Australian A-League Round 1

Here are the odds for this weekend, Adelaide won the pre-season cup with Central Coast second: I will do a wrap next week of the offseason goings on Friday 25 August 2006
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="center">sp.gifBPP
Melbourne Victory v Adelaide Utd (11:00 BST)2.663.302.60107% Related markets...Match Result
Saturday 26 August 2006
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="center">sp.gifBPP
Queensland Roar v Perth Glory (10:00 BST)1.963.003.00118% Related markets...Match Result
Sunday 27 August 2006
New Zealand Knights v Newcastle United Jets (05:00 BST)2.663.002.12119% Related markets...Match Result
Sydney v Central Coast Mariners (07:00 BST)1.603.004.00121% Related markets...Match Result

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Melbourne V Adelaide: Here is the story, Melbourne have a host of new Brazillian players, ex-dundee player Grant Brebner and have had by far the longest and most intense pre-season after their 7th place last season. However Melbourne have failed to score a single goal against Adelaide, ever. In the pre-season Melbourne had all of the running in their match and lost 1-0. Adelaide will be coming off a great pre-season win against Central Coast and have a few players returning. As it is opening weekend and a Melbourne home game infront of a full house (and it's going to be bloody wet and cold here) I am going to go for some cover and tip against my beloved Melbourne and take Adelaide at the Draw No Bet that is offering $1.90 here in Aus, good value for a bit of cover early in the season. Going for 10 points here.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Yeah guys I'm in Australia, Melbourne, The brazillians are good fottballers from the matches I have seen so far, one is an attacking left back Aleesandro, he is by far the best of our new signings, a very dominant player who brings others into the game, when we play a back four with a traditional sweeper he gets good coverage to run the lines up the left and provide some flair and service to the central players. Fred and Claudinho are strikers, however Fred seems to like to sit in the hole behind our big striker Danny Allsop (this guy could not score in a brothel last year, but his luck is looks to have changed thus far in 2006) and deliver the ball into the 18 yard box. Claudinho is a run at the defenders attacker, plenty of flair and tallent, both Fred and Claudinho are taking a while to adjust to the physicality of the game and the lack of space that is afforded to attacking players out here, both are also struggling a bit with the weather too, it's cold as. Grant Brebner is our other key signing, he likes to sit back in midfield and direct the play, he is good over the dead ball but is playing the same role as captain Kevin Muscat and when they are on together they seem to counter each other out of the game a bit. With Soccerroos Archie Thompson and Kristian Sarkies in the squad Melbourne always look dangerous but struggle to get the scores on the board most of the time, it's either going to be a stellar season or another one of 'what could have been' down here.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Good review Miguel and look forward to your future posts regards the A League. I didn't get to follow the A League as much as I liked last year so will be fun to swap thoughts with those more knowledgable than myself until I can offer some thoughts of my own. Think the cover on Adelaide is good thinking too, cheers!

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Previous results for Adelaide and Melbourne in A League first season last year Round 3 Adelaide United 1-0 Melbourne Victory Round 10 Melbourne Victory 0-1 Adelaide United Round 17 Adelaide United 1-0 Melbourne Victory Previous history suggest a low scoring affair but it is the first round of a new season and anything can happen.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Great reviews guys. I can see the melbourne match tonight being a close one as the history suggests. Although i cant see Melbourne losing this one. While Adelaides away from was good last year, I just cant see them scoring alot of goals. Their defence is what carried them last year, while Melbournes main problem was scoring goals. But, chuck in a few Brazillian players and add them to the likes of Archie Thompson & Kristian Sarkies and you now have a very good attack. Last year Melbourne created alot of oportunities but just couldnt convert goals and i believe this problem has been rectified with these signings. Still, Adelaides defence will be hard to break which brings the strong possibility of a draw here, perhaps a 0-0 or 1-1, but Melbourne also have a good defence. Have to admit Melbournes record against Adelaide is worrying, which is why i think a draw would also be a good bet here. But Melbourne will turn it on tonight in the season opener in front of their home fans and steal a win over the preseason favourites. So in conclusion, i think Melbourne to win 1-0 with a cover bet of 0-0 or 1-1 Cheers, Adam

