Made Flush... Now how to make it pay?

Valiant23

This is the first hand that I got involved in, and quite early because lemanse took 3 players out first hand with QJos, beating AA, KK, and 99. I kid you not. Here is the summary of that hand; lemanse: shows [Jc Qh] (three of a kind, Jacks) mtc722: shows [Ad Ah] (two pair, Aces and Jacks) Bankerchyck: shows [Kh Kd] (two pair, Kings and Jacks) karlvizvary: shows [9d 9h] (two pair, Jacks and Nines) Anyway;

PokerStars Game #6015264870: Tournament #30471516, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2006/08/22 - 20:00:22 (ET) Table '30471516 1' 10-max Seat #1 is the button Seat 1: 123bfly (1415 in chips) Seat 3: savrose1 (1870 in chips) Seat 4: lemanse (5800 in chips) is sitting out Seat 5: birdie88 (1990 in chips) Seat 8: pero negro (1045 in chips) Seat 9: Valiant23 (1470 in chips) Seat 10: CurrlyMoe (1410 in chips) savrose1: posts small blind 15 lemanse: posts big blind 30 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to Valiant23 [Ks Js] birdie88: folds pero negro: folds Valiant23: calls 30 CurrlyMoe: folds 123bfly: calls 30 savrose1: calls 15 lemanse: folds *** FLOP *** [4s Qs 7s] savrose1: bets 90 Valiant23:????????

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? Call and let him make the running. If he checks later on you bet 200 so he thinks you are stealing the pot. If he had ace flush would he be betting it? I wouldn't! Of course things get scary if a fourth spade hits but this is poker after all!

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? With people limping into the pot there's a horrible chance that the 5 and 6 of spades could be out there.It's early in the game and I would just call his bet down till the river and see what he was playing with.Then gun him down next time.

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? just call an hope he puts you on the flush draw, hits his two pair or trips on the turn and he shoves if he bets 90/120 on the turn then min raise him and if the diamond hits and he shoves - then call - if he has the ace you are unlucky Damo

This is the first hand that I got involved in, and quite early because lemanse took 3 players out first hand with QJos, beating AA, KK, and 99. I kid you not. Here is the summary of that hand; lemanse: shows [Jc Qh] (three of a kind, Jacks) mtc722: shows [Ad Ah] (two pair, Aces and Jacks) Bankerchyck: shows [Kh Kd] (two pair, Kings and Jacks) karlvizvary: shows [9d 9h] (two pair, Jacks and Nines) Anyway;

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? Well I had him on Q 10. I didn't discount trip 4 or 7's because the flop bet to me looked like a 'feeler', to see if anyone else fancied playing a flushed board. Often I see players have a stab at taking pots like this uncontested when they have nothing, similarly when the flop is paired (eg. 5, K, 5).

123bfly: folds *** TURN *** [4s Qs 7s] [Jd] savrose1: bets 150 Valiant23:??????
What now? :unsure Incidentally, I posted this hand history because we know what to do when the flop hits and we're drawing, but it happens less often to have as good a hand as you're going to get after the first 3 cards.

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? You could debate a raise or call on the flop, eithers ok (if i flopped any a lower flush than Khi id defo be raising it). With Khi or Ahi flush its ok to call though as long as the pots fairly small. But you gota raise the turn now, 450 in the pot, its ok to win right now. If he folds still a decent pot and if he has the Ad or 2pair/set you have to make him pay to try and suck out no doubt about it. Bet 450-650 here imo. I like the 650 bet, thats what id do but I know a lot of people like to bet smaller in tournies (im a cash game player tbh).

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we stop saying that I am sure he has trips everyone always says this on an innocuous board if he has trips GREAT YOU ARE MILES AHEAD why does everyone always think the worst? sigh he prolly has a Q with a flush draw AT BEST Damo

Well I had him on Q 10. I didn't discount trip 4 or 7's because the flop bet to me looked like a 'feeler', to see if anyone else fancied playing a flushed board. Often I see players have a stab at taking pots like this uncontested when they have nothing, similarly when the flop is paired (eg. 5, K, 5). What now? :unsure Incidentally, I posted this hand history because we know what to do when the flop hits and we're drawing, but it happens less often to have as good a hand as you're going to get after the first 3 cards.

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? I called. Whether it was a good play or bad, I decided I wouldn't want to risk losing my shirt to an Ace-high 4 card flush. I felt I'd hooked a good 'un, maybe they were drawing to the straight, or even flopped 2 pair, which would explain the slight increase in the betting. So I called, and hoped to see anything other than another spade or a paired board.

*** TURN *** [4s Qs 7s] [Jd] savrose1: bets 150 Valiant23: calls 150 *** RIVER *** [4s Qs 7s Jd] [7h] savrose1: bets 270 Valiant23:?????????

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay? call call call call call call call call call call call call and just in case you weren't sure CALL Damo

I called. Whether it was a good play or bad, I decided I wouldn't want to risk losing my shirt to an Ace-high 4 card flush. I felt I'd hooked a good 'un, maybe they were drawing to the straight, or even flopped 2 pair, which would explain the slight increase in the betting. So I called, and hoped to see anything other than another spade or a paired board.

Re: Made Flush... Now how to make it pay?

savrose1: bets 270 Valiant23: raises 930 to 1200 and is all-in savrose1: calls 930 *** SHOW DOWN *** Valiant23: shows [Ks Js] (a flush, King high) savrose1: shows [3s Ts] (a flush, Queen high)
My read was absolutely shocking, but I would have been very unlucky to have lost to an Ace high flush in this situation, I think.