Rugby League: Super League - Round 5

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 MY take on Today's/Tomorrows betting. Thursday Leigh Miners (+26) v Rochdale Hornets (-18.5) Leigh Miners are not a bad little side but by the same token Rochdale are alot better. Seems the bookies think there is a small chance of an upset with the best H'cap I can find against Rochdale -18.5. Rochdale are away, yes, but they beat Halifax away a couple of weeks ago which is a very tough place to go and get a result. Recommended: Rochdale -18.5 (1/2 @ Betfair) Strength: (6/10) My bet: Small stake on Rochdale -20 (5/6 Hills) Friday Whitehaven v PIA (+12/16) Already been discussed this one. Would of been a good bet if the bookies hadn't of woken up. As with the current h'cap I think it would be best to stay away from it. PIA are the best team in France but away to Whitehaven is probably the most difficult tie you could get at this stage of the Comp. Recommended: No Bets My Bets: None Bradford v Hull (+12/16) Like the Saints match last week I think i'm going to take a different approach to this match. Depending on which Hull team turns up I think it will be relatively easy for Bradford. Dissapointing result for Hull last week and I think this is the start of some bad form for them where as Bradford IMO are the best team in SL at the moment. I think i'll have three bets on Bradford to win by a margain of either 11-15, 16-20, and 21-25 with 16-20 being my main bet @ 11/2 and other two as covering bets. Reccomended: Bradford -12 (10/11 Skybet) Strength: 7/10 My bets: See above Wigan v Warrington (+6/8) Two teams here wanting to bounce back poor results last week. Having seen both teams play they are both pretty even and I think the headstart for wire represents home advantage for Wigan. I really think i should stay away from this one but there is something pulling me towards wire winning the game outright. Reccomended: Wire to win the game outright (2/1 skybet) Strength (2/10) My bets: Probably a small bet on Warrington to win the game outright. By the way my Strength ratings are just my own personal ratings. 1-3 is risky tip, usually based on a hunch, 4-6 the kind of rating i'd give to something that should happen but theres more than a chance it won't, 7-9 a proper tip to get your money on. 10 banker.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5

Not sure if anyone has seen this before, but it's got me a bit stumped as to whether there's any real value in it. Sportingodds pay e/w 1/4 1,2,3,4 on 1st tryscorer. I realise it's only money back on Vainikolo, but someone like Hape 10/1 or Yeaman 16/1 who are both in good scoring form might be worth a few quid as they could both go over within the first 4 tries. Any thoughts?
I quite often do first try scorers with bet365 Penguin. They offer the same 1/4 1,2,3,4 and usually you can make a bit of loose money out of it. As you say this week you get 2.5/1 that Hape scores 1 of the 1st 4 tries and should he get the 1st one then even better. It's well worth a go if you ask me, particularly when Bradford play as Vainikolo is always a very short favourite yet the tries do get shared around a bit more than the odds suggest.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Taken two smallish singles on Rochdale -20pts and (a bit more on) Workington -14pts. :hope Will try to write some of the Super League previews a little later tonight or first thing in the morning (As it stands. it looks as though Saints, Wakefield and Bradford could be my picks). Once again, its great to see more and more thoughts and posts on the RL threads....:D Good luck with everyone having bets tonight. :hope

Taken two smallish singles on Rochdale -20pts and (a bit more on) Workington -14pts. :hope
Powergen Challenge Cup Third Round
Leigh MR (0) 6 Rochdale (16) 34
Tries: RidyardCantillon, Patterson, Bunyan, Varkulis, Goulden, Firth
Goals: RidyardMcCully 4, Bunyan
Attend: 1,200
:nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana Don't know whether I should plough the winnings onto Workington -14pts now!! :beer

Leigh Miners (+26) v Rochdale Hornets (-18.5) Leigh Miners are not a bad little side but by the same token Rochdale are alot better. Seems the bookies think there is a small chance of an upset with the best H'cap I can find against Rochdale -18.5. Rochdale are away, yes, but they beat Halifax away a couple of weeks ago which is a very tough place to go and get a result. Recommended: Rochdale -18.5 (1/2 @ Betfair) Strength: (6/10) My bet: Small stake on Rochdale -20 (5/6 Hills)
Final score Leigh Miners 6 - 34 Rochdale Hornets;) Well done Mr Rugby Lad and anyone else who got on it.