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Hi guys the market for ht/ft has just gone up here, short notice but the draw/adelaide is a good tip at $5.50, they are a great counter attack side and while the first half will be full of excitment I can see the scores being even as both teams keep numbers behind the ball. Melbourne have scored 0 against Adelaide ever, so 1 here will be great but I can not see it coming easily.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 2.12 for the Jets to win in Auckland, must be the price of the season. The knights were the worst team in this league by a huge margin, they haven't looked good pre season and have a massive injury crsis

The club carries enough baggage to weigh down the strongest Sherpas and while losing does nothing to convince sceptics the Knights will be no different this season from last, the fact the coach lost a handful of players to injury did nothing to improve his mood. Noah Hickey was stretchered off with a knee injury, Portuguese striker Dani Rodrigues limped off when he "popped" his hamstring, while skipper Darren Bazeley and striker Sean Devine both soldiered on with ankle injuries. To compound matters, defender Frank van Eijs was sent off for two bookable offences and will miss Sunday's A-League opener against Newcastle and defender Matt Carbon will be absent with a groin injury. The worst-case scenario is that Nevin could have only 14 players fit to face Newcastle - and three of those could be goalkeepers. It is for this reason that Danny Milosevic's predicament is something of a headache for Nevin. Three goalkeepers in a squad of 20 is far from ideal and the Knights boss would love to bring in another much-needed striker to give the squad more balance, particularly after scoring only three goals in six pre-season games.
The Jets have a full strength team,
A near full strength Jets squad have made the trip across the Tasman today to take on the New Zealand Knights in the opening round of the Hyundai A-League. It will be a home coming for two of the players, Vaughan Coveny and Steven Old, but both are ready to take on friends as foes this weekend. “I am here to represent the Jets. I get paid to do the job for Newcastle and that is what I will do against the Knights,” said Vaughan today. “Joel Griffiths has only played one full game for us but Mark Bridge has been in great form. I’m looking forward to creating some good combinations with them both in Auckland.” “I have many friends who will be over there to watch me, and I will catch up with them after the match, but until then, I have a job to do,” he said. Fresh from New Zealand national duty, Steven Old has been rushed into the squad for an injured Jade North, still recovering from a knee injury sustained whilst playing against Kuwait. Coveny is excited at the prospect of fellow New Zealander, Old, playing his first A-League game on Sunday. “He’s a young, highly rated up and coming player and coaches have high expectations of him. He’s very capable and doesn’t look out of place in the national squad,” said Coveny. The Jets will also be looking to improve on their pre-season defensive record. “Our defence is certainly looking better this week. Paul Okon is extremely fit and Andrew Durante is back from injury, together with Ben Kennedy in goals we will be strong,” said Coach Nick Theodorakopoulos. “Joel Griffiths, Vaughan Coveny, Mark Bridge and Tolgay Ozbey will create some nightmares for our opposition this year, starting with New Zealand,” said Nick.
Screams away win to me

