Advice on Tilt

Gman

I play mainly cash games and do reasonably, however I feel that I would win a lot more if I could stop going on tilt. Ths tends to happen after taking either a bad beat or after making a suspect play. I will start playing hands that I wouldn't usually play and paying to see flops in blind hope of hitting something. If i do hit any sort of hand I'm prepared to commit a lot of chips to it and am susceptible to losing a lot of chips. This morninng for example I was around $50 up before titlting and ending up $10 up, now while this is still more than I started with it is hard for me to be positive about this as it feels like a loss :wall Does anyone have any advice or techniques to stop this happening?

Re: Advice on Tilt I am the queen of tilt. I don't always follow my own advice, but for what its worth, these are some some strategies that I use to stop a loss from turning into a nightmare. 1. Turn off your PC (simpler than it looks - and the most effective preventative measure against tilt) 2. If you can't do that..try and look honestly at the hands that you lost and might be the indicator for your tilt. Honestly assess what you've got wrong and what you've got right. If someone got lucky on you, good luck to them - and just try and forget about it 3. Disassociate yourself from the money you've lost - poker is just one long game with variances. You don't have to make it all back this afternoon 4. I find it helpful to just restrict myself to playing the top 5 hands for a bit and do something else worthwhile until I hit - my inbox always need cleaning out. I usually have friends online I could talk to about the tilt too 5. don't play tired, take lots of breaks 6. Really, try turning off your PC and doing something else for a bit and if you really can't bring yoursef to do that.... I find a change of site someimes works wonders but you know all this really, you just needed reminding :tongue2

Re: Advice on Tilt personally i play minesweeper while i play poker, since about the same level of guesswork skill and reasoning goes into it (on the custom level with 150 mines) i can track my poker play as i play minesweeper because i can see my frustrations or my tilt in where i click, and how fast i lose :p sounds silly but it works :)