Final score Leigh Miners 6 - 34 Rochdale Hornets;) Well done Mr Rugby Lad and anyone else who got on it.
Well done Sandbag :clap Great tipping yet again and I hope others followed you. You are soon becoming a PL Rugby Legend.....;) Shall I double or quit with Workington?? :lol

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Totally up to you mate. I think both me and Punto agree that Workington are a good bet. From what I've picked up Thornhill are very average, Leigh Miners are a better side for example. I think the key factor is that the match will actually be played at Dewsbury's ground which takes away most of the home advantage Thornhill would of got, grotty chaning rooms etc. Workington will be used to playing infront of a crowd. That said this is Rugby League, anything could happen.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Fantastic tipping there SB! I too would have backed Pia when it was +26 but I think they have got it spot on now. I'm going to post something tomorrow about the remaining CC games. One thing I'm going to consider is that Skybet, Will hill etc on the handicaps offer "handicap tie" with odds of 16/1 to 20/1 or thereabouts. be interesting to follow how many of these actually come in wouldn't it?

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 I like the look of 4 bets this week. 10pts Bradford (-12) to beat Hull 10/11 Skybet These 2 met 3 times last year and the Bulls won 71-0, 49-6 and 42-24. Hull obviously don't like facing Bradford at the best of times but having lost their last 2 matches and going into this one without 3 key forwards they aren't going to like it this time either! Bradford have started the season off in superb form and they can continue it here. 5pts ew S.Hape to score 1st try (1/4 1,2,3,4) 10/1 Sporting Odds My 1st 1st tryscorer bet of the season and I like the odds here. Hape scored in both games he played against Hull last season and has started the season off on fire. With Vainikolo not yet up to full pelt Hape may well go over at a nice price. 10pts Wigan (-6) to beat Warrington 10/11 Bet365 Both sides have played 4 and lost 3 this season but I think home advantage for Wigan where they are traditionally tough to beat could hold the key in this one. The other reason I like this bet is because although Wigan's record this season isn't great they have been socring points which is something the Wolves have struggled to do. They've only scored over 20 once this season. 10pts Wakefield to beat Salford 12/5 Bet365 Salford have started the season off incredibly well this season and credit to them for that but I think they could have their work cut out in this one. Wakefield have David Solomona in their ranks and he can win matches on his own. They also have a great defence as proved last week against Huddersfield where they so nearly held out despite being down to 12 men for 10 mins towards the end. As it was it took a dodgy call to see Huddersfield over the line. A little bit more luck this week and another good Solomona performance could see the points heading back East. Total Staked 160pts Total Returns 133.89pts W/L 7/5 Outstanding Bets 4 Strike Rate 58% Profit/Loss +13.89pts

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Bradford Bulls vs Hull FC (+12/16pts) _41404314_brad_hull_06.gif I can't disagree with whats been said about this game so far... Don’t think we are going to have another 71-0 humiliating defeat for Hull this time around, but I do think the Bulls are going to run out comfortable winners and succumb Hull to their third straight defeat in Super League. Bradford are playing the best rugby in the league right now, and I have been lucky enough to back them in the last two rounds (vs Salford & Catalans -14pts). Its seems as though they have been scoring tries for fun all over the park and should give Hulls normally tight defence a real testing.

‘Hulls normally tight defence’ has been severely dented with skipper Richard Swain and bit hitters Ewan Dowes and Shayne McMenemy all sidelined. They have had to switch players into some unfamiliar positions (Motu Tony at hooker) and have named the young debutante prop, Scott Wheeldon in the squad. Surely this is enough to for Bradford to pin point and exploit.

Bradford only long term injury is Brad Meyers who will be out with a knee injury for around 3 months.

Bradford should cover the 12pts ask of them here, I personally see them scoring around 10/12pts more than Hull per half. Bradford: Vainikolo, Deacon, Bai, Fielden, B Harris, Gene, Pryce, Ferres, Cook, Vagana, Langley, Hape, McKenna, Johnson, Lynch, Withers, Watene, Henderson, Smith, I. Harris.

Hull: Briscoe, Yeaman, Domic, Raynor, Whiting, R Horne, Carvell, Radford, McMenemy, Cooke, Tony, King, Chester, Lupton, Brough, Thackray, Dixon, Wheeldon, Hill, Hall.

