket refunds! Stayed up until 3.15am to watch that shite and as soon as KP went it was all over. Hats off to the Aussies, they are the true champs and I think its time our guys went back to the Palace and handed back their MBE's. Maybe a 5-0 whitewach is what they need to buck their ideas up for the summer. Needless to say i'm not looking forward to the ODI's let alone the World Cup in the New Year.

That was unlucky with Symonds making just a few more runs, though I guess Hayden should have been given LBW a long time beforehand, so I was quite thankful there. Tough luck there Kev, all those bets looked pretty good. Final game should be interesting, England won this test last time when they were down 4-0 in the series. I have KP antepost for most runs, so I'll sacrifice a clean sweep in order for Pietersen to lead you poms to victory.
Cheers mate, well done on Hayden btw. You're right, he could have been given LBW early doors and should really, as should Symonds when he was equally as plumb to Monty. I'm not making excuses but the standard of umpiring in this series, Koertzen especially, has been shocking. How he could give Cook not out to McGrath yesterday was unbelievable! I wish you luck on the KP bet mate. I'm on Ponting to beat him though so not too much luck! ;)

Cheers mate, well done on Hayden btw. You're right, he could have been given LBW early doors and should really, as should Symonds when he was equally as plumb to Monty. I'm not making excuses but the standard of umpiring in this series, Koertzen especially, has been shocking. How he could give Cook not out to McGrath yesterday was unbelievable! I wish you luck on the KP bet mate. I'm on Ponting to beat him though so not too much luck! ;)
Have to agree with you there to some extent Kev as Symonds should have been out there for one LBW I seen.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Looks like you were spot on the mark Kev :ok From local Melbourne paper today... Time for Rudi to draw Koertzen SHANE Warne and Glenn McGrath have opted to leave international cricket on their terms. Umpire Rudi Koertzen would be wise to do the same. Koertzen has been a fine servant of the game through 14 years, 80 Tests and 158 one-day internationals, but his performances in the third and, particularly, fourth Ashes Tests were nothing short of terrible. Yesterday's decision to knock back Glenn McGrath's lbw shout against Alastair Cook had the press box in hysterics after television replays showed the delivery would have hit halfway up middle stump. This was more plumb than mum's Christmas pudding, yet was not given out. If nothing else, South African Koertzen was consistent through the fourth Test -- consistently bad. Koertzen, 57, left England dumbfounded late on day one when Matthew Hayden twice escaped plumb lbw appeals by Matthew Hoggard, while Paul Collingwood twice survived strong shouts, off Stuart Clark and Andrew Symonds, in England's first innings. It's always a sign of an umpire lacking confidence when he gives too few decisions, rather than too many, and that's exactly what has happened to Koertzen, who has not been immune to major blunders through the years. Former Australian seamer Paul Reiffel was the reserve umpire in Melbourne. It's time to promote his ilk. West Indian Steve Bucknor and New Zealander Billy Bowden were excellent in Brisbane and Adelaide, but the umpiring standard has slipped since with Koertzen and Pakistani Aleem Dar, who was at the centre of some horrendous errors last summer, in charge. In fact, so bad has the umpiring been in recent seasons in Australia that Pakistan, the West Indies and South Africa have all lodged official complaints with the ICC. That says there is a major problem, and one that needs to be addressed urgently. What is disturbing is that the game's No. 1-ranked umpire, Australian Simon Taufel, cannot officiate in home Tests because of the neutral umpire rule. Perhaps it's time to revisit that. The idea of eliminating allegations of home bias has worked. Unfortunately, the standard of umpiring has not improved to the levels expected. Perhaps technology needs to be put to greater use. Allowing the third umpire to view footage of lbw appeals has been trialled with mixed results. Why not now give it an extended go? While most captains and senior umpires have said they want to keep the human element in the game, mistakes such as yesterday's are infuriating and can be eliminated at the press of a button. After all, the players, fans and umpires deserve the best, and the right call. I can't see why they cannot have video check to see if it is LBW or not, in these days of professionalism, and especially betting on the games, the decision needs to be correct, otherwise it affects the outcome of the game, particularly when Hayden and Symonds went on to make so many runs.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 I have to say even though I'm English and Taufel's Australian, I think he should be allowed to umpire in these series. The series pits together the best 2 teams in world cricket (not that you'd think that with our performances this series!!) and they should be umpired by the best umpire wherever he's from. Taufel's head and shoulders above the rest with Bucknor and Bowden next in line. I'd be more than happy to have them 3 officiating and getting decisions correct.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Good luck with your bets Steve :ok Been reported here today that Justin Langer has now announced his retirement. Speaking with Jeffers here last night, it appears that the English cricketers were on the grog as soon as the last test finished. He was really disappointed with their professionalism, and I tend to agree with him. It's as like they don't give a stuff.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Only one bet so far but there will be more. Player Performance of Adam Gilchrist: 115pts and Over @ 1.83 (Bet 365) Gillie has a big fifty or a century at the SCG in his past 3 games. Furthermore, Sydney is known for being a spinner's pitch and I think we may well see a stumping or two, with Collingwood, Flintoff and Pietersen prime canditates. As always, the situation may arise where Australia seek quick runs, which will also help our cause. Strength: 7/10

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2006/07 Going to add Panesar over 91pts as well. As just said, it's a spinners pitch and I think he'll manage 4 wickets here, providing the Poms make Australia bat twice, which I think will happen. A catch or some runs should buy us 11pts, so 4 wickets is all I'm hoping he'll need to take.

Only one bet so far but there will be more. Player Performance of Adam Gilchrist: 115pts and Over @ 1.83 (Bet 365) Gillie has a big fifty or a century at the SCG in his past 3 games. Furthermore, Sydney is known for being a spinner's pitch and I think we may well see a stumping or two, with Collingwood, Flintoff and Pietersen prime canditates. As always, the situation may arise where Australia seek quick runs, which will also help our cause. Strength: 7/10
Sound reasoning Oscar :ok Good effort last Test too with your Matt Hayden bet :clap