Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing?

Sheerluck Holmes

A bit of advice form you guy and guyettes would be great. Not been enjoying my poker on and off for a month now. I've been making ridiculous calls just to "get games over with" (wtf?) and find myself just not concentrating as my mind wanders all over the place. (Had a few domestic troubles too which can't have helped.) Been playing poker 'properly', solidly for a bout 6 months, was a newb before, now so have never felt the need to have a break before. . . Up until about a month ago i was happy with my progress, but now i'm thinking a break is definitely due. Maybe leave it til the start of august? Anyway, just wondering whether anyone else has had similar thoughts and what they did and how it worked out? Cheers, Lee

Re: Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing? Mate, I played through my dodgy spell, as I wanted to experience (:eyes) it, and saw it as a kind of mental examination, but in all honesty I truly, truly wish I'd taken a break. It got so bad for me that I felt as if I'd forgotten how to play poker, and even when I started to come out the other side, I still had terrible trouble with accepting bad beats (which is unlike me, really, no honestly it is!! ;)). If you're playing an STT that you wish you had never started, then really that is the best indicator that a break would be a good idea. Why not stop playing for profit, and play the odd freeroll, or 'gimmicky' tournies (like the Mansion WC triple chance thing)? Anyway, have a break, enjoy your summer, and come back when you want to, NOT at any specific time.

Re: Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing? true to any sport/game - if you're not up for it, you're not gonna do well - you may find that all you will do is concentrate on your play that you consider bad and it'll hammer your enjoyment/confidence further downwards. If there's something in you saying take a break, that sounds like more than a hint. On the positive side, if you take a break, you may find tht you enjoy it even more if you get the desire to play back. Good luck mate and remember theres always loads of us here willing to help.

Re: Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing? I think everyone goes through bad patches and taking a break is always a good idea. When I've taken breaks before, I normally make a clean break and forget all about the game, then when I decide to start again I normally read books just a few days before to get my mind sorted again.

Re: Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing? If you're not enjoying it there's no point playing it. Take a break and the chances are you'll get refreshed and at some point think "I really fancy a game of poker". One bad beat by some muppet and it'll be like you've never been away. It's interesting that a number of different people have come on recently and talked about taking a break - maybe the whole poker bubble is about to burst?

Re: Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing? I think that as we are all "PL nuts" we find it difficult to not join in whichever games/tourneys are on for the night as most enjoy the craic as much as winning. (well i do anyway :$). Some evenings can be as intense as 6 plus tourneys which means approx 8hr plus on the PC for some. If most average from 7pm - 11pm then that is still 28hrs a week of solid poker playing - :loon:loon:loon If you feel the need to ask if you need a break then the answer is most probably yes - have fun doing something else for a bit and when you get the urge to play again then it will be all the sweeter. :ok

Re: Taking a poker break - am i doing the right thing? Poker takes concentration (so i've heard) It's easier to concentrate on something you enjoy. Take a month off like i did - after a week i was wanting to get back to it, but it let me forget some of my habits - good and bad and i had to go back to basics, which seem to be working for me (don't quote me on that until after tonight's betfred game)