Recommendation – Bradford -12pts @ 1.90 Sky bet

(Prediction – Bradford win by 20/22pts)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves (+6pts) _41404324_wigan_warrington_06.gif I am going to stay away from this one..... Both sides have had a very poor start to Super League and a win for either side (over a playoff rival) may get their season back on track. The side that loses this game will face a uphill battle for the 6 top, not just in terms of number of points, but confidence and momentum. Both sides have had good news on the injury front. The home side welcome back their skipper Sean O'Loughlin after he missed last weeks defeat at Salford, Paul Prescott and Byran Fletcher return to the Warriors line-up after long term injuries (personally I am not convinced that these two will be anywhere near match fit). Warrington have Logan Swann and Rob Parker, which should give their pack a much needed boost (Swann being Warrington's most creative forward). This game could go either way to be honest and I wouldnt be confident putting money on either team. Even though we are still early in the season, this is a game both sides cannot afford to lose in the race for the playoffs. I will be hoping for a Wolves victory nevertheless..... :) Good luck with your bets on this one :hope Wigan (from): Ashton, Brown, Calderwood, Dallas, Godwin, Hargreaves, Hansen, Higham, Paleaaesina, Logan, Moran, O'Loughlin, Orr, Prescott, Richards, Seu Seu, Tickle, Vaealiki. Warrington (from): Grose, Fa'afili, M Gleeson, Kohe-Love, Briers, Sullivan, Leikvoll, Clarke, Hilton, Swann, Wainwright, Noone, M Gleeson, Westwood, Wood, Barnett, Parker, Bridge. Recommendation - No bet (Prediction - narrow victory for either side, or possibly the draw)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Well have taken Bulls -14 (10/11 as opposed 4/6 -12), also gone for Hape 1st try e/w 1234 & Yeaman 1st try e/w 1234. Found i had a free £15 bet with sporting odds so chucked it on over 45.5 points @ 5/6. Good luck all :hope

Did you see that forward pass by Brough to set up Hull's try.... How did the ref or the liners not spot that!!!
Yep sure did, was a disgrace. Looks closer then most folk thought, hope Hull tire and the Bulls can rack up a few points. Should've taken the Wolves but left it alone.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Full Time scores....

bradfordbulls.gifBradford1812Hullhullfc.gif
wiganwarriors.gif Wigan1224Warringtonwarringtonwolves.gif
Great win for Warrington :nana Lee Briers scoring 4 drop goals.... Bradford had their chances to cover the -12pts (that try from Cook probably should have stood and the momentum was all with Hull after their first try (which was a forward pass lol)) Enough excuses, Hull played and battled well and could have won the game easily.

Wigan v Warrington (+6/8) Two teams here wanting to bounce back poor results last week. Having seen both teams play they are both pretty even and I think the headstart for wire represents home advantage for Wigan. I really think i should stay away from this one but there is something pulling me towards wire winning the game outright. Reccomended: Wire to win the game outright (2/1 skybet) Strength (2/10) My bets: Probably a small bet on Warrington to win the game outright.
;) Don't know what happened to Bradford, looked very tired to me, maybe the trip down to France took something out of them. I was good to stay away from the Whitehaven game - Haven 72 - 0 Pia:eek

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Not at all happy with that, too many wrong decisions and two sides that cancelled each other out to some degree. Maybe if the Bulls threequaters came in field to look for work it could have been a different story, pryce did sod all untill given the ball never once went looking for it. Aw well on to tomorrow and a whole new game.

Not at all happy with that, too many wrong decisions and two sides that cancelled each other out to some degree. Maybe if the Bulls threequaters came in field to look for work it could have been a different story, pryce did sod all untill given the ball never once went looking for it. Aw well on to tomorrow and a whole new game.
Agree with you there mate, tomorrow is another day :D, just one of those games like Sandbag said the Bulls looked tired at times. Very similar to the Harlequins game. In my opinion Hull scoring just before the break was the turning point.

I was good to stay away from the Whitehaven game - Haven 72 - 0 Pia:eek
Bloody hell mate...talk about a drumming....who would had expected that? Toulouse should still be ok for this weekend though? They are better than Pia or similar standard at least?? and Blackpool are certainly no Whitehaven. Do you know if any other firms other than skybet will be offering hcaps on these games....?

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 I hope so mate i've already got my money on Toulouse so i'm putting this down as freak result. Like I said Whitehaven away is probably the toughest draw you can get that this stage of the cup IMO and theres a gap between the standard of Whitehaven and Blackpool. If I remember rightly Toulouse are the only team to beat PIA this season in the French league and should finish in the top 2. Hell of a score that though, has got me a little bit worried if i'm honest. Hills usually usually do but put their odds up a day before the games, earliest. Only really use them two.

