Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast

GaF

Interesting Podcast on Bankroll management, explaining how he turned £1 into $20,000!!! :loon :loon Have just listened to it briefly once so far, but the crux seems to be to only risk 5% of your bankroll on a (cash) table. If you double it, you get out......... SO he started on the 1c/2c tables and worked his way up........ As he says, you may not win $20,000, BUT you'll only lose $1 if you don't!!! http://i.fulltiltpoker.com/images/ourTeam/audio/Pod02-Jesus-Bankroll.mp3 Might have to have a PL challenge one evening!!! We'll start off with $10 and see how far someone can take that in say a 3 hour session!! You will have to post your own games (as they start) and results (at the end) and can only risk 5% of your bankroll per game..... Then again 3 hours isn't a lot - maybe we should run it over a week or something? (harder to track.....) What'ya think?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast Very nice. Ferguson's podcast has been around a fair while now. Turned the $5 that was given to me by Paradise Poker into $11.25 on the 1c/2c tables in around five hours play on Bank Holiday Monday (haven't played since though so it's probably a fluke). Not particularly great but hey, my cash game ability is even worse than my tournament ability! :$

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast I've been thinking about this for a while. Never really played cash but thought I'd like to try starting with $100 (10 x $10 buy ins at 5c/10c) and see how far I could get. Starting at lower stakes seems like a lot of hard work for little advantage. I was thinking of using pokerroom as it seems to be the only site I have that has lots of 10 handed tables.

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast Sounds good! I'm a big fan of Chris Ferguson. He's basically a math nerd (just like me ... although slightly better at poker :lol). Apparently the "ZZ Top" look was originally a calculated decision so that people would assume he wasn't an intellectual. I'd try it myself, except I don't think my follicles are up to the challenge :cry. Hmm, wig, maybe? Three hours sounds far too short a time for bankroll management skills to be relevant. I'd prefer a much longer period. Maybe a few months, with a maximum number of hours played, so that people with more time on their hands didn't have a big advantage. How about something like 6 months and a maximum of 100 hours? Start with $10, and each session you can play as many tables as you like ... any form of poker, but no freerolls or value added tournaments ... any site ... each session is rounded up to a whole number of hours ... you can switch between forms of poker within a session, so you can play a tournament if you want, and if that lasts 3 hours 10 minutes, then you can play cash tables for 50 minutes and count it as 4 hours. You can never have more than your current bankroll in play. I'm happy to trust people to be honest about it. If we start a thread, people could update with their progress from time to time: say at least once every 10 hours played?

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast from my experience the lower level cash tables are not the best.people will call to the river hoping to catch,the standard of play is pretty rubbish but even the worst players will catch,gets frustrating to say the least.

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast

from my experience the lower level cash tables are not the best.people will call to the river hoping to catch' date='the standard of play is pretty rubbish but even the worst players will catch,gets frustrating to say the least.[/quote'] Well, that means you have a higher expected profit but a greater variance. Exactly the kind of consideration where bankroll management skills are valuable!

Interesting Podcast on Bankroll management, explaining how he turned £1 into $20,000!!! :loon :loon Have just listened to it briefly once so far, but the crux seems to be to only risk 5% of your bankroll on a (cash) table. If you double it, you get out......... SO he started on the 1c/2c tables and worked his way up........
Does that mean his 'bankroll' was $5, and he played with $1? I'm guessing he did. Right - for me this is an experiment in cash. I have cash on several sites, but I'm going to just concentrate on the one for this purpose. Dream poker gave me a $10 'birthday present', so I'll go for it there. If that fails, I'll try with ipoker (Titan, cd, Betfred).

Does that mean his 'bankroll' was $5, and he played with $1? I'm guessing he did.
No. His initial bankroll was $1 and he played with 10c. Only because that was the minimum buy-in ... otherwise he'd have played with 5c. He did admit he went broke once (playing Omaha H/L), and started again.

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast I started on bluesquare last September with the sole aim of turning any winnings on a freeroll into $100. After a week or so I won $1 and I proceeded to build up the stakes until I had won around $70. About 2 months ago I went on tilt (I'm still not playing my best poker) and went as low as $20. I've steadily built up again and along with a $32 2nd place in the booster game, I'm now back up to $75. I don't play the site much as I'm concentrating elsewhere but I'm determined to get it to $100 some day (soon?) I'd be more than up for the challenge although I'm not much of a cash player. I've only 69p in my Betfred account. I'm going to try it from there. Betfred's suitable as well because they have cash and STT's from as low as 1 cent. I'll do a screen grab before I start the challenge and then one when I'm a millionaire...... or more likely skint.

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast I've been wondering about something like this for a while as well. CF obviously is talking about standardish bankroll management with the 5% - but I've been thinking that moving up cash tables rapidly is essentially the same as what you do in a tournament as blinds and stack increases. Except cash has the advantage that you can move down as well as up in accordance with your 'stack', so there might actually be more positive expectation playing cash games like tourneys than playing tourneys like tourneys. It's the golden rule that you're not supposed to play higher limits than you can absorb, but if it's an x or bust type deal where you accept the bust part, might be a rule to break....I'm not sure, but I'm up for giving it a try.

Well just started with $2.50 in a 0.05/0.10 game and doubled up after 5 hands so its a start. Starting bank $50. Current bank $52.56. Next buy in $2.83
Hey! That's not fair ... starting on the high limit tables!

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast I'll come up with something over the next few days, laying down a timescale and some "ground rules" ;) So if you want to be "comprable" - hang on for the moment ;)

from my experience the lower level cash tables are not the best.people will call to the river hoping to catch' date='the standard of play is pretty rubbish but even the worst players will catch,gets frustrating to say the least.[/quote'] Well, Chris Fergusson seemed to deal with them ok, so there must still be some skill in playing them ;)

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast OK, GaF. 6 months or so seems like a reasonable timescale to me, so maybe the end of the year would be a good finishing date? (Visions of 100 PLers staying in on New Years Eve in a desperate final fling.)

Well' date=' Chris Fergusson seemed to deal with them ok, so there must still be some skill in playing them ;)[/quote'] im sure he did,but to me the reward is not justified alongside the frustration of seeing the endless callers.in the long run a good player will come out on top,but my days of sitting in these rooms for ages to win a few dollars have passed. be interesting to see everyones results tho.g luck all.

OK, GaF. 6 months or so seems like a reasonable timescale to me, so maybe the end of the year would be a good finishing date? (Visions of 100 PLers staying in on New Years Eve in a desperate final fling.)
Am thinking of a significantly shorter time scale to start off with - a week or so - but we can run a longer one concurrently/just after......

Re: Chris "Jesus" Fergusson Podcast does this count? started off at 12 stone when i was a slip of a lad at 18, i gained 5% of my body weight for every weekend bender i have been on since then. i only drunk 5% of my body weight each time i now weigh in at a massive 16.5 stone! till i go for a dump, then it will be a round 16:D by the way, off out on the lash in a a bit! dt

Am thinking of a significantly shorter time scale to start off with - a week or so - but we can run a longer one concurrently/just after......
I think you might need to make it a while longer than a week or two Gaf, not everyone's time/tolerance will run over to the amount of poker that you and I can sometimes play