** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

ratings

hi, sorry to bother you... but i was wondering if someone could explain to me, how do you work out the ratings in a horse race??? :$ i was looking on the sporting life website and i was looking about but im still not sure :$ i was wondering if you could work it out on that??? if i knew how to work out the ratings propley - i might be able to come up with my own System :ok "well hopefully" i know i problely sound dumb :$ but ive only just got into betting on the horses & normally get my tips from people on here like from Fleet, RussP & bowles10... the list is endless lol "btw keep up the great work" but if anybody can get back to me & help me out that would be great :) cheers John

Re: ratings JL, the ratings against a horse name is the Official Rating (OR) set by the BHB (British Horseracing Board). It is basically a rating of lbs therefore if it was a handicap, say Class 2 (which used to be say horses rated 80-100 h'cap), each horse would have to be in that range to enter the race. The top weight would be the highest rated i.e 100, they would then follow down to the lowest weight nearest to 80. Therefore, the top weight could carry 9st 10lb & the bottom weight 20lb less making it 8st 4lb. The horses to watch for are those that have tumbled down the weights to a previous winning mark i.e a horse may have 3 runs & rated 100, 98, 97 for those 3 runs. The 4th run may see it off say 95, therefore it should be assumed that the horse will be 5lb better than its 1st outing in that run giving it a better chance. I hope the above makes sense, it is just difficult to explain it !

Re: ratings In handicaps every horse as an offical rating set by the handicaper for each handicap race and the better the class races will have higher ratings than the poor class races.The top weight will have the highest rating and the bottom weight will have the lowest and these can be found in the racing post. If a horse wins in these type of races it will given more weight to carry next time if in the same class of handicap and therefore its rating will go higher. On the other hand if a horse continues to lose the handicaper will gradually lower its rating so the horse will run of less weight in its next race. Thats why if you read the racing papers or sum dailys you might see a remark that a horse thats been droped in weight is back on a rating it last won on.In non handicaps once a horse has ran to a certain standard its alloted a specific rating if it was to carry 10 stone[ithink] and when it runs at a lower weight than 10 st 1 pt is added to that rating and if higher than 10 st 1pt deducted. Also the offical rating for these horses can change over a period of time if was to improve.I think its the Weekender that is published on a Wenesday that tells you all the latest changes. Their are also many racing publications that do their own ratings like Timeform but whether they perform well thats another matter.In sprint races many people like to rely on somebodys time ratings or a mixture of both.Thier are many people on the forum that you have mentioned who do very well and some will be based on ratings and others on systems or trends or reading form and always read there 1st threads and it may give you some idea as to how they have arrived at their selections. THE % MAN