Advice sought

Pobby

I am a bit of a novice as far as texas hold em is concerned. I have played a few games with mates and generally do OK as I have the basic concepts and I also watch a lot on TV, however, I was in Ireland last week on holiday and entered the VC pub challenge in a pub for a laugh. I came 2nd and have qualified for the semi. The semi-final is online, I have never played online. I want to start playing online and also get more of a grasp of correct play i.e. what to play from different table positions etc. etc. Where would be the best place to start playing online? I understand that the free tables are a waste of time as everyone plays every hand. Also where would be the best place to find out about correct strategies etc. etc. I don't fully understand "limping in" "representing the ace" and all that when they say it on TV. At the moment it is all on instinct. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Advice sought If you've never played on-line then I'd recommend installing the software for the provider that's hosting the semi. That way you can play some games to get a grip on how it works before hand. There's a few folk will tell you that different poker programmes all play differently so it would be a worthwhile exercise! :ok

Re: Advice sought Good advice from brael, if it was a VC pub challenge you won then it will be VC you need to download. I agree that play money games are not worth the effort but you can play freerolls where the standard is higher and you may win cash, look at the list on Poker tuesday for some of the best. Good luck at the tables :nana