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Home support for the Knights is dreadful, last year it started at about 6,000 but by the end of the season, it had fallen to about 2,000. Kiwis as a rule, don't support losing teams. If the Ab's were sh!t no one would watch them. They play at North Harbour Stadium, which is a bit out of the way for most aucklanders. Games are badly scheduled, last year they seemed to be planned for Aussie TV. So in short, home support isn't a factor, the stands at north harbour are far from the pitch, and it seems just to a bunch of kids with high pitched voices. If they start winning though, the crowds will flock there.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Melbourne Victory 1 - 0 Adelaide Utd at half time 29m K. Muscat (pen.) Entertaining first game of the A League season with Adelaide starting off solidly and again very strong defensively. Melbourne with Archie Thompson starting to get into the play and new Brazilians Alessandro and Fred playing with a lot of flair started to gain control at around the 15 min mark. Allesandros's skill resulted in a penalty for Melbourne which was taken by Muscat and never in doubt for the opening goal, incidently, Melbournes first ever goal against Adelaide. Melbourne missed a couple of very gettable chances, and Dodd missed a sitter for Adelaide just before half time. All in all a great game and Mellbourne should be up 3-1, they are in control at the moment.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 FT: Melbourne Victory 2 - 0 Adelaide Utd 29m K. Muscat (pen.) 78m Claudinho Uninspiring second half after Fred and Allessandrio went off just after half time. Adelaide had most of the possession in the 2nd half but never really looked like scoring against Melbourne's tight defence. The Victory took its chances and deserved the win as they always looked dangerous when going into attack. Claudinho another Brazilian came on as a substitute and finished nicely to score the 2nd goal. Conclusions: Melbourne Victory look to have an exciting season ahead if they can keep it up and once they learn to gel as a team Adelaide Utd will win there share of games as their defence is strong and ball movement is quite good, and they will no doubt find the net more often than not Good win by Melbourne

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Queensland Roar v Perth Glory Date: Saturday August 26 Kick-off (local time): 7.00pm Venue: Suncorp Stadium Head-to-head Three league meetings: Queensland - 1 win, Perth - 1 win, 1 draw Previous meeting Perth 0 Queensland 2 (Members Equity Stadium, Hyundai A-League round 17, January 2006) Last five results Queensland: Draw - Draw - Draw - Draw - Win Perth: Draw - Draw - Loss - Win - Loss Last season in A League Round 3 Perth Glory 2-1 Queensland Roar Round 10 Queensland Roar 0-0 Perth Glory Round 17 Perth Glory 0-2 Queensland Roar Analysis Perth Glory will face a daunting prospect when they hit the road for the fourth consecutive week to tackle the Queensland Roar. With injury and illness sweeping through the camp, new coach Ron Smith has had precious little time to mould his new-look side and is sure to encounter a passionate Roar outfit desperate to prove a point at Suncorp Stadium. Miron Bleiberg is expected to field six debutants from his expansive off-season recruitment drive including strikers Ante Milicic and Simon Lynch and playmaker Marcus Wedau in the midfield. Milicic has recovered from illness to take his place and Brazilian frontman Reinaldo is in the frame to retain his spot upfront after scoring last weekend. Yuning Zhang is yet to arrive back in Brisbane from China. Goalkeeper Liam Reddy appears to have won the battle for the number one jersey with Tom Willis after Bleiberg rotated the pair during pre-season. Fellow Roar debutant Andrew Packer will attempt to keep Glory marquee man Stan Lazaridis quiet on Queensland's right-hand side. Perth welcomes back Simon Colosimo from a knee ligament injury after he played just 22 minutes in the Hyundai A-League Pre-Season Cup. Fellow midfielders David Micevski (flu) and Adrian Webster (hamstring) will also make the trip to Queensland. Bobby Despotovski has a long-term back complaint so Glory head coach Ron Smith will have to rely on veteran Stuart Young, Naum Sekulovski and 22-year-old debutant Mislav Saric for goals. Former Roar defender Tyler Simpson, who made just three starts for the Queenslanders last year, retains his place in the Glory squad after signing a short-term deal last week but Ryan Townsend (back), Jamie Coyne (abdominal) and Josip Magdic (flu) are all unavailable. Squads Queensland Roar: 1. Tom WILLIS (gk), 2. Andrew PACKER, 4. Chad GIBSON (captain), 5. Josh McCLOUGHAN, 7. Marcus WEDAU, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 9. Simon LYNCH, 10. Ante MILICIC, 11. REINALDO 15. Matthew McKAY, 16. Hyuk-Su SEO, 18. Dario VIDOSIC, 19. Sasa Ognenovski, 20. Liam REDDY (gk), 21. Steve FITZSIMMONS Perth Glory: 20. Aleks VRTESKI (gk), 3. David TARKA, 4. Simon COLOSIMO, 5. Jamie HARNWELL (captain), 6. Jeremy CHRISTIE, 7. Mislav SARIC, 8. David MICEVSKI, 11. Stan LAZARIDIS, 12. Leo BERTOS, 13. Ante KOVACEVIC, 16. Adrian WEBSTER, 17. Stuart YOUNG, 18. Josip MAGDIC, 19. Naum SEKULOVSKI, 23. Tyler SIMPSON, 30. Andrew CREWS (gk)

