Boxing - Woods v Johnson, Toney v Peter

Clinton Woods v Glen Johnson Clinton Woods 39-3-1 24KO's v Glen Johnson 44-10-2 29KO's Woods is defending his IBF belt against Johnson and this will be the third meeting of the two. The first fight in November 2003 ended in a draw and the second fight in February 2004 saw Johnson take a unanimous decision. Johnson defended the IBF belt once against Roy Jones before giving it up to fight Antonio Tarver. Woods won the belt after an impressive fifth round knockout win over holder Rico Hoye in 2005 and has defended it twice. In his first defence Woods was excellent in a unanimous points win over Gonzalez, who holds a 10-round decision over Johnson, in his next defence Woods defeated DeLisle in six rounds. Woods has excellent strength and stamina and a great jab, his combinations are quick and he has got a great chin, he has only been floored twice and got up to stop both of them. Woods looks to be getting better with age and Johnson getting worse, I think Johnson will start to tire by the late rounds and Woods can take advantage of this. I think Woods can get the victory and I think it will be in the late rounds or on points. Clinton Woods 10/10 @ 1.96 pinnacle James Toney v Samuel Peter James "Lights Out" Toney 69-4-2 43KO's v Samuel "The Nigerian Nightmare" Peter 26-1-0 22KO's WBC Title Eliminator from Los Angeles. Toney is by far the more experienced boxer and has fought much more quality of opponents throughout the years. James has fought Roy Jones,Holyfield,Rahman,Ruiz to name a few. Toney also has the better boxing skills and is a former Middleweight,Super Middleweight and Cruiserweight world champion. Peter has basic skills and will look to try and hit Toney with a knockout blow, Toney will go to the body and counter Peter, Toney has a hard chin only being knocked down once in his career. I think Toney can take Peter to school, Peter has the power but I think Toney will give him a boxing lesson. I think this will probably go the distance with Toney winning on points. James Toney 10/10 @ 2.14 pinnacle

Re: Boxing - Woods v Johnson, Toney v Peter I did a write up for these exact two fights yesterday and lost them when firefox crashed:( I agree with much of what you say, especially with the Toney/Peter contest. Saying Peter has basic skills is a great overstatement. He has zero skill and simply relies on his massive punch, which can't in fact be that massive or he would have knocked the glass jawed Wlad Kitschko out. Especially after having him down about 5 times. I agree completely that Toney will just look to stay out of his way and counter and most likely take the fight comfortably on points, setting up a title fight, most likely with Valuev (due to its little/large freakshow appeal) who he should also be able to outpoint comfortably. The Woods/Johnson fight is more difficult to call. Neither is really world class IMO, despite Johnson ludicrously appearing on some P4P lists over the last couple of years. He's really nothing more than a solid journeyman IMO. Troubling thing for me is that he's been in with a much better class of fighter than Woods, DeLisle has a very questionable record and I'm not convinced about Hoye or Gonzalez either, although as you rightly say Woods appears to be on an upward curve whilst this probably isn't true of Johnson. Neither really has great knockout power and it will almost certainly go to points, but IMO it could really go either way especially with Woods having home advantage. So I'm leaving this alone. Just one bet for me then: Toney on [email protected]

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.