I like the look of 4 bets this week. 10pts Bradford (-12) to beat Hull 10/11 Skybet These 2 met 3 times last year and the Bulls won 71-0, 49-6 and 42-24. Hull obviously don't like facing Bradford at the best of times but having lost their last 2 matches and going into this one without 3 key forwards they aren't going to like it this time either! Bradford have started the season off in superb form and they can continue it here. 5pts ew S.Hape to score 1st try (1/4 1,2,3,4) 10/1 Sporting Odds My 1st 1st tryscorer bet of the season and I like the odds here. Hape scored in both games he played against Hull last season and has started the season off on fire. With Vainikolo not yet up to full pelt Hape may well go over at a nice price. 10pts Wigan (-6) to beat Warrington 10/11 Bet365 Both sides have played 4 and lost 3 this season but I think home advantage for Wigan where they are traditionally tough to beat could hold the key in this one. The other reason I like this bet is because although Wigan's record this season isn't great they have been socring points which is something the Wolves have struggled to do. They've only scored over 20 once this season. 10pts Wakefield to beat Salford 12/5 Bet365 Salford have started the season off incredibly well this season and credit to them for that but I think they could have their work cut out in this one. Wakefield have David Solomona in their ranks and he can win matches on his own. They also have a great defence as proved last week against Huddersfield where they so nearly held out despite being down to 12 men for 10 mins towards the end. As it was it took a dodgy call to see Huddersfield over the line. A little bit more luck this week and another good Solomona performance could see the points heading back East. Total Staked 160pts Total Returns 133.89pts W/L 7/5 Outstanding Bets 4 Strike Rate 58% Profit/Loss +13.89pts
Hmm, as nights go tonight was pisspoor :wall :wall . Could really do with a Wakefield win tomorrow night!! Total Staked 160pts Total Returns 133.89pts W/L 7/8 Outstanding bets 1 Strike Rate 45% Profit/Loss -16.11pts

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Just got in from the boozer. Cracking bet Sandbag with Warrington. I can't believe the Pia score?!?!? Christ! I'm totally unsure about Toulouse now, they had a good run last year and they should beat Blackpool easily, only concern is the Weather?

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Salford City Reds vs Wakefield Wildcats (+4/10pts) _41423852_salford_wakefield_06.gif In my opinion, two evenly matched teams here with mixed fortunes so far in Super League. Wakefield most certainly have to quality to win this one, which is why I have taken the +10pts kindly offered at betfred. I am a big fan of the Wildcats, week in, week out I expect to get their season on track. They were very unlucky against Huddersfield last week and have only put in one bad performance at Hull this season. Solomona is bagging some great tries for them, a big game is needed from him today. More importantly for the Wildcats, scrum-half, Sam Obst returns from suspension which should balance the side out a little with David March able to return to hooker. Salford have no real injury worries, Ray Clayton is likely to make an appearance from the bench in place of Rutgerson. This will be the first time this season, I have seen these two sides play and I am looking forward to a fascinating arm wrestle of a match, I dont think it will be pretty rugby tonight. As always, both sides have massive incentives to win and both will believe they are more than capable of doing so. I am going to stick my neck out and say it will be the Wildcats taking away the 2pts, but just going to opt for the +10pts on the handicap. Salford 20-man squad: Fitzpatrick, Hodgson, Moule, Stewart, Dunemann, Robinson, Coley, Alker, Finnigan, Charles, Highton, Langi, Wilshere, Haggerty, Littler, Clough, Baldwin, Brocklehurst, Clayton, Jonkers. Wakefield 20-man squad: Halpenny, Demetriou, Whittle, Tadulala, Jeffries, Obst , Griffin, March, Korkidas, Solomona, J. Field, Betham, White, Wrench, MacGillivray, Elima, Henderson, Applegarth, Catic, Saxton. Recommendation - Wakefield +10pts @ betfred (2pts) (Prediction - Wakefield win by 6pts) (Scale - 1 - 5)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Les Catalan Dragons vs Leeds Rhinos (-26/30) _41404340_catalans_leeds_06.gif I was going to punt some on Leeds -26pts against the struggling French, side that got a proper rugby lesson last week against the Bradford Bulls. I still think they will cover 26pts, but Smith, has named a couple of youngsters in his squad, who should gain some good experience from this encounter, but has put me off somewhat, from backing them. Leeds will have too much up front for Les Catalans, and should be able to contain Les Catalans big pack. It will be interesting to see how the Australian stand-in scrum-half Mick Dobson deals with filling the boots for the injuried Stacey Jones. Leeds to win this by at least 6 tries. Catalans (from): Beattie, Berthezene, Chan, Bosc, Dobson, Frayssinous, Fakir, Guisset, Fellous, Guigue, Hindmarsh, Murphy, Mounis, Sadaoui, Rudder, Verges, Wilson, Rinaldi, Teixido, Touxagas. Leeds (from): Mathers, Donald, Walker, Senior, Smith, McGuire, Burrow, Bailey, Diskin, Peacock, Lauitiiti, Sinfield, Millard, Poching, Feather, Scruton, Ablett, Kirke, Williams, Tansey. Recommendation - No Bet Leeds should be able to cover 26pts (Prediction - Leeds win by 32/34pts)

GL with Wakey mate, should be a close game. Not having a bet myself today but if i were i think i'd of took Salford 1/2 to win the game outright.
Cheers mate ;) Should be a close one, just cant see 10pts between them, but who knows, Salford arent where they are in the league through luck. :hope

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Can't decide on tonights game the +10 does look good, but Salford are more than capable of scoring and keeping Wakey at bay with their good defence. May well just pick a player to score in 80mins, might even have a go on the hcp draw. Will have to have a good study later.