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 New Zealand Knights v Newcastle Jets Date: Sunday August 27 Kick-off (local time): 5.00pm Venue: North Harbour Stadium Head-to-head Three league meetings: Newcastle - 3 wins Previous meeting New Zealand 1 Newcastle 1 (North Harbour Stadium, Pre-Season Cup round one, July 2006) Last five results New Zealand: Draw - Draw - Loss - Loss - Loss Newcastle: Loss - Draw - Loss - Loss - Loss Last season in A League Round 4 Newcastle Jets 1-1 NZ Knights Round 11 NZ Knights 2-4 Newcastle Jets Round 18 Newcastle Jets 3-0 NZ Knights Analysis They may be coming off the back of three successive defeats in the Hyundai A-League Pre-Season Cup but Sunday's clash with Newcastle provides the New Zealand Knights a timely opportunity to record a first-ever league win at home. The Jets are equally out-of-sorts following a disrupted pre-season of transfer wrangles including the departures of Liam Reddy, Ante Milicic and Ned Zelic and the subsequent arrivals of Joel Griffiths, Paul Okon and Milton Rodriguez. Griffiths, although not fully fit by his own admission, is in the frame for his full league debut after managing 90 minutes two weeks ago in Newcastle's disappointing semi-final defeat to a depleted Sydney side. But his Colombian strike partner - who will be known as Milton in the forthcoming campaign - will not be making his debut as he's yet to receive immigration clearance. Jets coach Nick Theodorakopoulos, who wants to build a passing team this season, is expected to continue playing three at the back with the most likely candidates Paul Okon, Jade North and Andrew Durante. All White international Steven Old only arrived in Newcastle on Monday after New Zealand's overseas tour of Europe but will the trip to his homeland. The Knights, who missed out on signing Old as well as compatriot Vaughan Coveny, have their own defensive concerns with new signing Matt Carbon out with a groin injury and Frank Van Eijs suspended. Captain Darren Bazeley twisted an ankle against the Roar last Friday but is in the squad. Gregory Duruz and Jonas Salley have been included after being omitted last week as a precaution but Paul Nevin's woes continue with Dani Rodriguez (hamstring) and Noah Hickey (knee) missing. Hickey, one of only two Knights to have started all six Hyundai A-League Pre-Season games, was stretchered off after 10 minutes against Queensland but is expected to return within a fortnight. Squads New Zealand Knights: 2. Darren BAZELEY (captain), 3. Greg DURUZ, 4. Che BUNCE, 6. Neil EMBLEN, 7. Richard JOHNSON, 8. Scot GEMMILL, 10. Sean DEVINE, 11. Jonti RICHTER, 12. Mark PASTON (gk), 13. Jonas SALLEY, 14. Malik BUARI, 16. Adam CASEY, 18. Michael WHITE, 19. Sime KOVACEVIC, 20. Michael TURNBULL (gk) Newcastle Jets: 20. Ben KENNEDY (gk) 6.Andrew DURANTE , 8.Matt THOMPSON, 9.Vaughan COVENY , 10.Nick CARLE, 12.Paul OKON (captain),, 13.Adam D’APUZZO, 14.Jobe WHEELHOUSE, 15.Stuart MUSIALIK, 16.Labinot HALITI, 17.Tolgay OZBEY, 18.Joel GRIFFITHS, 19.Mark BRIDGE, 22.Stephen OLD, 23.Shane WEBB

