What a game

sensibleboy

Hi I have been playing poker online for a few years now and love the game (bar the bad beats etc). However, now Im starting to take it a bit more serious. Tonight I entered two small multi table tourneys for 3 quid. I came 2nd in the first and 3rd in the next and made a tidy profit of around £80. Not bad as there were only 50 players in the tourneys to start with. Im still not sure on some aspects of the game however. I watch poker on the tv alot and read alot of stuff about it. When reading about it alot of players are quoted to be a 3 to 1 dog or such, what does this mean? Also, how do you calculate your odds of winning the pot? ... especially when you cannot see your opponents hand, so basically you put him on a hand and have to calculate your chances? ... is that right? Also, what sort of tourneys does everyone prefer? I basically prefer multi table tourneys with around 20 to 50 people and also sit and go 6 seater tourneys. Thanks for reading and hope some of you can answer my questions and help me. Appreciated.

Re: What a game A "3 to 1 dog" means that you have a 25% chance of winning the hand and your opponent has a 75% chance. As an example - pre flop 77 is about a 4 to 1 dog to JJ. (Couldn't think of a 3-1 example, preflop....) Chances of winning the pot - typically you count your "outs" - the number of cards that you believe will win you the hand - so if you have the nut flush draw, then you know you have 9 outs - that means you have about a 36% chance of hitting with 2 cards to come and about an 18% chance of hitting with 1 card to come. If you are not sure if a card is an "out" for you, then you can count it as a fraction of an out (say 0.5 of an out) instead of a full out. What type of tourneys? I loooove huge value added tourneys!!!! Something like the Spin Palace $2000 added on Friday nights is superb - with about 130 entrants paying $10 + $1 each, the overlay is fantastic. From a social perspective I love the PL league games :-) Hope that helps a little......

Re: What a game

Also, what sort of tourneys does everyone prefer? I basically prefer multi table tourneys with around 20 to 50 people and also sit and go 6 seater tourneys.
At the risk of introducing another good player to it so I may never get into the points again,...... it sounds like Champions League on Sporting Odds would suit you. Generally around that number in each round, top 5 or 10 pay depending on number of entries, earn points towards monthly table where 20th upwards wins $25+, only $3+0.30 a crack. It's our Focus game on Tuesday so you'll see the link in the diary and there's a running thread keeping track of our positions. :ok