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Sydney FC v Central Coast Mariners Date: Sunday August 27 Kick-off (local time): 5.00pm Venue: Aussie Stadium Head-to-head Four league meetings: Sydney - 2 wins, Central Coast - 1 win, 1 draw Previous meeting Sydney 1 Central Coast 0 (Aussie Stadium, Hyundai A-League grand final, March 2006) Last five results Sydney: Win - Draw - Win - Loss - Win Central Coast: Draw - Win - Draw - Win - Draw Last Season in A League Round 4 Sydney FC 2-3 CC Mariners Round 11 CC Mariners 1-5 Sydney FC Round 18 Sydney FC 1-1 CC Mariners Analysis The much-discussed return of Sydney's Dwight Yorke has set the tone during the build-up to this grand final rematch at Aussie Stadium. Yorke, who was assigned as Sydney's on-field captain this week, is expected to be fit following a delayed return from the World Cup finals and a groin injury which set the Trinidad and Tobago star back another three weeks. He has been named in coach Terry Butcher's provisional 17-man squad for the visit of the Central Coast Mariners on Sunday alongside Alvin Ceccoli, who returns from a one-match ban, and a quartet of Sydney's Qantas Socceroo contingent. David Carney, Alex Brosque, Mark Milligan and Steve Corica - whose clinical finish separated the sides in last season's showpiece decider - all return after national team duty. One player not rested last weekend was Sasho Petrovski, the striker with three Hyundai A-League Pre-Season Cup goals and the Qantas Socceroos' winner in the Asian Cup qualifier against Kuwait to his name already this season. Petrovski led a highly experimental Sydney line-up to a convincing 2-0 win over the Jets in last week's third-place playoff, an ominous sign for the rest of the league including Lawrie McKinna's in-form Mariners. McKinna's men make the short journey to Sydney - one of five away matches in the opening seven rounds - without the services of John Crawley (hip), Nick Mrdja (knee), Nigel Boogaard (Osteitis Pubis) and Matthew Osman (back). But the Scotsman welcomes back Tom Pondeljak after eight weeks on the sidelines with a groin problem, Paul O'Grady from suspension and also includes striker John Hutchinson following a serious knee ligament injury. Hutchinson, who scored six times in seven starts last season, played 20 minutes as an extra-time substitute against Adelaide United in the Hyundai A-League Pre-Season Cup final after seven months out although Adam Kwasnik is expected to retain his berth upfront. Squads Sydney FC: 1. Clint BOLTON (gk), 2. Iain FYFE, 3. Alvin CECCOLI, 4. Mark RUDAN, 6. Ufuk TALAY, 7. Robbie MIDDLEBY, 9. David ZDRILIC, 10. Steve CORICA, 11. Sasho PETROVSKI, 12. David CARNEY, 13. Jeremy BROCKIE, 14. Alex BROSQUE, 15. Terry MCFLYNN, 16. Mark MILLIGAN, 19 Dwight YORKE (captain), 20. Justin PASFIELD, 21. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY. (Two to be omitted) Central Coast Mariners: 20. Danny VUKOVIC (gk), 2. Wayne O'SULLIVAN, 3. Paul O'GRADY, 4. Noel SPENCER (captain), 5. Bradley PORTER, 6.Andre GUMPRECHT, 7. John HUTCHINSON, 8. Jamie McMASTER, 10. Tom PONDELJAK, 11. Damien BROWN, 12. Stewart PETRIE, 13. Tony VIDMAR, 14. Vuko TOMASEVIC, 15. Andrew CLARK, 18. Alex WILKINSON, 19. Adam KWASNIK, 30. Matthew TROTT (gk) (Two to be omitted) Sydney FC coach Terry Butcher: "We have everyone, except for the long term injuries to Jacob Timpano and Ruben Zadkovich, available and ready to play. It means some people will have to miss out and I have some tough choices but that is my job. It is better to be in this situation than having a whole lot of unavailable players. We have 17 fit and available and I will narrow it down to 15 for the squad and then the starting 11 on Sunday." Central Coast Mariners coach Lawrie McKinna: "If we stay injury free for the first few rounds, we should have a full squad to choose from in about one month, which is a good result considering the bad luck we've had during pre-season. There are a few pleasant selection headaches on the horizon and that can only be positive for our overall performance and competition for places within the squad."

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Watched the Melbourne-Adelaide myself and they looked the goods Melbourne. That Allessandro added alot of pace off the backline and really got them coming forward, melbourne created alot of chances and could quite easily have won by more if it werent for a strong defensive effort by Adelaide.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Queensland Roar V Perth Glory tonight

Last season in A League Round 3 Perth Glory 2-1 Queensland Roar Round 10 Queensland Roar 0-0 Perth Glory Round 17 Perth Glory 0-2 Queensland Roar

Queensland Roar pre season/last 3 at home

Aug 06, 2006 Queensl. Roar 0 – 0 CC Mariners

Jul 22, 2006 Queensl. Roar 1 – 1 NZ Knights

Jul 15, 2006 Queensl. Roar 1 – 2 Sydney FC

Perth Glory pre season/last 3 away

Aug 11, 2006 Newcastle Jets 0 – 1 Perth Glory

Aug 06, 2006 Sydney FC 3 – 0 Perth Glory

Jul 15, 2006 CC Mariners 2 - 1 Perth Glory

On past performances this game could go anyway, and without ever seeing either side before I can only go on facts and figures. I'm not betting on the game in any way, shape, or form but lean towards a home victory for the Roar by a single goal, or a 0-0/1-1 draw, as both teams have similar pre season form, with the Roar having 2 good home efforts against the Mariners and Sydney. Perth Glory had 5 - 4 - 1 away record last season which is quite good. Both these teams will be bottom half of table and have different teams to last year, be interesting to see how the game pans out.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 HT: Queensland Roar 0 - 0 Perth Glory Nil all at half time with both sides having clear chances to score but a clear lack of finishing skill put paid to any goals. The start of this game was a bit of a carbon copy of last nights season opener in Melbourne without the class or skill. The Roar started like a house on fire early creating a few chances and looking generally dangerous until Perth reeled them in actually took control of the game. Both sides have made many unforced errors and are not in the class of either Melbourne or Adelaide. Game probably should be 1-1 but it's not and I don't think there is going to be a goal fest in the 2nd half.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Been watching the game myself beejay. Quite dull up to about 75 minutes then Queensland went absolutely haywire scoring about 3 goals in as many minutes. By the looks of this Queensland could trouble a few of the top teams this season, but i dont believe they have the squad to take them to the top 4 and a finals birth. Their defence looks tight. On the other hand, Perth could be in for a long year. A lapse of concerntration score them concede 3 quick goals and i believe this will be the story of their season. They never look threatening when attacking and it will be their undoing

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 FT: Queensland Roar 3 - 0Perth Glory 80m S. Lynch 83m D. Vidosic 85m S. McLaren Agree Adam and I feel superior fitness won it for Queensland as they dominated the last 20 minutes and Perth looked very tired and made a couple of tired mistakes that led to 3 quick goals in the space of 5 minutes. Both sides again had clear scoring chances during the 2nd half but it was the 2 Roar subs Vidosic and McClaren along with Lynch who scored and the Roar finished the game off nicely. The score didnt justify the efforts of Perth who had plenty of drive from Stan Laziridis down the left, and Bertos(midfield) and Harnwell(defence) were solid, they need to find a finisher for their efforts and get the squad fit to play 90 minutes. Queensland came alive at the 70min mark and showed great spirit to score 3 quick goals, with great debut from Brazilian Reinaldo and promising displays from Vidosic and Milicic. The Roar will trouble some of the higher teams if they have their mind on the job and can improve their skill level. Conclusions: Queensland Roar will be happy with the win but the scoreline flattered them, although they missed goals they should have got too and they played the game right out and was fair first up effort. They also have new Chinese International arriving this week which will add more to their squad. Heinaldo will improve as the season progresses along with a few others and signs are good for the Roar. Perth Glory have solid defender in Hartwell, a fit Lazaridis to look forward to as his service on the left is exceptional at times, and new recruits will take time to settle as a team before we see anything of substance. Perth will need to make the most of their chances against the better sides though, as thier lapses in concentration will result in goals for the higher teams.

Jets Can Soar Down Under JETS CAN SOAR DOWN UNDER

Newcastle United Jets travel to New Zealand Knights early on Sunday morning (BST) to get their respective Australian A-League campaigns underway.
Last season was little short of disastrous for the Kiwis, who finished well adrift at the foot of the eight team table, with just one victory and six points from their 21 matches. By contrast, Newcastle finished fourth, with their away form actually being better than their home record, losing just twice in 10 games on the road. Further reason to back the visitors is that the Knights are struggling for numbers in this game, with their ranks depleted by injury and suspension. The 6-5 available with >Bet365 on the Newcastle Jets victory looks very good value. New Zealands Knight v Newcastle Jets: Newcastle Jets at 6-5 with >Bet365. Andy sportingways.com

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 New Zealand Knights Vs Newcastle Jets Past matches Jul 16, 2006 NZ Knights 1 - 1 Newcastle Jets Jan 13, 2006 Newcastle 3 - 0 NZ Knights Nov 04, 2005 NZ Knights 2 - 4 Newcastle Jets Sep 18, 2005 Newcastle 4 - 0 NZ Knights NZ Knights last 3 at home Jul 29, 2006 A-League NZ Knights 0 - 0 Sydney FC Jul 16, 2006 A-League NZ Knights 1 - 1 Newcastle Jets Jan 28, 2006 A-League NZ Knights 1 - 1 Adelaide Utd Newcastle Jets last 3 away Aug 12, 2006 CC Mariners 1 - 1 Newcastle Jets Jul 22, 2006 Sydney FC 2 - 1 Newcastle Jets Jul 16, 2006 NZ Knights 1 - 1 Newcastle Jets Newcastle have won 3 of the four meetings so far between these two teams and the Jets lost only 2 games on the road last season whereas the Knights didn't win at home. The most recent match between these 2 was July 16th and resulted in a 1-1 draw and pre season form indicates it may be a similar result today. Both sides have shown ok form in the pre season especially against the better sides, and from recent stats the Jets should score at least one goal and the Knights may score one, so while I am not betting I am thinking this will most likely result in a low scoring draw or an away win to the Jets. History suggests a bet over 2.5 goals would be profitable, but recent form would suggest under 2.5 goals, so common sense would say bet on neither.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Sydney FC Vs CC Mariners Past matches Mar 05, 2006 Sydney FC 1 - 0 CC Mariners Jan 14, 2006 Sydney FC 1 - 1 CC Mariners Nov 05, 2005 CC Mariners 1 - 5 Sydney FC Sep 16, 2005 Sydney FC 2 - 3 CC Mariners Jul 30, 2005 CC Mariners 0 - 2 Sydney FC May 15, 2005 CC Mariners 0 - 1 Sydney FC Sydney most recent at Home Aug 11, 2006 Sydney FC 1 - 2 Adelaide Utd Aug 06, 2006 Sydney FC 3 - 0 Perth Glory Jul 22, 2006 Sydney FC 2 - 1 Newcastle Jets CC Mariners most recent away Aug 06, 2006 Queensl. Roar 0 - 0 CC Mariners Jul 29, 2006 Melb. Victory 1 - 3 CC Mariners Sydney 7-5-1 were hard to beat at home last season and Mariners 6-6-2 were hard to beat away which makes for an interesting encounter. From all reports Sydney has almost a full list to choose from and there is quite the battle for places with many socceroos in the Sydney squad, so you think the players would be hard at it trying to cement a regular spot in the A League's top side. The Mariners early season form is quite good and they can be expected to take it up to Sydney but something is telling me it will be a 2-0 home win to Sydney, although having said that, Sydney have only beaten the Mariners 1 from three at home, so that is food for thought.